“Average at best...”

Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Providence, RI
“Average at best...”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed at this Motel 6 for the first time in about 8 years on a recent Monday. It seemed like there was hardly anyone there, when I pulled into the lot at 11 PM, there were only 2-3 cars in the lot. Upon opening the door to room 101, you can smell that musty Motel 6 smell that most travelers will recognize who frequent the chain. It goes away after several minutes though. Compared to the nearby Seekonk property, the TV selection was quite poor and very small. The lady at the front desk seemed kind of disinterested, and spoke my room number out loud. Having worked in the industry, I know that is a big mistake for security issues.

The neighborhood is not in the tourist area by any means, and there is a adult video store across the street, but I did not feel uncomfortable here. It is an easy walk to a Stop and Shop and Walmart. There are plenty of dinning choices in the plazza, including a 99 Restaurant and 5 Guys(Yum!) If you enjoy gambling, its only a few minutes away from Newport Grand.

The offseason rates(39.99 on this night) was a good deal, but I don't think a room here is worth much more than that. If you are on a bare bones budget, or just want a place to crash for the night, you'll be okay here. I've actually slept on worse beds than the ones here. If you want your hotel to be a memorable part of your trip to Newport, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms near the exit door. You will hear people coming and going all night if you are a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank steveskin1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2012

It is NOT worth the savings.

I showed up on Friday, 26 October, 2012, for a 2-night reservation that I had made 3 weeks prior, and had called about at least 3 times. I had called because I was concerned about the extremely negative reviews. The first time I called, I spoke with Michelle, whose demeanor and professionalism reassured me that I'd be alright with Motel 6, that she herself would ensure that my stay would be pleasant, that the room and sheets would be clean. How wrong I was. I called about 2 weeks after the first call, a few days before I was scheduled to make the 5 hour drive to Newport, just to check and make sure everything was OK, and discovered that Michelle had left to work elsewhere. I spoke with her colleague, who was reasonably amiable, but not nearly as nice or amiable as Michelle. She seemed to be annoyed by my wish to be reassured. That gave me pause. I also discovered on that call that the reservation details that I had discussed with Michelle had not been noted as we had discussed, so essentially, the reservation that I had made, had not really been made, and the original room type that I had reserved was no longer available.

So, I had to make a new reservation with the new person I was speaking with.

One aspect of the reservation was that I was supposed to have a mini refrigerator in the room. Since that was one of the features that was no longer available because it had not been noted when I made the original reservation, I pressed the issue, and finally after some time, the person I was speaking with acquiesced, got the 'Manager', who allegedly 'fixed' the reservation issues, and stated that he would put a spare refrigerator in the room. Though I was a bit apprehensive about what sort of extra mini frig they might have just lying around, I agreed, hoping for the best.

I had originally planned to be there at 6pm on Friday. The traffic was so bad, that I ended up calling to let the front desk know that I would be late. The front desk person was vague and not reassuring that all was well. I had to ask him to clarify. I finally arrive at the Motel six at about 8pm. The lobby/check-in area really stinks, and is dingy and truly frightening looking. It is so unkempt and uninviting that I cannot help but feel that I have walked onto the set of some horror flick. I ask the front desk person about it, expressing that I am apprehensive about what the room is like if the lobby looks this way. He is totally unresponsive and indifferent to my concerns.

I give the reservation number, and am told that the reservation that I had made at the price I had originally agreed is now a different higher price, with NONE of the details about it that I had arranged for. SO - - again I see that the reservation had never been 'fixed'. There was a reservation number, but truly how could it matter if nothing about the reservation was saved.

The front desk person was completely unresponsive - - it was pretty obvious that he couldn't give a rat's rear about doing anything productive, nor could he see any reason why I should be upset at having arrived after a grueling 5-hour trek only to discover that all of my attempts at planning in advance has been entirely fruitless. He treats me as if I am the problem, and calls the 'Manager' to 'resolve' the situation.

The 'Manager' appears in filthy shorts, looking filthy and unkempt himself. He has no interest in addressing and correcting their errors and nonexistent service, gives me a massively arrogant attitude, showing no recollection of who I am, and the prior 'arrangements' that had been made for my reservation. He proceeds to stand there asking me questions as if I am some sort of crazy person who has just arrived making mad accusations. I am completely disgusted by this point and say so. The 'Manager' proceeds to order to me to leave the premises, telling me that he will not honor the reservation.

I left, got online, and made a reservation with Hotels dot com at the nearby Best Western.

Motel 6 Newport would better as a parking lot, and that 'Manager' needs a bath and attitude adjustment.

Do NOT, EVER, under ANY circumstances, stay at the Motel 6 in Newport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank E S

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stay here often because of the price, cleanliness and proximity to places I visit. Hotel was recently wired for complete wifi that works great. Hotel staff is friendly and helpful. I hadf some work to do and they went out of their way to print and fax for me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I've stayed here many times over the years because of the value and location. This summer we stayed there for four nights and it wasn't that bad although not as good as in the past. This past weekend was a terrible experience. The room had a very strong odor of dog urine as did the hallway in various spots. The bathroom floor was not clean and there was hair visible on it when we first entered the room. The desk clerks always seem like they would rather be somewhere else (can't blame them). The thug quotient in the neighborhood seems to be rising as well. The manager seems like a nice guy with nothing to work with. My girlfriend swears she will never stay here again. I cannot recommend this place to anyone anymore.

Room Tip: The earlier you arrive, the better chance of getting switched to a better room if the original one i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John D
Naples, Florida
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The motel is located just north of town on a busy highway. There are lots of shopping areas right nearby and within walking distance, including a Walmart and a Stop and Shop. I was given a large, two bedded room, number 107. The room was clean and furnished in the usual Motel 6 style. There is a long counter along the wall that has three large drawers on one end, two shelves on the other and a chair in the middle. There is a small TV on top and plenty of room to spread out one's supplies. There is also a luggage rack with a clothes rack and hangers above it. The bathroom was spotless and well furnished with towels. The sink is vanity style with sufficient room and mirror is large. The shower was great and there was plenty of water pressure. My bed was very comfortable with a firm mattress. Bed linens were clean looking and adequate. The room is very well lit, with two lamps over the nightstand between the two beds and another over the counter area. There was no noticeable smell of smoke or anything else. Rooms are accessed from the inside from either the office area or doors at the end of the hallway. I was near the end of the hall, so I didn't have to walk far. I was able to park my car right outside my window. My only negative comments would be that the hallways look a bit tired and dingy and my airconditioner/heater seemed stuck in the on (AC) position. The temperature control dial didn't seem to be working, nor did the mode dial. Even switched to stop, it kept running. Rather than to go through the hassle of requesting another room, I simply unplugged it, since there was really no need for either heat or AC. I did mention it to the clerk, but it didn't appear that he rushed to make a note of it. All in all, a good choice for the budget traveler in expensive Newport. Room cost, including tax and senior discount was $61.

Room Tip: Highway noise was very noticeable in the morning, but it didn't bother me at all during the nigh...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Ringwood, NJ
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This place is great. We got here and the front desk guy was really nice. When we got to the room it looked as if it had been renovated. The carpet was clean and everything was spotless. The windows open(awesome) and it has a great air conditioner.

The area around the hotel is great. There is a shopping center with a Wal Mart, Dunkin Donuts, Old Navy, and other stores in case you need anything. We ate at Cilantro Mexican Grill the night we got into town before retiring to the hotel. We plan on getting up early to explore Newport.

I'm sorry others had a bad experience but I think it's a GREAT hotel and it's very clean in a great area. It's 5 minutes from downtown Newport, tops.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Had to book a room in Newport at the last minute and could not justify paying over $300 for 6 hours sleep so we stayed at Motel 6 in Newport RI. Never again at any Motel 6 for that matter. This place was the most dreary and dismal place we have ever stayed at in our lives. The windows were filthy. The toilet bowl was tipsy and the mattress was as thin as I have have been on. On top of that the place stunk of commercial cleaner to mask the muskiness of this pit. Should have slept in my SUV.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money if you feel the need to stay in town, or travel a few more miles to the outski...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 0Donald0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Newport Ambassador Inn & Suites
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Gilded
Gilded
#10 of 21 in Newport

Been to Motel 6 Newport? Share your experiences!