“Great organization”

The Preservation Society of Newport County
Ranked #18 of 82 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: Society dedicated to the preservation of 9 of Newport's mansions.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I am so grateful that this organization has taken on the task of preserving and protecting these beautiful homes of the gilded age, as well as many others in Newport. I purchased a membership so that I could see all of the homes. I enjoyed every second of the trip. I feel that joining as a member is an excellent value because you are able to see all of the homes.

All reviews
in 27 reviews
"elms"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Check the schedule before you go. Green Animals is closed during off season:

Gorgeous place! Kids can walk around free and enjoy the animal trees and all the gorgeous nature and views there. Highly recommend for adults and kids.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We joined the society since it was the most cost effective way to see the mansions! I highly recommend it! You also get a discount in the museum stores!

1  Thank quelinda13
Reviewed July 24, 2013

On a trip to Newport last week my husband and I visited the mansions and took the servant life tour. We r great fans of Downton Abbey and were excited to see it. I was very disappointed that the Docent was a young man who had no personality and had to be prodded for information. He led us through a bunch of empty rooms and we pretty much felt like we were ripped off. The tour taught us nothing about a servants life and proved to be a waste of time and money. I think you need to rethink that tour to better serve the people who would want to get a glimpse of a servants life in that era.

3  Thank Bonnie O
See more reviews
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A friend and I recently spent a week in Newport so that we could see everything available on the full membership plan! Yes, we worked very hard to see 10 (I think!) places, but that was our goal. The full membership cost of $50 was worth the price for the way we wanted to tackle the 10 places. The web site gives detailed information about the various options, so read it carefully to determine which plan makes the most sense for you. For us, it was the right thing.