“We were at home at Inn Bliss”

Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #76 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 14, 2007

Our Inn Bliss stay was the most relaxing we have had at any B&B with the personal touch by and conversation with the host.
The breakfast every morning was a wondeful surpise where we loved the goumet food that we were served. So much so that we asked and received the recipes for Pumpkin Pancakes, Stuffed French toast and Oatmeal Butterscotch Muffins.
The furnishings and style of the house was grand and our room was quiet and comfy such that you could hide away and just relax or read per your pleasure. There is always a theme in terms of decorations in the house with of course Halloween being the focus during our stay. We got a personal tour of the Architect's Inn which is another B&B in Newport that our friendly hosts own. It is bigger and offers a bigger home with a mansion flair since the original owner who built it was of course an Architect.
Overall if we go to Newport this is where we would stay since you feel like you never left home.

Stayed: October 2006
2  Thank Hudson_OhioTraveler
There are newer reviews for Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed November 10, 2007

The Bliss Inn was the perfect touch to a great weekend anniversary celebration. Starting the morning off with decadent breakfast and wonderful conversation truly showed us how passionate the owners were about hospitality. Along with the great accomodations--comfortable king size bed, tv/dvd, hot tub and even fresh baked cookies on the bed stand, Brian & Nick exceeded expectations by being available and eager to give suggestions about places to go and restaurants to eat at. We appreciated the whole package we received at this bed and breakfast and have recommended it to many as a result.
-Kathleen, NYC

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank davenportkathleen
Reviewed October 31, 2007

It really wasn't great............and it is certainly not an Inn. It is a small private house with a small double guest bedroom on the first floor (just across from the owners'), a bathroom on the landing (private to the guest) and two more guest rooms in the loft. It is just about walking distance from the town centre and situated in a very ordinary looking residential street. The bedroom and bedding looked tired, in fact the whole place looked in need of a good clean, paint and tidy up. The worst thing of all was being told, upon arrival, that the house has a "no shoes" policy in order to protect the old wooden floors. It is not easy waddling up and down the stairs, especially with luggage, wearing only socks, in fact it is dangerous. Had we have known about the policy we would have gone elsewhere.

Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank SpainAli
InnBliss, owner at Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2008

We sensed that this was not a good fit from the moment they walked in the door. The boyfriend was super nice but the girlfriend didn't want to eat breakfast with the other guests and she refused any of my hospitality attempts or my advice.

The boyfriend booked the room several months in advance. We sent an email confirmation that explained the no shoe policy but I guess he never showed it to his girlfriend. They were from overseas and it was obvious when they arrived that they had been travelling for a few weeks (at least) and this was the last leg of their whirlwind tour of America.

I think a lot of this was some built up frustration that was misplaced and could have easily been avoided if there was a little more communication between the couple and if they had listened to my advice.

Reviewed October 29, 2007

I have stayed at Inn Bliss in the past and looked forward to going there again this year. I love the innkeepers. Whenever I had a question or concern they were there to address it and made the stay in Newport informative and accommendating. The Inn is gorgeous decorated in the period of the age of the house. The bed was sooo comfortable that I drifted off to sleep in a matter of minutes. Breakfast was all organic which I so appreciated the attention to detail. Thank you Nick and Brian for the pleasure of your Inn

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 11, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Inn Bliss for three nights, during the first week of September and the wonderful pictures and descriptions on the website do not do it enough justice. From the warm greeting that we were given by Brian upon our arrival, to all of the little touches that made the place feel like home, we were absolutely in heaven. There are so many beautiful antiques in the house, belonging to Nick and Brian's family, and unlike other Bed and Breakfasts where
you are contained in just one or two rooms of the house, we felt like we had the whole house at our disposal. It really felt like we had our own gorgeous Victorian home in Newport.

We stayed in Lucretia's room and did not at all find it to be small.
There was a very spacious walk-in closet in the room so there was plenty of room to store luggage and hang clothes. The bathroom was literally two steps outside our bedroom door and was exclusively at our disposal. It has to be the best bathroom I've ever had in a B&B and I've stayed at tons. Unlike other B&Bs that try to squeeze a sink, toilet and a shower stall into the bedroom due to space, this was a HUGE airy bathroom with a huge tub and even a seperate shower.
We were given complimentary bath products and even body and face scrubs to use. It was great!

Other posters have made complaints about parking and I don't understand this at all. Newport is a city where parking is at a huge premium, where in most places you are charged by the half hour even on the street. Inn Bliss is on a beautiful tree lined residential street with TONS of free street parking. The farthest we ever had to park was about two houses down, which is nothing! Believe me when you
see the cozy garden Brian keeps in the back, you will be glad that this is there instead of a sterile and unecessary parking lot!

Brian was an amazing host. We immediately felt like he was our friend
more than our inkeeper, he is just so personable. Not only was he friendly but he was a great resource of local information and helped give us advice on local attractions and restaurants...he even offered
to make us reservations. His homemade organic breakfasts were delicious and decadent, and the fresh baked cookies and lemonade every afternoon were an unexpected and delicious touch.

All in all, I can't seem to say enough good things about this place, and when I return to Newport I will most definitely be staying here!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Estella76
Reviewed October 10, 2007

This was our sixth trip to Newport and the fourth consecutive time we stayed at Inn Bliss. My wife and I were new to the Bed and Breakfest concept and were a bit apprehensive to staying at one. After two average experiences at other properties, we finally found Inn Bliss. Inn Bliss is inpecably decorated, clean, and comfortable but what makes this property truly special are the owners Brian and Nick. From the extravegant breakfasts that will await you each morning to the services they offer, you know you’ll feel like family after just one night. Whether you’re looking for a fine restaurant, mansion tickets, or just some friendly conversation, Brian and Nick will tell you the best of what Newport has to offer. Our biggest challenge for next year will be to choose from the many rooms that are now available as they just acquired another property; The Architect's Inn. After touring it all I can say is that both properties are beyond “charming” and are full of character. No worries though, just ask Brian or Nick what your looking for and they will match a room to your taste and budget. They are always available and will add a personal touch that will make your stay one to remember. Can wait until next fall when we return to Newport!

Mike & Rita

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank desertrain97
Reviewed October 7, 2007

We were so excited to visit Newport and stay at Inn Bliss. I must say that when visiting with Nick before our trip, we thought that it would be the highlight of our New England vacation. I wish it would have lived up to that.

Funny, but we had the same experience as another reviewer. There was NO ONE at the inn when we arrived to check in. We had to call them several times to get someone to come and check us into our room. We finally left to go and eat dinner and came back to meet them. We took it in stride, but when we finally did get into our room, they never once apologized for the confusion and verbally told us that it was our fault for arriving too early. For the life of us, neither my husband or I remember telling a check in time. I thought it was odd that we are the SECOND reviewer that had that exact experience. Be warned.

Brian was extremely nice and helpful. He gave good restaurant suggestions and mansion advice. His cookies were yummy and a nice treat. I also agree with the description of Lecreatia's Room. VERY SMALL and hard to move around in. We also were unaware that the bathroom was not adjoined to the room. This was our 5 stay in a B and B on this vacation alone.....it was the ONLY one that you had to purchase your shampoo. That seems to be a bit of a "nickle and dime" thought process.

We only ate breakfast at the inn on one of our 3 nights. It was very good. The house is very nicely decorated. Neat colors, comfy furniture, good feel to it. However, you do need to know that you have to take your shoes off and leave them at the front door to protect their wood floors. That had never been suggested to us before either. Hmmmm...... Nick and Brian have recently purchased another, larger inn, The Architect's Inn. Perhaps most of their time, energy, and effort are put into that inn. It may be a good idea just to run one inn at a time. We were dissappinted with this stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank frito15
InnBliss, Owner at Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2007

I am a little hurt by this review. These lovely guests from Kansas were very nice and only said nice things while they were here. I remember exactly when they booked because we had a wonderful, and long , conversation about the trip they were planning for their 15th Wedding Anniversary and a 40th birthday. I actually took the time to help them find other accommodations in other states and gave them recommendations of places to visit during their New England trip (I really didn’t need to take the time to do that but I wanted to help her). I also accommodated them when they had to change their dates later on.

I had written in my notes that their arrival time was going to be between 8:30 and 9 pm as they were taking a flight into Logan airport. I always tell my guests that if their arrival time is going to change, please, give us a call. Unfortunately, they showed up much earlier than planned (by 8 hours), without calling, and arrived before normal check in time. Thus, the room was not ready. I suggested they go to a mansion or lunch and upon their return the room would be ready.

It is not our normal policy to rush when cleaning a room as “perfection” is our policy. I would think that anyone would be more than understanding of this.

We normally do not supply shampoo at Inn Bliss partly because most guests bring their own. (most people have a preferred brand). However, on such occasions where people forget their shampoo, we offer Gilchrist and Soames shampoo and conditioner. Guests may also walk up the road, 1 block, to buy whatever shampoo they prefer.

Regarding the room... I do not know what to say because they specifically requested this room when they booked. The room is a good size approximately 12 feet x 10 feet, maybe more, not including the bathroom or the walk in closet. The bathroom has a detached private bathroom exclusively for the guests in Lucretia's Room. This is the only guest room on the 2cnd floor. All of this information is clearly displayed as part of the room description (on the website). I don’t understand why they didn’t know about this when they arrived. They knew they booked our most economical room. That was their request.

Many have stated that the pictures on the website are a very accurate depiction of what you are receiving. Thus, I can only assume that these particular guests did not look at the room pictures, read the description of the room/ amenities or the check in policies when they booked the room.

They did book 8 months in advance so I can understand how in that time period they may have forgotten or misplaced some key information about the Inn Bliss. All in all, I think we went above and beyond for these guests and were quite surprised by their review. They were not particularly social and preferred to not come down for breakfast on 2 of the 3 mornings. Perhaps a B&B was not for them.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
#45 of 95 in Newport
Yankee Peddler Inn
Yankee Peddler Inn
#25 of 95 in Newport

Been to Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!