“A Must Do in Newport, Rhode Island”
Review of On Watch Sailing

On Watch Sailing
More attraction details
Owner description: Newport Rhode Island, finest sailing on the East Coast! Let us show you Newport Harbor, with its classic and mega-yachts and picturesque surroundings before venturing onto Narragansett Bay, with its rocky shoreline, lighthouses, beautiful bridge and mansions. With a capacity of up to 6 persons, Lyra sails daily from Newport, Rhode Island, from mid-April through the end of November. We offer private two-hour, half-day and full-day sails as well as advanced sailing instruction.
Kauai, Hawaii
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A Must Do in Newport, Rhode Island”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

What an epic sail in historic and picturesque Newport, RI!
The Lyra was ideal for the three of us. The Captain, Green, was very knowledgable about the area and an expert on the water. Although we left the harbor with sunny skies and calm winds, Green noticed a fog bank coming in at about 1.5 hours in. We were worried nor did it hamper our trip.
With Green, we had the full experience: some beautiful summer weather plus a taste of sailing reality, the fog bank. On our harbor cruise, we were able to view the sights, handle the helm and lines, as well as sit back and relax.
This is a must do in Newport.

Visited May 2013
g8brett, Owner at On Watch Sailing, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for the review Heidi!

San Antonio, Texas
“Great Captain”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I got to sail with Captain Green Brett on a sunset cruise yesterday. He made the cruise interactive and actually taught me about sailing. I would highly recommend sailing with Captain Brett.

Visited April 2013
g8brett, Owner at On Watch Sailing, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I am glad you had a good time and I enjoyed talking with you. Thank you for the review!
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Perfect sunset sail!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I went to Newport for our honeymoon. Choosing the perfect captain and boat were very important to me as it was my husbands first time sailing and I wanted him to love it as much as I do. We made the right choice. My husband got to spend some time at the helm and now is hooked on sailing! We also got to see a pod of porpoises which made it so special. The sunset wasn't as great as we had hoped as it was overcast, but we wouldn't have traded anything. Green was the best Captain I have ever sailed with and his boat Lyra, is beautiful.

Visited October 2012
Clark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Newport Must!”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

A must do if you are in the Newport area! The sail is absolutely amazing...smooth, quiet, breath-taking views! Captain Green is a pleasure to sail with and so knowledgable about the area! It is a chance to see the area up-close, learn some historic facts, relax in a beautiful atmosphere, and get some great photos too!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Andrea T
Caribou, Maine
“The Perfect Marriage Proposal Thanks to Green”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Green and the Lyra went above and beyond my expectations in creating the perfect setting to propose to my now fiancee. Before booking, I researched all of the private charter options in Newport that provided sunset sailing tours. I liked that Green had a small, locally owned business and seemed like he could provide the personal attention and warm/inviting atmosphere necessary for what I needed. I contacted him numerous times leading up to my trip to coordinate everything about the proposal, exactly how I wanted to do it, and he always responded super fast. During the sail, he taught both my fiancee and I some of the basics of sailing in a super relaxed and laid back atmosphere. The boat (Lyra) itself was the perfect size, the water was beautiful, and the sunset incredible! Green and I even coordinated the timing of the proposal so that he took the wheel and pointed us in the perfect direction as the sun set. He was so accommodating and the whole thing could not have gone so smoothly were it not for him. Coming back into Newport Harbor among the other boats with the sky colored orange and pink, and newly engaged, is an image and feeling that I will never forget. We were smiling so much on the trip that my fiancee and I both had sore cheeks at the end! I can not say enough about Green and the Lyra - it was more than perfect for my proposal and is the best thing I have ever done in my many trips to Newport. Thanks Green!

Visited September 2012