“Great Mexican Food in Newport, Rhode Island....really”

El Perrito -Taqueria-
Ranked #154 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I walked by this little place every evening when we were out and it was always closed. I finally saw that it is only open till around 2 PM. We made it for lunch towards the end of our visit. What a delight! I am from Phoenix and have been eating Mexican food, of all kinds, for decades. This was as good as any I have had. It is a simple, little restaurant where you order at the counter. They are cooking the tortillas (which they make!) and food right in front of you but don't be fooled by the basic set-up. They have some creative and absolutely delicious items on the menu. I had tamarind short rib tacos and chicken tinga tacos. They were incredible! My husband had a chicken tostada. I wanted to sample everything I saw on everyone else's table so I didn't miss a thing (I didn't but I would have!!). Check out the menu on their website and make sure you make time to eat there. We didn't find them until our last day and that is a shame!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

As everyone else has noted: this is lunch only. It's right on Thames, super convenient location, and casual enough to get your hands dirty. It's BYOB too (wish I had known ahead of time!)

The tacos are awesome. We got some shortrib ones, some fish tacos, one with sausage and potatoes, and shrimp. It came out to be about $10 per person, but we were filled. The avacado and yucca fries are so worth it (I'd come just for those). Sharing is caring, so bring a bunch of friends and sample as much as you can. So good.

You can sit inside, or grab an outside barstool, where you can look up and people watch. I'd come back to Newport for this place.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I wrote a review earlier for Perro Salado. It's only open for dinner. El Perrito, is the sister restaurant, smaller, and open only for lunch. It's location is directly on Thames and although more casual and smaller, it's food is grand and excellent.