“Simply the Best!”

Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #76 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 10, 2007

This was our sixth trip to Newport and the fourth consecutive time we stayed at Inn Bliss. My wife and I were new to the Bed and Breakfest concept and were a bit apprehensive to staying at one. After two average experiences at other properties, we finally found Inn Bliss. Inn Bliss is inpecably decorated, clean, and comfortable but what makes this property truly special are the owners Brian and Nick. From the extravegant breakfasts that will await you each morning to the services they offer, you know you’ll feel like family after just one night. Whether you’re looking for a fine restaurant, mansion tickets, or just some friendly conversation, Brian and Nick will tell you the best of what Newport has to offer. Our biggest challenge for next year will be to choose from the many rooms that are now available as they just acquired another property; The Architect's Inn. After touring it all I can say is that both properties are beyond “charming” and are full of character. No worries though, just ask Brian or Nick what your looking for and they will match a room to your taste and budget. They are always available and will add a personal touch that will make your stay one to remember. Can wait until next fall when we return to Newport!

Mike & Rita

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank desertrain97
There are newer reviews for Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed October 7, 2007

We were so excited to visit Newport and stay at Inn Bliss. I must say that when visiting with Nick before our trip, we thought that it would be the highlight of our New England vacation. I wish it would have lived up to that.

Funny, but we had the same experience as another reviewer. There was NO ONE at the inn when we arrived to check in. We had to call them several times to get someone to come and check us into our room. We finally left to go and eat dinner and came back to meet them. We took it in stride, but when we finally did get into our room, they never once apologized for the confusion and verbally told us that it was our fault for arriving too early. For the life of us, neither my husband or I remember telling a check in time. I thought it was odd that we are the SECOND reviewer that had that exact experience. Be warned.

Brian was extremely nice and helpful. He gave good restaurant suggestions and mansion advice. His cookies were yummy and a nice treat. I also agree with the description of Lecreatia's Room. VERY SMALL and hard to move around in. We also were unaware that the bathroom was not adjoined to the room. This was our 5 stay in a B and B on this vacation alone.....it was the ONLY one that you had to purchase your shampoo. That seems to be a bit of a "nickle and dime" thought process.

We only ate breakfast at the inn on one of our 3 nights. It was very good. The house is very nicely decorated. Neat colors, comfy furniture, good feel to it. However, you do need to know that you have to take your shoes off and leave them at the front door to protect their wood floors. That had never been suggested to us before either. Hmmmm...... Nick and Brian have recently purchased another, larger inn, The Architect's Inn. Perhaps most of their time, energy, and effort are put into that inn. It may be a good idea just to run one inn at a time. We were dissappinted with this stay.

4  Thank frito15
InnBliss, Owner at Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2007

I am a little hurt by this review. These lovely guests from Kansas were very nice and only said nice things while they were here. I remember exactly when they booked because we had a wonderful, and long , conversation about the trip they were planning for their 15th Wedding Anniversary and a 40th birthday. I actually took the time to help them find other accommodations in other states and gave them recommendations of places to visit during their New England trip (I really didn’t need to take the time to do that but I wanted to help her). I also accommodated them when they had to change their dates later on.

I had written in my notes that their arrival time was going to be between 8:30 and 9 pm as they were taking a flight into Logan airport. I always tell my guests that if their arrival time is going to change, please, give us a call. Unfortunately, they showed up much earlier than planned (by 8 hours), without calling, and arrived before normal check in time. Thus, the room was not ready. I suggested they go to a mansion or lunch and upon their return the room would be ready.

It is not our normal policy to rush when cleaning a room as “perfection” is our policy. I would think that anyone would be more than understanding of this.

We normally do not supply shampoo at Inn Bliss partly because most guests bring their own. (most people have a preferred brand). However, on such occasions where people forget their shampoo, we offer Gilchrist and Soames shampoo and conditioner. Guests may also walk up the road, 1 block, to buy whatever shampoo they prefer.

Regarding the room... I do not know what to say because they specifically requested this room when they booked. The room is a good size approximately 12 feet x 10 feet, maybe more, not including the bathroom or the walk in closet. The bathroom has a detached private bathroom exclusively for the guests in Lucretia's Room. This is the only guest room on the 2cnd floor. All of this information is clearly displayed as part of the room description (on the website). I don’t understand why they didn’t know about this when they arrived. They knew they booked our most economical room. That was their request.

Many have stated that the pictures on the website are a very accurate depiction of what you are receiving. Thus, I can only assume that these particular guests did not look at the room pictures, read the description of the room/ amenities or the check in policies when they booked the room.

They did book 8 months in advance so I can understand how in that time period they may have forgotten or misplaced some key information about the Inn Bliss. All in all, I think we went above and beyond for these guests and were quite surprised by their review. They were not particularly social and preferred to not come down for breakfast on 2 of the 3 mornings. Perhaps a B&B was not for them.

Reviewed August 27, 2007

My partner and I were in Newport for just one night and enjoyed our stay at Inn Bliss very much. The home was quite charming , well located, and beautifully decorated with antiques from Brian's family. It provided the perfect atmosphere for a romantic get away!
Brian was very helpful to point out the most important places to visit during our short stay in Newport and he prepared a delicious breakfast. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I would like to thank Nick and Brian for a wonderful stay at this cozy inn....The hospitality was wonderful and the insightful stories and hints about Newport made this a lovely getaway....We especially liked the chocolate chip cookies for the afternoon snack..Brian is a great chef!..I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2007

Our family just returned from a five night stay at Inn Bliss. The four of us shared the top floor of the inn. Although it was a little tight for 4 adults, Brian went out of his way to make us comfortable. The inn is cozy and away from the noise near the waterfront. Brian's warm personality and delicious breakfasts, which were different every day, were the highlight of our stay. We looked forward to his homemade cookies every afternoon. Brian and Nick recently acquired another property, The Architect's Inn, and we were invited to have breakfast there one morning. We enjoyed delicious cinnamon french toast on the porch while Nick gave an informative and entertaining talk about RI's history. We would highly recommend visiting either of these inns for your stay in Newport.

3  Thank DLiz
Reviewed August 9, 2007

We stayed in Lucretia's room for 3 nights and were a little disappointed, given the excellent reviews on this site.

We never met Nick - Brian took care of us. He was very pleasant, made delicious breakfasts, and was very helpful with suggestions for activities and restaurants. He recommended two of the mansions as the best ones, and after we had seen 5 (we got a 5 mansion ticket) we found that he was spot on.

The Inn is conveniently situated, within walking distance to Newport (20 minutes or so to the wharfs area). It is on a quiet residential street, but just off a main road. You should note that there is no off street parking (we didn't notice that until we downloaded the directions for getting there). We had no difficulty finding parking, but on one occasion had to park a few doors down. Not sure how the parking would be if someone on the street had a party and invited lots of guests. Also, the other guests there got a parking ticket for parking too close to the neighbour's driveway - so be warned!

Our stay got off to a bad start when we arrived at 4 pm and found no one home. We had to call Nick, who asked us if we could check in at 6pm. He said that he had tried to call us to ask when we would be arriving. Although our cell phone may have been switched off sometimes, he had our e-mail address and could have sent us an e-mail (we had checked for e-mails that morning). In any case, I would have thought that when he could not reach us to find out when we were arriving, he should have made sure that someone was there, or at least left a note on the door. An apology for the inconvenience of having to come back later would have been nice too!

The downstairs was comfortable, but not air conditioned, and the weather was very hot. No one had opened windows etc, during the day to cool it down, so it was very hot there. We would have gone upstairs to our air conditioned room, but the wireless internet was not working and the only way to access the internet was to sit on one side of the living room and use a neighbour's internet.

We also found the bedroom to be really small, and getting around the end of the bed was awkward. There is only about 10-16 inches clearance between the bedpost and the wall - difficult to negotiate when half asleep in the dark! The bedroom has a "private" bathroom, which means you have to don a robe and enter the hall to get to it. Although it is just a few steps, the other guests on the upper floor cross the same hall to get downstairs.

Apart from that, there were some things that just left us with the impression of "superficial", rather than the "luxury" which we expected based on previous reviews. These included only providing a short length robe instead of a full length one (bring your own if you are tall), not providing shampoo (it was sold for 50 cents), providing single ply toilet tissue, not having real juice at breakfast, hardware falling off the bedroom door, and not taking credit card (we would have had to go to the other property to pay with credit card). There were so many "knick knacks" in the bathroom that we had to clear them off to make room for our toiletries. None of these things are significant alone - but together they left us with a disappointing overall impression.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Lord Fauntleroy

I really do no know what to say to this since this is the first time I have had to write a response to a review. I hate to interfere with the review process but some of these things were totally unfounded. I felt I needed to write something in this situation because the information in here is off base.

Regarding the parking….it is usually never an issue. Most people just park in front of the house with no worries. This one instance another guest was ticketed because they pretty much blocked our neighbor in when they needed to get to work. We heard later that our neighbor tried to get a hold of our guests to get them to move their car but when they were not at the Inn, they had no choice but to tow the car because they couldn’t get out of their driveway to get to work. The guests that were towed were not at all that upset about it because they knew they did wrong, so I am not sure why these people are writing so negatively about the situation???

We always ask our guests to call us the day of arrival to let us know their arrival time so we can plan check ins accordingly. We try to dedicate a good 20-25 minutes per couple to everyone when they first arrive to make sure they are oriented and all set with dinner reservations, maps, brochures, etc before we leave them about their business. As these guests stated, we had tried to call them in the morning to find out their arrival time. We didn’t bother emailing them because they were from Canada and we assumed they probably were not checking their emails regularly since they must have been without a computer. Most people keep their cell phones on while traveling so I left a message and awaited a return call. I called them a couple other times with no answer still. They didn’t call until they were standing on my doorstep and I was checking in other guests at Architect’s Inn and Brian was buying groceries at the store. We could have checked them in 15 minutes later but they offered to come back later and we agreed on a 6 pm check in time. The situation was very nonchalant but the way the review was written made it sound so dramatic.

In terms of all the little things these guests commented on…WiFi was a new addition to the house at the time and we hadn’t figured out how to work it exactly. It was never advertised as an amenity because we were not sure if anyone would be interested in it therefore, these guests really can’t complain about something that they shouldn’t have expected to have to begin with. Shampoo has never been advertised as an amenity at Inn Bliss. If they were unsure of this, they could have called us or looked online. (In fact we gave them a bottle for free when they asked us.) The bathroom is detached from the bedroom but exclusively used by the guests in Lucretia’s Room. This is all information available on our website when they booked the room. The robes provided in the room were pretty lengthy, plush robes but because the man was so tall it only made it just above his knees which wasn’t long enough for him, I guess, so we gave him another one which worked out fine. Problem solved. The common areas are not air conditioned because we live in Newport where there is always a nice cool breeze. The weather for those days was a high of 70 degrees and 64 at night not including the ocean breeze factor. That is pretty nice weather for mid July if you ask me. We use 1 ply toilet tissue because we are an eco-friendly Inn and the very nice toilet paper is made of recycled paper to help the environment. We do use real juice in the morning. I sometimes freshly make it and store it in plastic containers in the refrigerator so maybe they were confused on that one. We do not take credit cards at Inn Bliss…something else also stated when they booked the room and on the website and on their confirmation. I have no idea what “knick knacks” they are referring to in the bathroom. The only things on the shelves in the bathroom are a blow dryer, lotion container, hand soap dispenser and extra TP. If there was anything else there then it must have been their own private paraphernalia.

“All in all, we felt that we paid a luxury price for an "average" bed and breakfast.” I have no idea where this came from. Most people find Inn Bliss to be a huge bargain. Maybe in western Canada, you can get a “luxury” room for $135/nt but in Newport, RI, that is simply not the case. The week they came, the local highway motel in Newport charged $99 PER PERSON for a small motel room across from the sewer treatment plant with no breakfast include. Need I say more…

Reviewed July 8, 2007

We stayed at Inn Bliss Bed and Breakfast in Lucretia's Room for 4 nights in early July 2007 and absolutely loved it! The house has been beautifully restored, and everything from the bathroom to the garden exudes warmth and charm. The owners, Nick and Brian, were very pleasant and provided superior customer service throughout our stay, including detailed information on all attractions that were of interest to us. Breakfasts were truly "gourmet", made with the freshest organic ingredients, and different every morning. We would highly recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone planning a trip to Newport.

Karen and Dan, Ottawa, Canada

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Karen_and_Dan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
#46 of 95 in Newport
Yankee Peddler Inn
Yankee Peddler Inn
#23 of 95 in Newport

Been to Inn Bliss Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!