The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
$229
  • Pool
Mill Street Inn(Newport)(Great Value!)
$229
The Attwater(Newport)(Great Value!)
$199
Hotel Viking(Newport)(Great Value!)
$187
  • Restaurant
Gurney's Newport Resort & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
$265
Travelocity
$475
Wellington Resort(Newport)(Great Value!)
$315
All reviewsspiced pearcar servicecliff walkgothic roomocean villasprivate hot tublouis xvigreek revivalenglish tudormartha's vineyardheated floorsromantic hotelblock islandocean frontmy husband and iprivate courtyardglass of champagne
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I have been to many countries and stayed in many hotels, I alway book 4 or 5 star hotels, but nothing has ever compared to this.
I have been meaning to write about this hotel for years, but with two young children it wasn't top of my list of things to do.
However, now I feel I must tell anyone considering staying there, please do !
It is the only hotel I have ever wanted to return to.
The location is wonderful, so close to the beach. The setting is perfect for any occasion including a wedding. The restaurant has fabulous food, the staff are extremely friendly. The rooms are wonderful.
I have never stayed anywhere that could compare to this. I have payed the same amount of money if not more for some of our accommodation.
I stayed there a few years ago but I can't imagine it would have change that much.
If you have already booked this hotel, can I just say you have made the right choice. !!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Annie E
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Reservations: Made by phone; Julie was wonderful and the follow up was great.

Check In: Seamless. We arrived early in the a.m., and our room, of course, was not ready. We were given cups of coffee, our luggage was retrieved from our car, we were encouraged to sit out on the lawn to relax. Very welcoming.

Staff: As others have said, very, very nice. We enjoyed interacting with everyone, and everyone seemed intent on pleasing us.

Room: We had English Trellis, the only room in the mansion with two beds. It truly did have a villa feel to it, with the outdoor hot tub, pretty flowers and masonry, and steps up to our door. The room was very nicely decorated; even the toilet was painted! The bathroom was huge, indoor jacuzzi, and shower with multiple shower heads. We were next to a service area, and it did get a bit noisy at times. Overall, very pleasant.

Common Area: There is a lovely lawn in front of the hotel, set up with chairs and an incredible view of Easton Bay into the Atlantic. We sat there morning, noon, and night. It was breattaking and relaxing at the same time.

Breakfast: We got the breakfast package, and were a little bit disappointed in the offerings. They were not spelled out well (i.e., exactly what does the breakfast include) and the dishes were average.

Valet service: What a treat! A drive into downtown Newport to dinner, and a pickup within minutes of calling. A very, very nice amenity.

Value: Very, very high prices for a Friday night in Newport, but it was a grand experience.

I wish I could give 4 1/2 stars; this is more than a four star property, that is for sure. However, the mediocrity of the breakfast offering and the noise from the service area causes me to knock it a bit down.

However, if we save enough over the next couple of years, we would love to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank fourfamilytravels
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Just got back from a 2-night midweek getaway to the Chanler. It was a truly outstanding experience. I stayed in the Georgian one night and the Block Island villa the 2nd. Originally, I had "settled" for the Georgian because my first choice of room (Block Island) was booked for the first night I would be there. However, it turned out to be very fortuitous as I just loved both rooms. The Georgian is cozy and quaint. It does not have a deck but has great ocean views. The Block Island room is smaller but the space is greatly supplemented with a deck that overlooks the ocean and has plenty of additional furniture (incredible morning light in this room too). For both rooms, there were just so many wonderful touches - heated tiles, smores kits, unique furnishings (you could lose a few hours just looked around the room!).

The hotel itself was wonderful. Perfectly situated at the start of the cliff walk. The mansions and downtown are a bit further but the hotel provides car service and the drivers very cheerfully take you wherever you want to go, even multiple times a day (kudos to Chris for his seemingly endless good-natured driving services). I only ate at the hotel dining room for breakfast but it was just amazing to eat out on the outdoor veranda overlooking the ocean. Food was great too. There is also a lawn area with furniture where you can sit out and enjoy the sun and sea.

The service really sets this place apart. Laura, Hallie, Katie and Stephanie could not have been more welcoming and accommodating with various requests. The room service and housing staff was just wonderful. I ordered a cheese plate to the room at one point and Paula came all the way back to the villa with crackers when I happened to mention I was craving them. When I told her a seagull and swooped in and stole some cheese(I had left the food on the outdoor table when I stepped inside), she then returned AGAIN (unpromoted) with a plate of "make-up" cheese pieces. I could go on but all these touches really add up (I had always considered myself more of a room/view focused person but now I really see what a difference excellent service makes). And beyond what you notice and request, there are no doublt a million things that the hotel staff thinks about proactively that just make the stay that much nicer.

Just a note to solo travelers who may be interested - I was there on my own and could not have had a more comfortable experience. Eating on the veranda was not the least bit awkward - they actually have seats that face away from other guests and face the ocean. Wandering around and sitting outside was also perfect as a solo. This is definitely the place to go for a female (or male) looking to treat herself to quick little getaway to refresh and relax.

Wonderful job Chanler - I look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank Traveler20132014
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Just spent 3 evenings at the Chanler. In short everything is just marvelous!!!! The staff is outstanding. Dinner at the restaurant was as good as it can be. Our room was wonderful. The view is spectacular.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Walter B
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was our fourth stay at this lovely boutique hotel and it was a wonderful as our first!!!!The rooms are fabulous as is the service. The outdoor terrace is a beautiful place to start your day with a beautiful view!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends