“Great place to spend a week!”

Wyndham Newport Onshore
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Newport
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great place to spend a week!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

We just returned from a week at the onshore. We had a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath RCI exchange and it was indeed comfortable and quite nice inside. 2 balconies overlooking the water & bridge. Beds were ok but on the soft side for my liking. Nice fireplace, 3 Tvs. Kitchen had new cuisinart appliances, thats if you want to cook. There are so many good places to eat in the area , though we did buy lobster one night and steam them ourselves.
Everyone at the front desk was super nice...Peter was really super. I had booked the wrong date by accident and they picked up on that and called me to correct my error.
Middle of winter is very quiet and peaceful here, and this is why we came from NYC. We would not attempt to stay here in the summer, though im sure its beautiful, we just dont like crowds. We didnt use the indoor pool but it looked nice, and only one parking space is allowed per room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank campo84748

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

while my friends and i are celebrating Oktoberfest at Newport its good to know that we got a place that we can relax to after a night of partying. the amenities are great. I can't complain for the price that we paid. i would definitely stay here next year

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MMunoz1090
Litchfield, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2010

This is a time share unit of a family member of mine. The location is great; near shopping and restaurants. I love the way both ends of the room have great views and each a deck--one side of the room views the pool and the other side views the marina. The room needs a bit updating; but is clean (not immaculate, but clean), very spacious and comfortable. The 2-bedroom unit I stayed in had a fridge, micro, washer/dryer, dishwasher. Very convenient with small kitchen appliances and plates/utensils/cookware, etc. Staff was pleasant.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank NewEnglandFun
Hockessin, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

Traveled to Newport with another family and extra teenager for a regatta. Found this condo on VRBO and the price @ $325 was much more favorable than the hotels charging $180/night, since we would have needed 3 rooms. Stayed in room 433. Building was right on water , balcony had great view of Newport Bridge! Rooms were older , but clean. Full kitchen, 2 baths & bedrooms and a sofa sleeper and two balconies on either side of the condo . Also a washer dryer. Condos were large and 5 of us were able to comfortably spread out. This was not the Taj Mahal, however, beds were comfortable, place was clean, furniture was in great shape and the location was AWESOME, (it was right off of Thames St. accessible to shopping, entertainment, water, etc.!! ) Other than the furniture fully equpped kitchen, there were no other decorations, but that was not what we were there for. Property itself had two pools--one enclosed and one outside, a small play area and grills. Staff at front desk were very helpful!

Two items of note. Parking was limited/tight.--Each room was allowed one spot and since we requested a second as we had too cars they let us park one behind the other in an extra long spot at the entrance. Not optimal..but still free. On the weekend, the lot was packed full, however during the week there were a lot of empty spoots, but they still weren't very able to let us utilize any of them, I suppose because they are a time share property and had were not able to anticipate what spaces might be free. They do have another property a couple blocks away tha tcan accomodate overflow parking for $10/night.

I found the place through VRBO and it turns out an operation called Ocean State REntals was acting as an agent for the time share owner. I found Ocean State--specifically the woman I dealt with named Lisa to not be helpful and pretty much rude after I paid for the room in full. It took her 2 weeks to send specific details on the property and the room. When I emailed her just to verify she received my Credit card payment, she was rudeand annoyed and reminded me that I would get a second email with specific details at some later date (which turned out to be 3 days before I checked in) despite reseerving the place 3 wks in advance, her details on the VRBO site were not specific to the room. Also, her details re: the room were inaccurate--she had not idea if there was a full stove/oven in the room( she told me she had too many rentals to keep track of that info) and I had told her my party would be hauling two trailers that would need to be stored in the parking lot for one night and she told me there was tons of parking, which turned out not to be the case.

Long story short--call the Wyndham directly and reserve the place. Once Ocean State REntals gave me the name and address of the property, I was able to call the front desk who answered all my specific questions, helped us find a place to store the trailers, and were down right friendly!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank summerfun3711
zflys
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

I stayed in the two bedroom suite with four people. The setup was perfect for our stay. Each couple had separate sleeping areas and bathrooms. There is a full kitchen, dining room table, living room area, washer and dryer, and two good size porches with table and chairs. The kitchen has everything you need to cook and serve food. It even has a dishwasher. We were on the second floor, which is actually the first floor with rooms, overlooking the pool. You can also see yachts and boats in the marina from the porch. The pool was busy during the day, but there were always lounge chairs available. And it wasn't too noisy. We stayed during the week, the weekends might be more crowded. The location couldn't be better, the hotel is right in the middle of Thames street where a lot of the shopping and restaurants are. We walked to dinner most nights. I enjoyed my time here and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank zflys
Martinsville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

My first stay and I must say would go back. Beds slept very well, always a good supply of towels, laundry soap, dishes, etc. Close to down town shopping, catch a tour boat, restaurants, cliff walk, you name it.
We visited family while there and was able to see a lot of the history of Newport. Karen from Wyndaham Hotel took very good care of us with events going on and coupons. Very impressed with this trip.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank kjcquilts
delaware
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

If you like dirty out dated style of living maybe this is your spot?? If you like mold and disrepair in your life, this is you. So far Wyndham is right up there with motel 6 in my book. My advice is look else where.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple