“Empty place.. Bad hours”

El Perrito -Taqueria-
Ranked #144 of 234 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Mexican
Newport, Rhode Island
“Empty place.. Bad hours”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Been by more than once trying to figure if its open or not.... Sometimes dark inside.... Sometimes no peeps...
I didn't know one could find or purchase a taco , So Small ..?

Visited November 2013

Oakland Gardens
“Keep on walking pass this place. ”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Had the pork n braised beef tacos. They looked good but had no taste after the first bite. Taco bell is better place to eat at. Avocado fries were burnt. I think the just reheated them because we got our food in less then 5 mins.

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Shrimp Tacos”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Shrimp and chicken tacos were mouth watering!!! Well worth the money... A little mom and pop shop but very warming

• Visited August 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Yummiest & very inexpensive!!!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

El Perrito is on 190 Thames St. Very easy to miss them as they are at ground (garden) level. I would not have spotted them had I not seen a family sitting at their outside counter . They have a menu placed outside which really helps. We had been eating at all the other places where a dinner for 2 would costs $75!!! I was sick of forking out so much money for food and when I stumbled upon this place, I was so thrilled. I ordered the Tamarind Braised Short Rib taco and the Calabecitas (squash, spinach, mushroom, corn, quest fresco). Each costs $2.75. My daughter had the Fish taco (cabbage slaw, chipotle mayo) and Pork Carnitas. Everything was awesome, very very delicious!!!! Best tacos I ever had!!!! Presentation was creative and beautiful. If you are ever in Newport, definitely check out this little joint. We were there for dinner on Saturday. They were open. Other reviewers said they were only open for lunch?

Visited June 2013
Phoenix
“Great Mexican Food in Newport, Rhode Island....really”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I walked by this little place every evening when we were out and it was always closed. I finally saw that it is only open till around 2 PM. We made it for lunch towards the end of our visit. What a delight! I am from Phoenix and have been eating Mexican food, of all kinds, for decades. This was as good as any I have had. It is a simple, little restaurant where you order at the counter. They are cooking the tortillas (which they make!) and food right in front of you but don't be fooled by the basic set-up. They have some creative and absolutely delicious items on the menu. I had tamarind short rib tacos and chicken tinga tacos. They were incredible! My husband had a chicken tostada. I wanted to sample everything I saw on everyone else's table so I didn't miss a thing (I didn't but I would have!!). Check out the menu on their website and make sure you make time to eat there. We didn't find them until our last day and that is a shame!

Visited April 2013