“Horrible Owner”

Destination Chocolate
Ranked #14 of 48 Shopping in Newport
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I am a senior and have been around the block many times in my life traveling extensively. My daughter and I visited this shop on the wharf curious about the variety of chocolates and also the name illyusa chocolate displayed. The owner was rude, offensive, nasty when I mentioned illyusa saying we love their coffee. She informed me the shop was called Destination Chocolate NOT illyusa while texting on her cell phone. With that, we did an about face and left. I have better things to do than to go into a shop and be received as a customer a unhappy, miserable, negative woman. It absolutely amazes me she is still in business. Do yourself a favor, avoid her shop at all costs.

5  Thank Nancy S
There are newer reviews for Destination Chocolate

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have been coming to Newport for many many years and plan on coming for many more;however, I will never make another purchase at this store. First, it is overpriced. Second, the customer service is abominable starting with the owner. I've purchased both chocolate and art (last year) and yet when I walked I'm lady night I was completely ignored EXCEPT when my 7 year old sat outside at the table with her ice cream. That unfortunate action elicited an immediate response from the owner who informed us in clipped tones that ice cream was not allowed. It is a shame that this much attention isn't given to the patrons in the shop. Mind you it was 8:45 at night, no signs were posted and there was another empty table.

7  Thank lbmesq
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I cannot speak to the quality of the chocolates, because I lost all interest in trying them due to the rude lady - I should instead say woman, she was no lady - running the shop. When I walked in, she was on a cell phone. She neither welcomed me nor offered any assistance whatsoever. I walked around the shop for perhaps two to three minutes; then, my husband stepped in. She immediately asked the person on the phone to hold on. She said hello to my husband, then proceeded to show him a tray where he could set his ice cream down. He had a cup of ice cream he had just gotten at Ben & Jerry's. He is an adult, not a child. There was no sign posted stating that food could not be brought in. (This shop is among several others, many of which serve food and beverage. It is not uncommon to see people walking in and out of shops with a drink or snack.) His ice cream was in a cup, not a dripping cone, and this is a chocolate shop, not a clothing boutique. What I found most offensive about this was that she could not bother to pull herself away from her call to offer assistance to me, yet she quickly made sure she told my husband to put his ice cream down. We left right away and will certainly never return. If this woman owns this shop, I hope her arrogance, poor customer service and rudeness lead to it's closing. If she is an employee, I hope the owner sees this review - you must get rid of her!

6  Thank Discrimin8ingTravlr
Reviewed December 8, 2011

We found Destination Chocolate while on a wonderful vacation in Newport, RI. The whole family fell in love with their beautiful chocolates! I now order Destination Chocolates for the Kids' Birthdays, Christmas and Easter! The quality of the chocolates is outstanding and Martha Marie, the proprietor, is a joy!

1  Thank Momgela
Reviewed November 18, 2011

First of all, this rating has nothing to do with the actual chocolate, which I'm sure is delicious.

I'm giving the service here only one star because it was absolutely awful. The shopkeeper seemed friendly at first, but while we were looking at the truffles on display, she became INCREDIBLY pushy. It sounds like an exaggeration, but she was really the most obnoxious shop owner I have ever met. She kept attempting to rudely cajole us into buying some truffles even though we very politely said that we were just looking. When she finally realized that it wasn't going to happen, she said, "Well, have a nice day then, bye-bye" and huffily turned her back on us--while we were still in the store!!

As I said, for all I know these chocolates are amazing, but this woman was so unpleasant that I really can't recommend the shop to anyone.

5  Thank emily w