“Wow!”
Review of On Watch Sailing

On Watch Sailing
More attraction details
Owner description: Newport Rhode Island, finest sailing on the East Coast! Let us show you Newport Harbor, with its classic and mega-yachts and picturesque surroundings before venturing onto Narragansett Bay, with its rocky shoreline, lighthouses, beautiful bridge and mansions. With a capacity of up to 6 persons, Lyra sails daily from Newport, Rhode Island, from mid-April through the end of November. We offer private two-hour, half-day and full-day sails as well as advanced sailing instruction.
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Green and his beautiful boat Lyra gave my family (me, my wife and 19 year old daughter) a memorable two hour sail. Booked us with short notice while accommodating our tight schedule. A+ service. We liked that he reserves the whole boat and cruise just for your party - no strangers. He gives you his undivided attention. Green possesses a wealth of knowledge about the area and local businesses. We asked him about places to eat, gave him the type of food and price range, and he sent us to two fabulous restaurants. Wish we lived closer so we could sail with him more often. Worth every penny. Book a sail; you will not regret your decision even if you have never been on a boat before. The only way to truly experience Newport!

1  Thank ChrisKlz

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We had a great time and really enjoyed the afternoon sailing. Our boys were really smiling during their turn taking the wheel. Green knew so much about the other ships in the harbor and the history of the many sights.

1  Thank SeasideRetreat1
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My wife, two teen daughters and I were looking for a chance to experience Newport from the water. I researched all of the options I could find and settled on OnWatch as the less corporate, more personalized sailing option in the area. We were not disappointed. Captain Green and the Lyra were were a perfect match for our expectations. He shared all sorts of anecdotes about Newport history, the pedigree of various vessels we encountered, stories about estates and people as well as some of the area scoop that only locals can share. Best of all, it was just us; we weren't crammed into one of the big cattle-car boats with 40 other people. We lounged about the Lyra as if it were our sailboat...and for a couple of hours, it was.

We had a beautiful day. The wind was light and the trip relaxing as we toured Newport Bay, Green even let one of my daughters pilot the Lyra including bringing the boat back into the harbor. Green's casual enthusiasm for sailing, for the Lyra and for Newport were contagious and we were all pulled into the local experience. My hope is to bring all of my kids back and go out for at least half a day with Green. This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip to the area and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.

Happy sailing! Phil Berry

2  Thank Phillip B
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I live in Austin, Texas and had no idea on which company to book a sunset sailboat cruise. Searching the Web I ran across On Watch Sailing. Oh my, what a wonderful experience it was to sail on the Lyra. Captain Green was an extraordinary host. He provided us with historical information about sites along on cruise and made us feel like we were a part of his family. There are just not enough words to express the joy and pleasure of this PRIVATE sailing experience. My family and I wish Green and his family all the best. Please book a reservation. You will not be disappointed.

Robert