All reviewsspiced pearcar servicecliff walkgothic roomprivate hot tubocean villalouis xvigreek revivalenglish tudorglass of sparkling winemartha's vineyardblock islandprivate courtyardmy husband and ibeautiful hotelgas fireplacewet bar
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We just spent 2 nights at The Chanler and wished it had been more. Ariving Friday night we were greeted by the friendly and helpful complimentary valet staff. The front desk welcomed us by name. We stayed in the Colonial Room with it's own outside entrance and deck. the room was small, but beautiful with high ceilings, wood paneling and a gas fireplace that took the chill off quickly. The tiled bathroom was amazing with modern fixtures, a huge walk-in shower that had multiple showerheads and a heated floor. In the bedroom was a wet bar that had a Keruig coffee maker and complimentary bottled water. A dresser with drawers would have been helpful. After settling in we went to the bar and listened to the teriffic jazz trio performing (Friday's only) while we sipped on signature cocktails. We felt like we were part of the Great Gatsby.

We ate breakfast in the Spiced Pear restaurant overlooking the ocean. While the service was a little slow and a couple of errors were made, overall it was very enjoyable. Breakfast is included in your room charge. The view over the Cliff Walk is beautiful. Make sure you take the time to walk the 4 miles or so along the Cliff Walk. It's the sceinic path that goes along the ocean in front of many of the mansions including The Breakers.

Whenever we needed our car, the valet had it there in a jiffy. You can self park if you want. We were allowed a late checkout of noon instead of 11 am. Our schedule didn't allow us to eat dinner at the Spiced Pear and the weather made dining on the Veranda unavailable. We plan to do both on a future trip. We will be back.

Room Tip: Sometimes we could hear our somewhat noisy neighbors through the walls of our room, The Colonial. The private entrance from the verandah was a plus.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BACCHANAL
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I stayed here for a long weekend in May 2011 and enjoyed my stay tremendously. Firstly, the beginning of May is too chilly and too early in the year to make for an ideal Newport stay, however I made sure my room at The Chanler had a fireplace to cozy up to. The property is also right by the water, so you can freely walk to the beach area should you choose to.

The hotel is a converted mansion, which you can certainly feel and see from the decor throughout the building. I booked the Mediterranean Room and could not recommend it more-- suite with a separate living room and in-room fireplace. The bathroom is also enormous with a standing shower, giant hot tub, and heated tile floor. I could not be any happier with my room choice

The free daily breakfast was a much appreciated luxury and was very tasty. The staff throughout the hotel was very courteous and helpful, whether it was the front desk helping me get a copy of the Wall Street Journal or the waiter listening to me and my girlfriend tell him how he resembled Joseph Gordon Levitt.

Loved this place and I look forward to coming back.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gnowad
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Chanler is an absolutely beautiful boutique hotel with the perfect location. The rooms, especially the bathrooms are extremely well decorated and very clean. The fireplace is a nice touch. Everything is top notch. The views are amazing and the service is impeccable.

We celebrated our Anniversary at the Chanler and it could not have been more perfect. We loved the spiced pear wine, the chocolate pear treats and even the mints left on the pillow were absolutely delicious. The breakfast was to die for. The french toast was absolutely amazing and the restaurant also has nice views! We enjoyed using the complimentary car service to the shopping district and walking the cliff walk. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank swiftlysaid38
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Chanler for several nights. We changed rooms once during our stay so that we could enjoy two different types. The theming is well done (at least in the rooms we saw). Both rooms had a jacuzzi, a shower with multiple sprayers, heated bathroom floors, a gas fireplace, a small closet and a wet bar area with a Keurig coffee maker and small refrigerator. Bottled water (unfortunately, it tasted horrible to us) and K-cups (coffee) are complementary. The refrigerator was stocked with additional beverages for purchase. I had a bottle of chardonnay that was quite good.

First, we spent a couple of nights in a signature room, Louis XVI, on the second floor. It is a pretty room with chandeliers, a canopy bed and a decent-size sitting area. There are several windows with views of the ocean and the hotel’s side yard. The balcony is nice but shared with another room (we knew this in advance). The bathroom is small and awkwardly shaped. This would not have bothered me so much (it is a converted mansion, so this is to be expected) except that they have not provided a convenient place near the sink to put personal toiletries or other items needed for getting ready to go out. Another negative was that we kept getting whiffs of an unpleasant odor near the closet (dead mouse or sewage?). We were in the room a short time so opted not to deal with bringing this up to hotel staff. I would not choose this room again, though I would like to try the nearby Renaissance room.

Next, we moved to an ocean villa, Nantucket, for four nights. The entrances to the villas are outside. The room was considerably smaller than our previous room, except for the bathroom which was much larger and more functional for getting ready. The private courtyard has a fountain and shutters that can be opened to view the ocean or closed for complete privacy. There is a private hot tub and sauna. From the courtyard, there is a staircase leading to a private balcony and the room entrance. The entire wall facing the balcony is windows - wonderful for enjoying the ocean view. The remote controlled drapes are a nice touch. I liked the tall bed. (Someone shorter than average would have to use the steps provided to get in it.) We really enjoyed this room and would gladly stay in it again. (Note: Based on location, I would not want to stay in the garden villas. The walkway to all of the villas runs in front of them, then a row of trees, then the busy road. There would not be a good view and would probably be road noise. Also, there is some type of service area. The gates to it were open, and there was often staff activity.)

The staff was very accommodating and friendly. Nasia handled our check in and made us feel welcome. We were offered sparkling wine and there were chocolate dipped pears in our room. We were in our room during turndown service a few days, so we had the pleasure of meeting Estelita who was sweet and funny. They alternate different treats to leave at turndown service, and it was fun to see what would be next. We used the car service several times, and all of the valets were nice young men; we especially liked Matt. There was one young lady we saw in the restaurant several times but never caught her name (she was always wearing chandelier style earrings). She was so genuinely nice. We had a special dinner in the private dining room – our highest compliments to the chef as well as to Chris who handled our wine pairings and Andrew who was our primary server. We also greatly enjoyed breakfasts in the Verandah. The Portuguese Scrambler was probably our favorite, but nothing was bad. The fresh-squeezed orange juice was the best I have ever had. The coffee could be better and hotter. We ordered room service a couple of times, but the menu was very limited.

Sometimes, service was a little too eager, bordering on annoying. When we returned to the hotel in the afternoon, someone would call as soon as we walked into our room to ask about our evening plans, when we wanted turndown service, whether we would like reservations to be made for our dinner, etc.. I do not want to feel that my coming and going is being watched that closely. (There is no way it was coincidental that they called exactly when we got to our room.) I also found it rude that they barely gave us time to get into our room before they called. A couple of days while we were staying in the villa, the phone started ringing before we even had the door unlocked. This vacation was about relaxing and not having to be on a set schedule. Being quizzed about my evening plans before I had any was irritating. We got to the point that we just stopped answering the phone. I appreciate that service is important to the Chanler, but I would have preferred for them to be available should we request something rather than being so aggressive about offering assistance.

The grounds of the Chanler are very nice and well maintained. The common areas of the hotel are also very nice. (The women’s restroom is beautiful. I liked the wallpaper and light fixtures. It also has a fireplace, decorative sinks and cloth hand towels.) There are photos and information about the history of the mansion on display. All areas, including our rooms, were very clean.

We were in Newport primarily to see the historic mansions, so this was the perfect place for us to stay. Overall, we had a lovely experience and would recommend the Chanler.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Discrimin8ingTravlr
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Chanler at Cliff Walk was an inviting stop on an off season road trip. The detail in this historic hotel easily presented an atmosphere of luxury and class I had yet to experience. The place itself offered a free shuttle to local areas which was appreciated but not taken advantage of. The hotel sits at the "trailhead" of Cliff Walk, a 3.5 mile National Recreation Trail that is about 2/3rds pavement with the rest going over the rocky shoreline.

I stayed in the Tuscany [room] which has become the Mediterranean in recent years. While the decor has changed the layout is still the same. A bedroom, living room and a beautiful bathroom fit for a king, reminded you at every turn what you were paying for. The spa sized tub and a shower with multple massage nozzles kept you in awe.

The view of Newport City Easton's Beach and sounds of the waves crashing against the shoreline completed the Rhode Island experience dragging you outdoors to enjoy the area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends