“Go for drinks on the rooftop bar at sunset”

The Vanderbilt Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Vanderbilt Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Clarke Street & Thame Street
Description: In the heart of coastal Newport, The Vanderbilt Grill delivers classic and contemporary dishes that are beautifully presented and grilled to perfection. All of our ingredients are seasonal and regionally sourced to deliver classic New England to all of the senses. Enjoy the comfort of grilled favorites and the taste of upscale familiar dishes. The Vanderbilt Grill is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We went to a wine dinner there on a beautiful summer evening with friends. needless to say the wine was great, the food was delicious, with wonderful ambiance.

1  Thank Ron C

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Elegant, quiet and extrodinary service simply enhance the wonderful food. We visited during Newport's restaurant week (Nov '12) and loved our meal. My bison burger was perfect, my wife's crab dish was unique and tasty. The dessert options are some of the best in Newport. First class experience ... try to visit with a coupon or during a special event with a discount. Otherwise, it's pricey ... but worth it.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

More relaxed than Muse, but still offers very good food at more reasonable values. I had an excellent halibut with mushroom risotto and my husband was also very happy with his chicken with a soy glaze.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We only stayed in Newport for 4 days and ate twice here. The food was very good but the service was excellent. You must try their signiture drink, amazing! you can sit outside and basically have the place to yourself. great place to bring your kids, as they have so much to look at while you are waiting for your food.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

After a long day of Newport Mansion tours my husband and I went to this restaurant hoping for a nice dinner based on previous reviews. I made reservations online at opentable.com and was surprised that the restaurant was offering 1000 points vs. regular 100 per visit, but was not concerned. We were seated outside, the atmosphere was very relaxing. We ordered two glasses of Riesling.
The service was good, but very pretentious. The words "superb", "fantastic" and "I am so happy you liked the meal" seemed to be at the top list on our waitress' vocabulary list. It kind of made me sick and uncomfortable.
I ordered salmon - my regular fish that you can never go wrong with. 10 minutes later my food came, which was very surprising as it takes time to "create" a dish. When I "dug in" my fish, it was absolutely raw!!! Never in my life did I have to return a dish, but this time I could not tolerate the lack of cooking abilities of the cook.
My waitress apologized and took the dish, 15 minutes later I was served another piece of salmon cooked to order. By that time I started really hating salmon. In fact, my hunger just went away for some reason. The waitress claimed that the cook would come to make sure the food is good, but of course no one showed up!
Even if you disregard the uncooked fish, food there leaves much to be desired!
At the end of the dinner I expected a discount on my wonderful dish if not a full refund. What I received was a full bill. I requested the bill to be revised and luckily it was. This is when the restaurant earned the first star in my mind.
Do not go there for food, you will be disappointed. The place has beautiful outdoor area and is good for the atmosphere.