$305
The Attwater(Newport)
$369
$351
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $400/night.

Newport Marriott(Newport)
$399
$257
Agoda.com
$835
All reviewsspiced pearcar servicecliff walkgothic roomprivate hot tubocean villaslouis xvigreek revivalenglish tudorglass of sparkling wineblock islandprivate courtyardmy husband and ibeautiful hotelgas fireplacewet bareaston beach
Reviewed June 27, 2011

This hotel is located in a beautiful location right at the beginning of the Cliff Walk in Newport. The property overlooks Narragansett Bay and the rooms are beautifully furnished. Our room, the Colonial, was extremely small, so small that the staff had to put the luggage rack in front of the closet door. Apparently, one has to move the rack each time the guest wants to get something out of the closet! Access to the Colonial is from an exterior porch, where there were two chairs provided to sit on to enjoy the view. Apparently, the chairs have cushions that go with them -- we noticed our neighbor's on their porch with similar chairs -- but the cushions were not provided for ours. Lack of attention to these kinds of details added to the disappointment. Because the room was so small the only place to sit and read were the outside chairs. Unfortunately, our porch and chairs were adjacent to the hotel's terrace where a wedding was in full swing at 4 pm, and the rap music was not amusing. The final blow however was that we definitely were served by the B Team -- the server at the included breakfast brought us an orange juice in a 4 oz glass (this is not a joke!) and the valet parker got in and drove our car away from the hotel with the back side door fully open!

If this property was inexpensive it would be one thing, but the minimum price for a room is $350. We certainly did not get our money's worth.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank SharonCapeCod
StephenChanler, Director of Sales at The Chanler at Cliff Walk, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

Dear SharonCapeCod,

Well Oh No! We are so disappointed to hear that you felt your stay was not up to par. We have made note of all of your comments. We are sorry you felt your room was too small. One of the characteristics that make The Chanler so unique is that indeed that we are converted from one of the Gilded Age mansions in Newport, and with 20 rooms some will be smaller than others. Colonial is the smallest and least expensive for that reason. If you would ever want to experience The Chanler again, please contact me directly and I would be glad to work with you to find your perfect room. We hope everything else was perfect for your anniversary trip.

Best...
Stephen Merriman

Reviewed June 19, 2011

We stayed in the Nantucket room for 2 nights. Upon arrival, we were given a delicious pear shaped shortbread cookie. It was so good, we purchased some for the long ride home to Virginia. The room was beautifully furnished and very comfortable. On the down side, the room was also small and the only closet miniscule. Breakfast and 1 dinner was included in our package. Breakfasts were delicious and the service was prompt. Dinner, on the other hand, I could do without. The service were extremely slow. It took 55 minutes after ordering to get our appetizers. I ordered crabcakes and was told the delay was the chef did not like the way the first one came out. After waiting 55 minutes, the second one was cold and I wonder what the first one was like. The entrees took another 45 minutes. I must say that the restaurant was not crowded at all. The food was good but not great. It took us close to three hours for the meal and we only ordered three courses and no wine pairing.
Other than the dinner server, every employee we met was efficient, courteous and extremely helpful. I would not hesitate to stay here again, just have dinner somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank castlefan
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I spent a weekend at the Chanler during the off season, and very much enjoyed it.

We stayed in the Nantucket room, which has its own balcony with ocean view (beautiful), as well as a hot tub and sauna. The room was lovely, but literally fits the bed and two bedside tables and that's about it. We didn't mind, but don't expect to have a lot of room to stretch out! Well worth it for the view and the experience, to my mind.

We had some problems with the hot tub--it really didn't work at all, and though we let the front desk know, it was never repaired. Shame, because in the cool March weather, would have been perfect.

The Spiced Pear restaurant was OK, but not as good as the restaurants in town for brunch. Dinner was delicious, but again, not best food I've ever had special. The dinner came with our package though, so no complaints!

I never do this, but it was a special occasion (my birthday), so we had in room massages, and I will say that it was one of the top 5 massages I've ever gotten. Therapist was fantastic, really nice, and really good. My husband enjoyed his as well!

All in all, I'd say the Chanler was a special weekend for us, in a gorgeous setting. It's a lot of money, but you do get a full experience in a way you wouldn't for less. And to top it off, you're right at the beginning of the cliff walk!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrsAWW
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Absolutely amazing location for a romantic getaway. Expensive, of course, but you have to pay for uniqueness. We stayed for just one night in room 12 (there aren't many) which has its own entrance from an outside deck overlooking the ocean. Best feature is the hotel is right on the cliff walk which is a spectacular path that runs along the ocean for miles in front of the famous mansions overlooking the harbor. A few glitches--I was surprised that the toilet room off the bathroom didn't have a door for privacy. Also, we couldn't figure out how to work the AC. When I called the front desk at 10:00 pm for help, I was told that they would have to send maintenance the next day because there was nobody around who could help. As it turned out, we just had to slide a switch under the thermostat. If we hadn't figured that out ourselves, it would have been an unpleasantly warm night. The only meal we ate there was the included breakfast served outside on a covered deck with a beautiful elevated ocean view. French toast was superb. Omelet a little over-cooked. Would definitely go back for the views and location.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sbtrooper
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Found the furnishings and surroundings to be very well done. Had one of the cottages along the side of the main building with the hot tub. The private deck and gardens around the hot tub were very nice. Room was extremely comfortable and spacious. Service was a little hectic at times (likely a temporary staff to deal with the summer crowds) but was pretty efficient. The food in the restaurants was good. Parking is free in their lot. View from the cliff is nice over the ocean and beach below. The hotel does not have a private beach and I don't recall if it had a main pool. I was shocked at how much it costs to stay here given the locaton (is Newport that exclusive? It's no Nantucket..) and lack of a private beach. I might recommend staying here in the fall or winter if you're looking for a weekend getaway from Boston/NY/CT. I wouldn't bother coming here in the summer and paying the exorbitant prices.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business