All reviewsspiced pearcar servicecliff walkgothic roomprivate hot tubocean villalouis xvigreek revivalenglish tudorglass of sparkling winemartha's vineyardblock islandprivate courtyardmy husband and ibeautiful hotelgas fireplacewet bar
Reviewed November 8, 2005

The Chanler is a truly spectacular, and obviously the result of a dream, rather than a greedy developer. Whether or not the extravaganza of the Chanler makes financial sense for the developer - or not - is irrelevant for most travelers, but the Chanler during peak season will take a big chunk of your savings. However, it is all worth it. The location is magnificent, the 20 individually designed rooms are great, and the restaurant is one of the best in Newport. It is worth noting that since the rooms differ a lot in style it is good to browse the website prior to booking. Some rooms are unusual, like the Gothic, which one could picture with a dominatrix as one of the amenities. The staff at the Chanler are great, and happy to help. Ask for a tour of the property if you are in Newport, I guarantee that you will be back as a guest...

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
15  Thank modusvivendi
Reviewed October 17, 2005

I stayed at the Chanler in early October in one of the Ocean Villas. While the room and hotel are beautiful I had some issues with the service. The staff was very uptight and rigid. The interactions seemed almost forced and left me feeling uncomfortable. I also overheard a few guests bringing similar issues to the attention of the rooms manager and she seemed to respond that they knew what good service was and the guests just mistook formality for rudness. I like to feel welcome at a hotel and the Chanler made me feel like I needed to walk on egg shells.

• Stayed: October 2005
18  Thank FrequentFlier18172
Reviewed October 12, 2005

I surprised my husband for his birthday in September with a weekend at The Chanler At Cliff Walk. We had never stayed in Newport before and after doing much research, I decided on The Chanler, which exceeded my expectations. When we drove up to the iron gates and my husband saw where we would be spending his birthday weekend, he was speechless. The mansion is magnificent and absolutely beautiful. We were immediately greeted by 2 valet workers and once inside, we were treated like royalty. We were given 2 glasses of champagne as we walked to our room and when we opened the door, we were filled with excitement. The room was very clean and had a wonderful view of the ocean and cliff walk, lovely antique furniture, beautiful décor, chandeliers, jacuzzi, large shower, and fireplace. Everything about the room was just as The Chanler described on its web site.

Over the weekend, we enjoyed the Taste of Rhode Island, walked along the cliff walk and had dinner at the Spiced Pear Restaurant. Although we had reservations, there was a 15 minute wait given the popularity of the restaurant. We ordered the kobe beef which was superb.

Throughout our stay, the service was excellent. My husband felt like a king and I was so happy to see him enjoy himself in luxury. When it was time to leave, neither one of us wanted to go. We will definitely return to The Chanler.

10  Thank KMB4905
Reviewed September 25, 2005

After reading other mixed reviews, I was anxious to see if I had chosen wisely or not. It is a beautiful place! The service was very personal and at top level. The valet was always on hand, and the rooms were spectacular. All of the furnishings were high end, nightly turndown, great bathroom with Jacuzzi tub. Great location right on the cliffwalk. Worth the money to live like a Vanderbilt for a special occasion :) We would stay there again.
On to the Spiced Pear. The food was very good, well presented, unfortunately everything served was either lukewarm or cold. Service was severely lacking. No one ever checked how a course was, so we wound up eating things before they got colder :( . The waiter forgot we ordered a bottle of wine (which at $100 for the bottle, we were astounded) Anyway, he had about 12 tables by himself, so that might explain it. No fresh ground pepper offered for salad, I could go on, but you get the idea. Hopefully they will get it together, as it is a nice dining room and should be commensurate to the property that it is part of.

10  Thank MoNJ
Reviewed September 21, 2005

My wife and I just spent two splendid days at The Chanler at Cliff Walk. We were most impressed by our luxurious and spacious bedroom. (We were in a large corner suite.) The high quality of finishes throughout the property also created a warm and luxurious ambience. The staff were extremely friendly and very attentive. We ate breakfast and lunch on the terrace overlooking the ocean and commented that this was the most romatic setting we have found anywhere in the US. It reminded us of a small Chateaux we stayed at in Europe. The food in the restaurant at dinner was fine, however, the new chef needs to create his own signature. We recommend this gem of a hotel to those who have an appetite and pocket book for the finer things in life.

• Stayed: September 2005