“Best place in Newport”

Ranked #73 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Galway, Ireland
“Best place in Newport”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

I loved the Inn Bliss. I was originally booked to stay at the Architect's Inn, and was offered an upgrade when I arrived - all the way from one of the cheaper rooms at Architect's to Nellie's Room at Inn Bliss, which consisted of a large bedroom, a separate sitting room, and a split bathroom (toilet in one tiny room, bathtub and sink separate)! I also gained access to a a hot tub, as Inn Bliss has one, but Architect's does not. Talk about excellent customer service.

While the location is slightly more removed from downtown Newport, the peaceful environment and quiet neighborhood is well worth it. The parking was on-street, which I think could be a bit troublesome during high season, but I didn't have much of a problem with it.

Nellie's Suite was extremely nice. The bed was unbelievably comfortable; it is listed as a king, but I've never seen a bed that large in my life. There is a mini-fridge in the suite, and a futon in the sitting room. The bathtub was quite deep, which certainly suits my tastes.

I stayed a subsequent time in Lucretia's Room on the second floor as well. The bathroom is separate, which some may not like, but the bathtub is absolutely massive, and I enjoyed relaxing after work when I stayed there (I was in Newport on business). Lucretia's Room also has a small separate room, along with a nook that had a mini fridge and a microwave.

But I think perhaps the best part of Inn Bliss was the service. As I said, I was upgraded from the cheapest room at Architect's to the most expensive one at Inn Bliss upon arrival. I was also given a full tour of the property, and the operation of the hot tub was explained to me. After getting back from work one day during my first stay, one of the owners knocked on my door; he had just made chocolates, and wanted to offer me some. How many places give that kind of hospitality?

In case you can't tell, I cannot recommend this place enough.

Room Tip: Although the bathroom is separate for Lucretia's Room, if you don't mind crossing the hall...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Damariscotta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Merrimack, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed two nights in the Nellie Suite while attending parent/student orientation days at Salve Regina University in June. The house has such character. Thoughtful touches throughout the home, including fresh cut flowers from the garden and freshly baked brownies at the bedside table. We were fortunate to partake in a delicious gourmet breakfast that left us wanting more. Thanks to the talents of culinary phantom -Brian, the co-owner. Nick, co-owner and our host, was a hospitable hoot to chat with! So friendly, fun, and forthcoming with great suggestions on the local hot spots and historical tidbits. Walking distance to shops, restaurants, and theatre.

We enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning while our daughter attends college at Salve.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I loved this place. Its so elegant, yet cozy and adorable. The hosts were so knowledgeable of the area and very accommodating. The food was magnificent and perfectly prepared. They go out f their way to insure that your stay is a pleasant one. I'm a big stickler for cleanliness and I was not disappointed. I felt so welcomed. The price was a lot less than I would have guessed. You definitely get more than what you pay for at Inn Bliss. I feel absolutely rejuvenated and can hardly wait to go back.

Room Tip: For just a little more, I would recommend one of the suites.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Believe55
SeaTac, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Overall, a very good stay. We were originally booked at the architects Inn, but were transferred here upon arrival. The host very very friendly and helpful. The suite that we stayed (top floor, forget the name) was very clean, however strangely laid out. The bathroom is in what was once a small closet and very hard to manouver in even though we are relatively small people. I would not suggest this particular suite to tall or big people, but the location and atmosphere was great. They also provided a great info book that was very thorough and well thought out. Overall, good experience and great for an overnight. Great value as well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

Where do I start? The Architect Inn Bed and Breakfast was perfect for our girl's trip weekend getaway. We were warmly welcomed by owner Nick and staff member David whom gave us a tour of the house and helped us plan out our short visit. The bed and breakfast was clean, quiet and felt like home. We were even encouraged by the staff members to treat the living space as if it were our home.

Breakfast by Brian was not only delicious but gormet. The marscapone and strawberry stuffed french toast to the butterscotch muffins were to die for. When we thought it couldn't get any better, we learned Brian bakes fresh cookies and brownies in the late afternoon for a snack.

I honestly cannot say enough about this fine establishment. My husband and I plan on organizing a couples trip to go back next year.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

My girlfriend and I wanted to book at trip to Newport for three nights and a quick internet search led us to the Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast. Booking a reservation was very easy and the website ([--]) was easy to navigate and contained a plethora of information about activities to do in Newport.

I called the Inn Bliss first, and I was on the phone with Nick, one of the innkeepers for a good 20 minutes or so. Nick was more than happy to answer my questions about the weather, restaurants, things to do, and ghosts. Part of the reason why we wanted to stay in the Inn Bliss was because it was haunted.

We arrived in Newport after a 7-hour bus ride (we didn't have a car). The Inn Bliss was about 1 mile away from the Newport Visitor Center and the walk wasn't bad at all (up Marlborough and down Broadway).

Nick will call you the day of your arrival to confirm what time you will arrive at the inn (it's best to keep your cell phone on). We arrive at the inn, and Nick shortly arrived, greeting us and giving us a brief tour of the house. He gave us maps and was full of recommendations of restaurants and things to do in Newport. On our bed there was also a binder filled with information of the history of Newport, the inn, short bios of the innkeepers, and a long list of recommendations for restaurants and sights (it was our "Bible").

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Nellie Suite, which is actually up in the attic of the house. The room was very romantic and nicely decorated. The king-sized bed was very comfy with lots of pillows. There was a separate sitting room, which also was connected to the bathroom, which was actually split between a small room with a toilet and another room with a sink and shower. Tall people might have trouble using the bathroom because of the low ceilings, but otherwise the Nellie Suite is quaint and very comfortable. My girlfriend felt that the room was very private and enjoyed having the whole top floor to ourselves.

We were the only couple that decided to have breakfast at Inn Bliss (other guests were having breakfast at Nick and Brian's other inn, The Architect's Inn). We stayed for three nights, the first morning breakfast was French toast with whipped cream and berries. During the second morning we had delicious strawberry soufflé with banana butterscotch muffins and for the third morning we had garden omelettes with corn muffins that actually had little bits of corn in them. Everything was delicious! Since it was just my girlfriend, myself, and Nick in the dining room, it seemed very personal. Conversation was great, we got recommendations for mansions, talked and joked about everything from cardboard-cutout seals (teasing my girlfriend), Broadway shows, to leper colonies...all great fun.

Other features of the home are that there is a piano in the living room, and a great bubbly hot tub on the back porch. There is also WiFi throughout the house (however, I didn't have my computer with me to try it out). Freshly baked cookies and brownies would always be offered and left out for guests.

I can't really think of many negatives of this inn. During out stay on Sunday our bed wasn't made, but maybe it was because it was a Sunday. Unfortunately we didn't get to meet Brian during our stay (he was in Zen gardening mode).

Nick always went well above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. When he had access to the car, he even gave us a ride to Belcourt Castle since he was going out in the car anyway.

Overall, we had an amazing stay at the Inn Bliss and we really appreciate Nick and Brian for their kindness and hospitality while allowing us to stay in their home.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2008

We had planned our wedding on the beach in Newport during a 12 dat trip through New England and stayed at Inn Bliss Oct 13-15/08. It could not have been a better choice! Nick is fantastic and not only helped us with mansion tours etc, but also got us a private room just for the two of us at a great restaurant(Tucker's Bistro) for our wedding night. The meal was excellent and a group of strangers that happened to be having dinner there also saw us earlier in the day on the beach when we got married. They sent us over some champagne to help celebrate. Thank you!
Nick is a wealth of knowledge on the Newport area and was great to talk to about things to do. He's also an unbelievable chef and made us fantastic breakfasts every morning. From sitting in the hot tub on the back deck after our wedding dinner to sipping wine on the front porch in the afternoon every minute of our stay at Inn Bliss was perfect. We highly recommend this B&B. We'll be going back again for sure, maybe for our 5th anniversary.

Doug & Lise
Winnipeg Canada

• Liked — Quality and variety of meals
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Belle View Inn
Belle View Inn
#40 of 95 in Newport
Beech Tree Inn and Cottage

Been to Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!