“Definitely on the list of best hotels I've stayed in...”

The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Really enjoyed our 2 night stay in the Gothic Room at The Chanler. This is a fabulous hotel in a great location, the service is excellent, all the staff go out of their way to be as helpful as possible and we loved the little touches such as chocolates and poem left on the bed after turndown service. We ate in the Spiced Pear restaurant and found the food, presentation and service of the highest quality. If we are ever in Newport area again this is where we will be staying...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fourtyplus

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in the Mediterranean room on the third floor. Stairs not such a problem as there is not view (except) sky the minute you sit down. The problem is the windows are small and high up, so when you walk in it's wow what a view,but the minute you sit it's wow, no view for which I'm paying extra. I know this probably doesn't matter to some, but when I pay for a view, I want to see the view even when I sit. The rooms on the second floor have no such problem! The very detailed descriptions on their website, somehow manage to not tell what floor the room is on Other rooms with this problem ( I peeked are Victorian, Gothic, and I suspect others on the third floor). I they had window seats that would have solved the problem. (Hint, hint). The shower had 5 heads but only 3 worked with a very puny stream. Don't know if this was a malfunction or a water saving feature.The shuttle service around town was great, never had to think about parking. Breakfast was very good, though the omelet was was the same 2 out of 3 days with a strongly worded "no substitutions ", surely in such a small hotel they could do custom omelets. And how about some cushions for those hard white chairs on the lawn.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor! Some rooms look over roof. When paying $1000 a night you deserve the best.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank totallyNYC
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Chanler's wedding coordinator, Kate, did a fantastic job! Our wedding was absolutely perfect and could not have been without the efforts of Kate and Chanler staff. The Chanler is beautiful and a perfect wedding venue for both ceremony and reception.

Room Tip: Louis XIV room was gorgeous and had a perfect view!
2  Thank 75John
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We enjoyed our three day stop in Newport at the Chanler--staying in room 22 (Louis room)...
Nice outside deck on the side of the hotel overlooking the water and the beginning of the cliff walk. Beautifully decorated room with absolutely comfortable bed.
Dined at the Spiced Pear once and frequented the bar several times. It was the last Friday night for their jazz trio which doesnt play during the summer (and will be missed in our view)--as it was great fun.
Dinner at Spiced Pear featured a poached lobster which was probably the most tender lobster we've ever eaten. We also tried a special heirloom tomato salad and escargot--equally good. We were impressed with the restaurant and found the food very tastefully done.
Good wine list with a good mix of regular and high end wines...the bartenders there are great fun and made our trip a delight.
The hotel also offers complimentary van service for trips into town which means you can avoid the pain of trying to park downtown if you want to go there.
Grounds nicely done...lots of flowers blooming...staff very courteous and obviously well trained and disciplined.
We look forward to our next trip to Newport--and plan to stay again at the Chanler.

Room Tip: Their signature rooms are their nicest rooms. Having outside deck was a real plus as well.
1  Thank Cmbnova
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We spent 2 nights in the Louis XVI room at The Chanler over the Memorial Day weekend. What should have easily been a 5+ star moment unfortunately turned into a below average stay. The property is beautiful & the waterfront location rivals The Castle Hill Inn. I definitely prefer The Chanler because it doesn't attract large crowds- far more intimate in that sense which is nice when traveling as a couple. The room was lovely- heated floors, large tub, fireplace & ocean view balcony. The bath butler was a wonderful service & highly recommend.

I am deducting stars from my review for 2 reasons. When I wanted to take a shower in the am after breakfast- no hot water. I called the front desk & was told no issue which subsequently turned into a major issue & boiler needed repair. They didn't have estimated time for when it would be back in service other than soon. I was annoyed because I didn't shower the prior evening, worked out & was grungy. I sat around my room until I got so annoyed I threw myself together around 1 pm to go out in Newport- upset that I had wasted half of my day. My big gripe with all of this wasn't so much the water was out, but that the hotel seemed devoid of management. The girls at the desk were polite & lovely, however, a big problem warrants a personal note & a bottle of something, drinks, etc. from the manager to the guests- especially when you spend $800 bucks a night- not a low rent joint by any means. I was perturbed manager didn't extend a small, kind gesture which has always been typical in my experiences when hotel has issue. Also, when I asked what the back-up plan was for showering- no response. If my small apartment building in NYC has the ability to send for a mobile hot water truck on a moments notice a world class inn should have similar OR offer to send guests to a local gym to shower.

The other minor issue was that I was underwhelmed by the breakfast. The last morning we ordered breakfast to the room & they sent uncooked pastries- see attached pic.

I wonder if I just hit off weekend or if this is typical of the inn?

6  Thank gabrielle c
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Chanler will now be added to our top list of properties to visit when a trip to New England is in order. After a recent 4 day weekend there to celebrate our wedding anniversary, my wife and I could not be more pleased with the accommodations, the staff, the service and the setting and we intend to return to this very special place.

Stately and refined, the Chanler earns its stripes and reputation for the best of old world hospitality with modern-day amenities such as wifi service in each of its guestrooms. Our room featured a private garden with a fantastic hot tub which was visited each evening of our stay. The setting provided for a much needed respite and long-overdue vacation. We are still basking in the afterglow of a truly wonderful weekend.

Room Tip: The private garden and hot tub more than made up for a room on the side of the mansion (Briar Rose...
1  Thank Robert J
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We recently spent 3 days at the Chanler . It truly gave you a sense of what it must have been like growing up in a privileged society in Newport. The hotel is the perfect location to enjoy Cliff walk. It is a few steps away from the back porch. The lovely gardens are perfect for sitting in the afternoon sun watching the ocean and enjoying a cocktail. The weather was perfect and so were the amenities at the hotel. The bar and bartender were spot on . The meals at dinner and breakfast were delicious and filling and quite different. The personal tour of the kitchen by the chef was a treat. It was late in the evening and our night cap at the bar enabled us to meet the chef and get a personal tour of how the kitchen runs. Having a car and driver available every day to get to town is a nice touch.
The only downside was the room. We stayed in the "gothic room". After reading about gothic architecture, it could have been decorated different. It was very dark and somewhat "cold" in feel. It was a huge room with allowed you to move around. But, the tub was in the far end of the room and I wonder how many times it really gets used. And to reach the toilet in the middle of the night is a little shaky as you have to descend down three steps in the dark. It did have a lot of amenities though with robes and a great shower and treats every day. The room could have been down in lighter shades for warmth and still maintained its character . we hope to have a different room next time we visit. What a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: I don't believe pool or fitness were available