“Loved it!”

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
NJ
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2005

After reading other mixed reviews, I was anxious to see if I had chosen wisely or not. It is a beautiful place! The service was very personal and at top level. The valet was always on hand, and the rooms were spectacular. All of the furnishings were high end, nightly turndown, great bathroom with Jacuzzi tub. Great location right on the cliffwalk. Worth the money to live like a Vanderbilt for a special occasion :) We would stay there again.
On to the Spiced Pear. The food was very good, well presented, unfortunately everything served was either lukewarm or cold. Service was severely lacking. No one ever checked how a course was, so we wound up eating things before they got colder :( . The waiter forgot we ordered a bottle of wine (which at $100 for the bottle, we were astounded) Anyway, he had about 12 tables by himself, so that might explain it. No fresh ground pepper offered for salad, I could go on, but you get the idea. Hopefully they will get it together, as it is a nice dining room and should be commensurate to the property that it is part of.

10 Thank MoNJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2005

My wife and I just spent two splendid days at The Chanler at Cliff Walk. We were most impressed by our luxurious and spacious bedroom. (We were in a large corner suite.) The high quality of finishes throughout the property also created a warm and luxurious ambience. The staff were extremely friendly and very attentive. We ate breakfast and lunch on the terrace overlooking the ocean and commented that this was the most romatic setting we have found anywhere in the US. It reminded us of a small Chateaux we stayed at in Europe. The food in the restaurant at dinner was fine, however, the new chef needs to create his own signature. We recommend this gem of a hotel to those who have an appetite and pocket book for the finer things in life.

• Stayed September 2005
11 Thank ReviewerToronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2005

Being a finicky traveler, The Chanler exceeded my expectaions. The location is perfect, the accommodations are charming and unique, the cuisine is divine and service impeccable. The proximity to the beach, The Cliff Walk and town is also convenient. This is the ideal setting for a getaway with friends or a romantic weekend. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2005

I can't wait to go back!

I went up to the Chanler with a group of friends for an overnight stay..I travel quite a bit and have become quite snobby when it comes to accomodation and service but I was truly impressed.

The staff was extremely warm and welcoming and did everything in their power to make my stay a memorable one. I had the opprortunity to dine in the Spiced Pear as well and enjoyed my dinner so much I returned for their famous burger the next day for lunch..I was not disappointed.

The rooms are truly unique and luxurious and I can't wait to show them off to my husband when we go for a visit in the few weeks. I can't think of a better place to spend a weekend away.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2005

I used to work within the luxury hospitality industry, so I have to admit that I tend to be a harsher critic than most. I was so impressed with the level of attentiveness the staff displayed at The Chanler. They were ever-present, yet far from intrusive--water glasses never less than half full, seamlessly timed bath butlers (returning to my room after dinner to a hot bath) and even the smallest requests were met with "at your service" attitudes. The dining also proved to exceed expectations, with thoughtfully prepared dishes, balanced flavors with beautiful presentation. The views were delightful and I am already planning to return for a relaxing weekend very soon!

Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2005

I've stayed at five star hotels around the world and The Chanler is better than any hotel I've visited. My husband and I arrived to celebrate our 5th Anniversary and from the moment we arrived we were made to feel so special. We were greeted at the front door by the bellmen (who know our names), and were immediately handed a glass of champagne at check-in. We checked into Englsih Tudor and were completely blown away by the size of the room - the bed was the most amazing we'd ever seen and the attention to detail was amazing (heated tile flooring, two flat screens, an abundance of English leather, huge jacuzzi tub).

We celebrated the evening at Spiced Pear, the hotel's restaurant. We were a little skeptical after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and we also have friends who'd had a bad experience last year. However, it cou'd not have been better. We ordered the kobe filet for two which was carved tableside. The chef even came over to our table to greet us and congratulate us on our anniversary.

After dinner, a butler drawn bath with candles and rose petals was waiting for us in our room. We thought this was a special service for our anniverary but we later found out this a service offered to all guests - so impressive!

We called our friends who had not had a good experience last year (they live in Newport) and raved about our time at The Chanler. They came in for dinner last week and were also very impressed while the food, service and overall experience. We plan to all meet here over the holidays. I can't wait!

• Stayed September 2005
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2005

I stayed at the Chanler and loved it. As an avid traveler who has been to many hotels, this is far and away one of the best. I love the location (over looking the Ocean), the service (stellar) and the restaurant (delicious beyond compare). I look forward to returning. Oh, and don't forget to do the Cliff Walk which is just out the back door of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2005