“Bizarre unethical sales tactics”

Destination Chocolate
Ranked #15 of 46 Shopping in Newport
Burnaby, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Bizarre unethical sales tactics”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I am not surprised to see the negative reviews for this shop. We were in there with our well-behaved 10 year old son and she was snippy with him as he walked through the door, as I'd he, a potential customer, was in her way. Then as I looked at the chocolates I heard her tell my son, who was playing with a sample robot toy (that dispenses candy) that "his mom can buy him one from over here. Here- choose one!" thereby putting me in the awkward position. His father then walked in and she rang up the purchase (which when I started to debate whether we had decided or not, said "It's only $5!"). Then after we paid for it she walked away, without even handing the item or offering to out it in a bag. It was seriously awkward and totally rude. Steer clear!

4 Thank vancouver_72

Cambridge
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“AWFUL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I couldn't agree more with every negative review on the site. I am a local and my 86 year old father (with cane in hand) was asked to vacate a chair outside the establishment. There wasn't a customer in sight or anyone interested in being served at any of the three vacant tables.
If you are interested in delicious chocolate WITH excellent service I would highly recommend either La Maison de Coco (on Bellevue Ave.) or Newport Chocolates (on William St.).

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Jber40
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“horrible service; medicore chocolate”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were very disappointed with the average (ie supermarket quality) chocolate, but even more insulted by the owner or pompous saleswoman. It must be really nice for her to just rest on her (self-assumed) laurels and just let her location guarantee that she has business - not by having quality or reasonable manners. Some of the chocolates were very pretty, so if one wanted to take a picture, these would be lovely chocolates. Otherwise - stay far away.

We strolled in and since it was a hot day, we didn't want to carry around a box of chocolates. I specifically asked if we could buy some loose chocolate, so the woman working there (not sure if she was the owner) went to the back where they have single chocolates, and got out a small box. We picked out two chocolates, and she informed us that there was a 4 chocolate minimum (Really? They're loose. What's the problem?). We said that we had just wanted two chocolates, and she instructed us "THIS is not 'walking around' chocolate!" My biggest regret is that we didn't walk out right then. We passively picked out two more chocolates (making our total $10 plus tax).

They tasted like something maybe a step above Russell Stover. Maybe. So I'm sorry lady, this isn't even *good enough* for 'walking around chocolate'. I actually want to enjoy want I eat.

Visited September 2012
6 Thank Devorah L
South Berwick, Maine
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Horrible Owner”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I am a senior and have been around the block many times in my life traveling extensively. My daughter and I visited this shop on the wharf curious about the variety of chocolates and also the name illyusa chocolate displayed. The owner was rude, offensive, nasty when I mentioned illyusa saying we love their coffee. She informed me the shop was called Destination Chocolate NOT illyusa while texting on her cell phone. With that, we did an about face and left. I have better things to do than to go into a shop and be received as a customer a unhappy, miserable, negative woman. It absolutely amazes me she is still in business. Do yourself a favor, avoid her shop at all costs.

Visited August 2012
5 Thank Nancy S
Wethersfield, CT
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Will never patronize this storeagain”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have been coming to Newport for many many years and plan on coming for many more;however, I will never make another purchase at this store. First, it is overpriced. Second, the customer service is abominable starting with the owner. I've purchased both chocolate and art (last year) and yet when I walked I'm lady night I was completely ignored EXCEPT when my 7 year old sat outside at the table with her ice cream. That unfortunate action elicited an immediate response from the owner who informed us in clipped tones that ice cream was not allowed. It is a shame that this much attention isn't given to the patrons in the shop. Mind you it was 8:45 at night, no signs were posted and there was another empty table.

7 Thank lbmesq