“Beautiful !!”

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Newport
California,USA
“Beautiful !!”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Unfortunately we planned to stay one night only..
The hotel is very nice and very well kept. Our room was a little bit small but had a beautiful view of the beach. The restaurant served excellent food and service was great. People here were very friendly and professional . The hotel is very close to the mansions.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank giogio42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Dallas
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed in the Renaissance Room, alone unfortunately, since my husband was ill and didn't get to accompany me. Even alone, the room was a dreamy experience! The entire staff is so eager to please, and when you ask for anything - and I mean ANYTHING! - they are there to assist you, with a sweet smile. The staff is young and energetic. Whenever I ordered room service, two people quickly brought it up the second-floor stairs to me in just a very few minutes. On Friday night a young woman employee wearing 4-inch heels, accompanied by a young male employee so that she wouldn't trip on the stairs in her heels, delivered my meal from the Spicy Pear restaurant. I LOVED that and felt happy to be among smiling young people, particularly since my husband was not with me. The blue bedroom is stunningly decorated with 3 chandeliers, plus another chandelier in the bathroom. The gorgeous bathroom has a bidet, two golden sinks, sunken tub, 3-jet shower. Everything is so brightly lighted: in daytime because of the windows and huge balcony, and at nighttime because of the wonderful lamps and chandeliers. I plan to return to the Chanler as soon as I can! Such a gorgeous view across the water and green lawns. Would love to stay in the Louis XVI room next time, adjacent to the Renaissance Room, as it has a similar huge balcony with view of the water and grounds.

Room Tip: The 4 largest rooms in the Main Building are called Signature Rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Doris W
Milnathort Uk
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Best hotel in Newport and one of the best small hotels anywhere. Position is perfect at the start of historic Cliff Walk. Rooms are spectacular. Restaurant is superb and try to book chefs table.
Thanks for another great stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John_Malcolm
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed November 17, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Chanler for my birthday and every moment spent there was worth it. The first night we stayed in a French Provincial room and the last two the Wliiamsburg. Both rooms were tastefully decorated. They were definitely on the smaller side, however this just added to the overall cozy feel that I was looking for. The view from both rooms was amazing and I felt like I was out of the country. The background classical music playing was also a wonderful touch.

We had breakfast at the Spiced Pear restaurant and the food was delicious. What was even better was that it was included in the price of the room.

The staff was always courteous and helpful. They gave us helpful hints about local dining and even gave us a tour of one of the villas that were available. We had a minor problem with the showers in one of the rooms and this was promptly handled and what could not be repaired, a satisfactory explanation was promptly provided. The bar tending staff was efficient and friendly and drinks were always perfectly made. Maurice is a whiz.

The location allowed us to walk along the cliff walk as well as to local restaurants on Thames Street. The beach was also in viewing distance so that summer visitors should have easy access.

Worth every dime.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tobagogirl28
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We visit our family in Rhode Island at least once a year and try to pick somewhere new each time. We chose Chanler on a whim. The hotel is breathtaking. It's architecture reminds me of an old house I grew up in. We enjoy touring the city and made a side trip to Warwick and Westerly. Narraganset Bay is a tresure.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yankeeta
Georgia
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed in the Peonies and Ivy room. The service from the start was very welcoming. Our room was beautiful and cozy. We loved the private entrance and garden. It was raining the evening we were there, so we weren't able to take advantage of the private hot tub, but would have loved to! The bathtub and shower in the room were huge. We were only able to stay one night, but we will definitely return. The location, at the start of Cliff Walk was perfect. A wonderful experience!

Room Tip: The Peonies and Ivy room had a partial ocean view, which was nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lboog7011
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We came here for an over night romantic getaway and we weren't disappointed!! We stayed in the georgian suit the view was magnificent and the decor was exquizit the only down side is that the room was small and there is no flat screen tv in the bedroom. The hotel has the best location in town and the customer service was great!!! I hope I can afford coming back here in the summer time too. Can't wait !!

• Stayed November 2011