“Booked 2 times- no repsonse to call or emails over 2 months-got refund”
Review of Newport Gourmet Tours - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Newport Gourmet Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Two-hour culinary walking tours featuring behind-the-scenes access to the best chefs and kitchens in the city. Tours are led by a professional chef, who will give you a unique perspective on the culinary industry and guide you through a half-dozen top restaurants and gourmet shops where you'll sample food and drink made just for you!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I purchased my Groupon on APRIL 1, 2013. I was very excited as I love this kind of thing. Coming from South Florida where there are so many events like this I was thrilled to take my boyfriend and go.

After buying the groupon, I followed the instructions and went on line and picked my Saturday in June based on availability. I then emailed per the instructions and waited to hear back. After a while I sent an email asking if they had lost my email or maybe it was in their spam- could they check as I wanted a confirmation.
No response.
After a week I called and left that same message only adding that the weekend was only 2 weeks away.

Again, no response.
I went again to the website where now it stated that they were sorry but they were overwhelmed with groupons, but don't worry, just book your date and wait for the email. I called again and left a message saying I had booked it, never gotten a confirmation. I really want to go - what do I need to do?

No response.

The date I picked on Saturday arrived - PER THE WEBSITE INSTRUCTIONS _ DO NOT SHOW UP IF NOT CONFIRMED. I looked at the calendar on line and they were all booked.

So I picked another date- August 18. I sent an email saying I never heard back the first time, but had booked the date on August 18 - please send a confirmation.

No response.

I called and left another message that I was upset there had been no response, the original date I picked was gone, now I still hadn't gotten a confirmation from them- what was going on? Was someone sick? Was there a problem? What type of company doesn't respond at all ? Very poor customer service but I still wanted to go and if there is a problem, please let me know via phone or email.

No response.

I bought this on April 1 - it's now July 18 or so and never a response to numerous emails and phone calls with specific messages left.

Finally I called groupon and told them my story. He called the business (they answered for him somehow) and told me he explained my situation and they would be contacting me in the next 3-4 business days. I waited 5 business days.

No response.

Finally i emailed groupon to please refund my money as they obviously had enough people going and did not find it necessary to respond to me. So they refunded the money.

I am very disappointed. The stupid part is I would have paid full price if I had found out about it before the groupon, and I would have done at least one of the other ones as I have friends and family visiting all the time and we love Newport.

I love that you can find out about great things like this from these deals, but I hate when a company puts themselves out there and it is a big hit and they sell lots, that they lose their customer service skills and don't seem to care once you've bought the ticket.

I just read the other Yelp reviews and saw a response from the owner to someone that had cancelled based on reviews I hope he reads mine and looks my name up. I won't recommend this company.

1  Thank sassyboos

Reviewed July 21, 2013

HI< about a yr ago this same trouble happened when trying to book-finally I have done the fabulous providence tour not once but twice. I booked newport for last thursday, 10 days now, and it was cancelled just hours before the tour due to bad weather. Many phone calls and e-mails have gone unanswered. Michael please answer me.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have never had the displeasure of working with such a poorly run company. Initially, I was quite excited about this tour when I bought a groupon more than a year ago (April 20, 2012 to be exact). I tried to book a place on the tour multiple times last summer and fall, and was unable, but I understood that the tours were booking fast. When Groupon informed me in March 2013 that the company decided to extend the expiration date, I followed the instructions and sent an email with the date and time I wanted to book (July 13 @ 2pm), as well as a contact phone number. I NEVER heard from the company and incorrectly presumed I was booked. Because I live over an hour away from Newport, I called and sent two emails earlier in the week asking if I was booked on the tour. Again, I had NO response from the company. I cancelled my plans because they have already wasted enough of my time.

2  Thank donna b
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Do not buy a Groupon. This guy who does the tour is not responsible when you try to set up the tour date. He cancelled the first tour we had booked due to construction in Newport. The second date I was able to get had horrendous rain and now I have been trying for 3 weeks to get an answer for a third date and he is unresponsive. Today I called Groupon and received a refund. Too bad because I am a foodie and really wanted to go. Buyer beware is all I can say.

3  Thank sylviafly
See more reviews
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I'm confused. I recently attended the Providence Riverwalk Tour and could not have had a better time. From beginning to end it was perfect. When I see the reviews on here it is striking that everyone who seems to be complaining is a person who bought a half-off "Groupon". I paid full price and after taking the tour would've paid double. Customer service? I--being typically absentminded--forgot quarters for the meter even though the owner advised us we would need them. When I informed him I needed quarters he ran to his car and brought us back 10 quarters. When I handed him cash, he refused it. "We've got it!" he said. The tour began at XO Cafe with halibut and wine and ended at the Dorrance--the most beautiful restaurant we've ever been in--with strawberries picked that day and a Whiskey Sour. Don't forget the sushi and the crepe making class. It was a perfect afternoon. I wonder where the real problem lies in these reviews. Is it a problem with this company or some folks who complain in general? I would find it hard to believe that these folks drop the ball. The only word I could use to describe it is "professional". I wholeheartedly recommend this tour!

1  Thank Olive B