“We and OUR DOG are back to enjoy Motel 6!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel 6 Newport

Motel 6 Newport
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“We and OUR DOG are back to enjoy Motel 6!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is the third or fourth year we are here at the Motel 6 Newport with our ginormous beast. We come for a couple of weeks and stay the first night here, before moving to our timeshare. Not much has changed since last year. It is still the basic motel format, the rooms were updated last year I think, this year we were in the other wing of the motel, but the rooms are the same. It is clean, seems a bit damp and musty-smelling, but that's due to the humidity and moisture. (No change from any other year.) They provide soap, there is a vending machine and an ice machine off the lobby as well as coffee. There's greenery around for your dog, and you can walk to various shops and restaurants, which is nice. Plenty of parking. This is an interior-hallway Motel 6, so if you want to have access to the outside as much as possible get a room on the end. First floor is just double queens, no kings except on the 2nd floor. Wifi available - for a fee - in some rooms but not others. Reservations were super easy to make online, the pet policy is any pet of any size (and just try finding THAT elsewhere!) for no additional fee, and where else can you get a room in Newport in August for under $75 including all taxes (which are obnoxiously high in RI but that's not Motel 6's fault)? The absolute BEST thing happened to us, though. We arrived super early - I have no idea what time check in is, but I'm sure it's not before noon and probably more like 2 pm. We actually arrived at 8:30 in the morning, and thought we'd see what time we could check in... they let us have the room right then, for no additional charge! They were so nice and so helpful, and having driven through the night we were able to get some much-needed sleep that morning. The front desk was just so nice, and accommodating. Everyone was also really nice to our dog, even though I think some of the staff were a little thrown by him (he is a 200# Saint Bernard and as friendly as they come). Also, speaking of dogs, this is also walking distance to the local dogpark. We will be back next year, of course!

Room Tip: King beds are on 2nd floor, if you want wifi be sure to specify as not all rooms have it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Billerica, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Compared to the other hotels in the area, this one was pretty bad. Usually when you go to newport beach you expect to sleep at decent place. We arrived and the parking lot was packed so we had to park in another parking lot. The room was non-smoking yet it still smelled like wet dog. Fews stains here and there on the furniture but no big deal.

The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly but overall we did not like quality/oder of the room for the price paid.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

This accommodation offered a clean room at a reasonable price. Arriving at night I did have a hard time finding it as it is not on the main road into Newport. Good location though only 5 minutes to the Cliff Walk and downtown Newport.

Other than the difficulty finding the motel, I would recommend it to stay.

Front counter service though could be a touch friendlier.

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

For being in Newport, the price is very reasonable, but I probably won't stay here again. I was staying here with my mother for 2 nights. Our room stank. Smelled really musty. The A/C unit does not turn off! The only way to do it is to crawl on the floor underneath it and unplug the unit from the wall. Also, woke up very itchy. Don't think it was bedbugs because I had no red bites. But I woke up very itchy all over. Maybe the detergent they use to wash the linens. I have stayed at this motel before and never had a bad experience like this. They have just gone down in quality. Disappointed because this is an inexpensive place to stay when coming to Newport.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank lauraann1278
Center Barnstead, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

My stay was horrible rooms were nasty food in the draws who knows how long it was there. It took fore rooms to find a frig to keep my meds cold. Service was bad I gues you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
washington depot CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

a mildew smell overwhelmed me when I enter my room. I could not tell if the sheets on one of the bed have been changed... a constant loud noise was coming from a AC unit even when I turned it off... oh yes! and no remote control for the old TV.
Horrible fluorescent lights.
Those rooms have not been remodeled since the 70's, the Motel 6 people need to think about doing something!!! Even for $69 it should be possible to offer a clean, simple, happy place.
Yes, the bathroom was clean but made me feel like I was in an hospital. Depressing!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank llavagne
Salisbury, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

While it does look a little shady around the building the inside is just fine. I wouldn't say the room was overly clean when we got there, but it suited our needs. Each of the 3 nights we were there, we had an AMAZING cleaning lady, who not only cleaned the room, but straighted up all our crap! And we had a lot of crap, 4 people in one hotel room equals a lot of stuff and she meticulously put our things in nice neat piles. It is located next to a shopping center that has a Shop & Save along with a variety of other stores which was very convenient. We were within a 5 - 10 minute drive to the mansions and shopping areas of Newport. I would recommend this motel to anyone looking for a relatively cheap place to stay in Newport.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cathy R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Newport Ambassador Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn Middletown
Comfort Inn Middletown
#13 of 17 in Middletown

Been to Motel 6 Newport? Share your experiences!