“Great way to see and learn about Newport!”
Review of On Watch Sailing

On Watch Sailing
More attraction details
Owner description: Newport Rhode Island, finest sailing on the East Coast! Let us show you Newport Harbor, with its classic and mega-yachts and picturesque surroundings before venturing onto Narragansett Bay, with its rocky shoreline, lighthouses, beautiful bridge and mansions. With a capacity of up to 6 persons, Lyra sails daily from Newport, Rhode Island, from mid-April through the end of November. We offer private two-hour, half-day and full-day sails as well as advanced sailing instruction.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Wonderful afternoon of sailing for our family of 4 that included a 9 yo and 11 yo. Mom and Dad relaxed at the front of the boat while Green showed our children how to manage the ropes and steer us around. Everyone got to do exactly what they wanted. When the weather didn't cooperate, he had rain jackets handy and prorated our excursion when we had to go back early. I am prone to motion sickness, but the water was very smooth and I felt great.

2  Thank Shannon B
g8brett, Owner at On Watch Sailing, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your time with us on the water. It would have been nice to have a bigger weather window, but at least we go to see most of the sights in the area and to get some good sailing in!

All reviews
"ketch"
"boat"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed July 6, 2013

My Boys and I wanted a True sailing experience and Captain Green fully delivered! Both my sons had a wonderful lesson jibbing, tracking and steering the boat while I watched and took great pictures. They probably learned a full weeks worth of sailing lessons in 3 hours. I give Captain Green a 5 STAR RATING AND WILL DEFINITELY RETURN!

2  Thank KTedesco
g8brett, Owner at On Watch Sailing, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

I'm so glad you had a good time. Every sail is unique and I certainly enjoyed sailing with your boys!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Short trip out to the mooring by launch and there we were.
Lovely boat...some conversation and then we were off.
We had such an incredible afternoon with Capt Green on the Lyra.
Green is full of info on the local spots...and this short afternoon on the water turned out to be one of the most wonderful experiences. My wife was absolutely tranquil and Green even turned it into a mini sailing lesson for me...omg...Fathers day present from my wife...sailing lessons....
Thanks ...really!!!

1  Thank Alan R
g8brett, Owner at On Watch Sailing, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

A and J, it was a pleasure sailing with you. There are times when a trip is very rewarding to me personally and your sail was one. It is a wonderful thing to bring someone new to sailing aboard and watch them fall in love with the experience in such a short period of time. Best to the both of you and may you enjoy a wealth of delightful time on the water!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

What an epic sail in historic and picturesque Newport, RI!
The Lyra was ideal for the three of us. The Captain, Green, was very knowledgable about the area and an expert on the water. Although we left the harbor with sunny skies and calm winds, Green noticed a fog bank coming in at about 1.5 hours in. We were worried nor did it hamper our trip.
With Green, we had the full experience: some beautiful summer weather plus a taste of sailing reality, the fog bank. On our harbor cruise, we were able to view the sights, handle the helm and lines, as well as sit back and relax.
This is a must do in Newport.

g8brett, Owner at On Watch Sailing, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for the review Heidi!