“Restaurant Week Dinner Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Clarke Cooke House

Clarke Cooke House
Ranked #35 of 232 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bergen County New Jersey
“Restaurant Week Dinner Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had dinner during restaurant week in Newport at Clark Cooke House, in the Candy Store Restaurant. This was our second time dining here, and again we enjoyed a delicious dinner in a beautifully atmospheric restaurant.
For this dinner we chose an option off of the restaurant week special menu. We opted for the pan fried crab cake for an appetizer which was wonderful. For the entree we had the braised lamb shank. This was absolutely delicious! The meat was so tender that it fell right off the bone!!! It was accompanied by a butternut squash risotto, pancetta, and black trumpet mushrooms.
To top it all off, we had the Snowball in Hell for dessert. It was decadent and delicious. I don't want to even think how many calories were in that, but definitely worth the indulgence.
There was special pricing for restaurant week, so on top of being a wonderful dinner, it was a great bargain! The service was superb, and the atmosphere and food top notch. We also liked that The Clarke Cooke House takes reservations.

• Visited April 2013

New York City, New York
“Sailor Haven”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Looking for a sailor/yacht bar, Clarke Cooke House is your spot. Visited this world renowned spot on a Saturday night for some drinks after dinner. Good, high brow crowd drinking heavily and listening to the jams of a great local band. Did not eat so no comment on the food. The place looks out on to the docks of Newport and is decorated with sailing yacht models, sailing pictures and other assorted sailing memorabilia. Would definitely revisit the next we are in Newport although i am sure it is a mad house in the summer time when yacht/sailing season is in full swing. Honest is apparently the policy of this place too. I realized i did not have my wallet the next morning and stopped by the following day to see if i dropped it at the bar. Sure enough the manager had it locked up with the cash all accounted for. I guess there still is a level of respect in the world.

• Visited April 2013
“Shoddy shack”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

The extreme tourist trap for Newport. If you like overpriced food that the local catering school could have slopped onto your plate this is the place to come. From the inattentive waiter to the pineapple curry to the preppy clientele this "restaurant" is a shocker. You will get better experience eating in at KFC.

Visited April 2013
Boston
“Major disappointment. Over rated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Went to dinner with a group of 8 people . Service was poor, but the only thing worse was the food. We had steak....it was fatty and grizzly but the worse part was the food came out cold.....all 4 steaks were cold and when 2 people sent the steaks back....they came back the the same way...medium COLD. Side dishes were tasteless and and a poor choice for a so called high end restaurant. Meal ended on a low note when coffee was served....we asked for artificial sweetener...anyone of the major 3 were fine....the response was no problem....we have splendor....but it never came as coffee sat there getting cold....on the way out I stopped by to express our lousy experience to the maitre dee who said...Oh Im sorry and then simply walked away quickly without another comment.....my advice...stay away from this tourist trap....it's not worth the wait or especially the price!

Newport, Rhode Island
“There is Good and Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

The Cooke House is an institution in Newport, no doubt. It's always listed as one of the top sailor's bars in the world and the reason why is evident all around you when you're there. I go there regularly despite it's faults - maybe because this is a small town and choices are limited. It has many different facets with the Sky Bar, Candy Store, Midway, Boom Boom Room - you can be there at the same time as friends and never know they're there. In the summer it draws me in - though I must admit I need to be in the mood for it. As a local I've found that my experience there can be very different depending on who I am there with - meaning it depends who you know.

The good: The best sushi in town, with the sushi bar open Memorial Day to Labor Day, great atmosphere (except maybe the Boom Boom Room), one of my favorite brunches when I have a hankering for a benedict, great music when the Foreverly Brothers are playing, nice to sit by the fire in the winter, the place to go if you have a little liquid lubrication and feel like dancing.

The Bad: Can get crazy in the summer, certain bartenders can be rude, the service can be bad and certain waitresses have attitude, Boom Boom Room becomes overrun with bachelorette parties and sloppy drunks and you don't want to see it with the lights on, the music down there is awful if you want any new club music, the food (excluding the sushi) is inconsistent and seriously overpriced, the cocktails are seriously TINY and overpriced, and they have a poor beer selection.

All that said, I still go! And usually have a good time.

Visited March 2013

Been to Clarke Cooke House? Share your experiences!