“Incredible hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Phoenix, AZ
“Incredible hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

My husband and I came to Newport for the 4th of July and stayed for the first time at this beautiful hotel. I have travelled all over the world and stayed at some of the world's finest hotels (including the Presidential Suite at the Waldorf Astoria and the Presidential Suite at the Bentley Hilton in South Beach recently). I have to say that this stay was one of my favorites. You truly do feel like you are transported back in time to the Gilded Age when you arrive here to this beautiful mansion turned boutique hotel with every modern convenience and luxury. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the service is top notch, the food was incredible but the best part of all has to be the gorgeous individually decorated rooms. We stayed in the Louis XVI room which I think may have been my favorite due to the beautiful color palatte, canopy bed, chandeliers, art work and, of course, the large verandah overlooking the ocean. I didn't want to leave! I highly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a very different, very upscale, romantic and private Newport getaway. It is totally unique and well worth it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GPCINC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

We stayed at the Chanler for three nights and didn't want to leave. When we arrived we were warmly greeted, the receptionist went to check on our room and gave us a glass of sparkling wine to enjoy on the lovely terrace, facing the sea. When we were ready we were shown to a most beautiful room - it was nicer than any other de luxe hotels we have stayed in. Even the bathroom was a work of art - I was told that the owner sources out antiques and reproductions to furnish the hotel and she obviously has impeccable taste. The room was located up some fairly steep stairs from reception, and had windows on two sides - one overlooking the bay and one overlooking the beautiful gardens and famous Cliff Walk. We ate in the Spiced Pear restaurant and found the food and service to be very good, but it was somewhat pricey and we did not use it every night. Breakfast was good and the views from the restaurant are fantastic - I understand they have weddings there, and I imagine that would be lovely. Staff at the Chanler are very helpful and polite and the valet car parking is a nice touch. There is plenty of parking and the grounds are very pretty and absolutely immaculate, as is the rest of the hotel. The hotel location is excellent, and we enjoyed walks along the Cliff Walk to the mansions and other interesting places of Newport. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel - we will definitely return, hopefully for a longer stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrsje
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

The Gilded Age may be over in Newport, but guests at the Chanler will feel like they have been touched with gold. Our arrival was sommther than silk as a friendly valet took away our bags and my car disappeared. The receptionist greeded us with a glass of the house bubbly then escorted us to our room where our bags had already been deposited.

The room was fantastic! Our oceanside villa (Nantucket) had a private deck overlooking the beach and a lower terrrace featuring a jacuzzi and sauna. The room was delighfullt decorated, and what a bathroom! Double whirlpool tub and a double shower with multiple wall jets.

Throughout our stay the staff was fantastic. Friebndly with advice of us tourists. Complimentary rides to/from town and other local attractions.

Our only disappointment was dinner servie in the restaurant. The food was terrific, but our waiter seemed disinteresed. He even made a snide soment about us being on the meal plan. We wuold not have been as disappointed had the rest of the staff been so delightful.

Nonetheless...a great experience.

1 Thank terryjbg
Bognor Regis UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2009

This was our first trip to Newport and we loved it. The hotel is just perfect. From the moment we arrived in reception nothing was too much trouble. We chose to change our room on arrival and we were shown a selection of others. We went for one of the garden rooms. It was fabulous. We hade a double jacuzzi bath and a multi-jet shower. We also had a small courtyard to the front with a hot tub. It felt so private and relaxing. We visited the local shops which were interesting and The Breakers (local mansion). What a great experience. The food at the hotel was wonderful. We particularly enjoyed the walk along the cliff. Overall it was one of the nicest hotels we have stayed at and we would love to go back another time. It felt like a small, private luxury hotel with a personal touch. Loved it!

1 Thank salrice
Santa Fe, NM
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2009

I was at the Chanler in November, had a great experience, and returned for a surprise getaway this past weekend. I checked in and felt immediately that there was a lack of staff. Previously, there were greeters when you pulled up at the entrance. However, this time, I had to ask to be helped. There was a decided indifference as to check-in; I was not a priority, rather an inconvenience.

The room that I had requested was soiled. the carpet was stained and the bathroom was shoddy!

When I came back down, again, I felt as if I was an inconvenience, not a welcome guest. Alot of whispering and uncertainty from the staff. I'm not stupid!

Why continue; I will not be back! What happened at this beautifully located hotel?

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank EscapesNM
scole743
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

The Chandler was recommended to me and my husband from many Mass natives and it really did live up to all of its hype. The property was amazing, the views were incredible and the service was superb. The breakfast was phenomenal...I really can't say enough. I would encourage anyone looking for a romantic getaway to choose the Chandler. I have stayed at quite a few nice hotels and this one is by far the nicest, even beating out the bridal suite at the Four Season's. The bathroom and outdoor hottub were wonderful. The only draw back I would say is that my husband was told he was given the nicest room they had (since it was off season and the hotel wasn't full) and that he got a great price, only to find out my sister paid less for the same room. Other than that, it was wonderful!

• Liked — The view, the bathrooms and the private courtyard.
  • Disliked — It is very expensive.
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank scole743
Derry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2009

My sister and I took my mother to the Chanler to celebrate a landmark birthday. We stayed in the English Trellis Room (Rm 15). Because there were three of us, this room was our only option - a fact that could not have mattered less. The room is breathtaking. Please see my pictures although I doubt they will do it justice.

In addition to sumptuous accommodations, the Chanler boasts a fantastic restaurant called the Spiced Pear on its grounds. We dined here the night we arrived. The food was incredible and the service, impeccable.

We took full advantage of everthing the Chanler had to offer from the use of our private courtyard hot-tub, to the point-to-point shuttle service, to the most decadent breakfasts imaginable. It's no small thing that breakfast is included in your room rate; I can think of no better way to start the day than with a Spiced Pear breakfast.

I would happily recommend this to anyone looking for a romantic escape. If I could afford it, I would be back in the summer. Thankfully the grounds are spectacular year-round and you can get a real bargain in the off-season by booking a weekend package.

• Stayed March 2009