“repeat customer”
Review of Diego's

Diego's
Reserve with OpenTable
Diego's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Diegos is a casual Mexican Restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. Open year round for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Family owned restaurant that sits on Bowens Wharf next to shopping and hotels. Reservations and walk ins always welcome!
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Second time that we have dined at this restaurant, and really have enjoyed the food. The food has been tastey with excellent flavors, The ceviche of the day was tuna and was a very generous portion. Some how I ended up with the Barbacoa burrito again, (huge enough for left overs the next day). Staff has been alway very professional and helpful. Looking forward to next trip to Newport

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Diego's serves a great twist on the typical mexican food. Their nachos are delicious, and they have great nightly specials such as taco & nacho nights!

1  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Tucked away on Bannister's Wharf, Diego's Newport is by far one of the better choices for Mexican food in our great city by the sea. Among the many options here in Newport, I always choose to frequent Diego's because of their handsome Block Island crew of Char and Chris, and formerly Morgan. I would father all of their children, if I could, that is, if their children didn't already have fathers. Anyway, the service from these select individuals has always been spectacular. Other fantastic staff members include Kelvin, Ocampo, Chelsea and Shannon. Having frequented Diego's so much in the past, even before they had their wonderful Saran Wrap outdoor seating area, I have been choosing the establishment for dining more often lately having taken kindly to a vegan.
Diego's is one of ONLY TWO decent vegan restaurants, and deserves to have five stars just for that. HOWEVER, I have noticed a decline in service in my now more frequent attendance to this "restaurante". I will begin to divulge this information starting now; this evening, in vacillating between the only two vegan choices in town, we decided upon Diego's. Someone had a craving for vegan cheese. I don't like to brag, but I've been in the restaurant, excuse me, service industry for over ten years, and as a result, when I dine, the servers are more often than not, in my mind, on some sort of Gordon Ramsey and Simon Cowell talent show slash restaurant contest and are judged from the inception of the dining experience. It was clear when we sat down that our server was as green as a Granny Smith. That's fine. I had already eaten dinner, but decided to come out for the evening regardless, and as such my plan was to just get a salad and a dessert. My date got a quesadilla. She ate that thing down fast. Real fast. Reminded me of the time I saw a sea gull try to swallow a whole hot dog. I ordered a salad and a side of chips and salsa, though I did not make clear that I wanted the chips and salsa AS SOON AS POSSIBLE as I can't bear to sit in a restaurant without some sort food in front of me. As a result I didn't get the chips and salsa until the quesadilla had been cooked AND the salad had been prepared. At that point, I did not want the chips and salsa, and had them put in something to go. Dating a vegan, and began very eco-conscious myself, I often hate taking things to go, because you inevitably get a huge Styrofoam container within a useless plastic bag, not very environment friendly. It was nice to see that the to-go bags are 100% degradable, but what's the point of bagging something with a degradable bag if you're also going to put it in a paper? Makes no sense to me. But again, still, not that big of a deal, I had a beer and was relaxed, had finished said beer and just wanted some banana empanadas. THIS DESSERT IS AWESOME. It was basically the reason I came out. For a salad, and for this dessert. TRUST ME. If you're at Diego's, and want dessert. THIS IS THE DESSERT FOR YOU. However, don't try to order that dessert after ten o'clock! Even if you sat at 9:30! The kitchen is NOT OPEN for you! Or maybe it is? And our waitress had decided not tell us? In an effort to prevent the restaurant from making six less dollars and her tips one dollar and twenty cents less? I'm not sure. But I've never been in a restaurant where you start having dinner and then the kitchen just gives up on its customers and bails out of the building. Like I said, I've worked in restaurants for years. It takes HOURS for a frialator to cool down, and I ordered dessert at 10:10. All it takes to serve the dessert I wanted was to fry two empanadas and put some ice cream on a plate, but that apparently was way too complicated for the kitchen ten minutes after closing. Again, I wouldn't be as perturbed if I hadn't come out to specifically have this dessert, or if the waitress had simply said "Excuse me, good sir, but our kitchen doth close at the hour Ten and henceforth, twas curious if the kind couple may prefer a bit of dessert?" Simple as that. The result is me, sitting here at 11 o'clock at night furiously typing on TripAdvisor instead of rubbing my belly after eating a delicious dessert at Diego's. Please, Diego's, tell your customers when the kitchen is closing so that we may buy your desserts. Do not withhold your desserts from us! We deserve dessert!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

My friends and I visited this place right around New Years. While the rest of the area was pretty dead, we went to Diego's to have a drink before heading back to our hotel. The staff was amazing. Very friendly and it was obvious that they love what they do. The cocktails are also quite impressive. They make mostly craft cocktails, with a myriad of fresh ingredients making the taste of the drinks so much better than the norm. I can't comment on the food because we didn't eat there, but 2 of our friends had lunch there the next day and said it was pretty good. I could see why some people would not care for the "ambiance" so to speak, but I really liked the down home feel. However, if you do go there in the winter, make sure you have a lighter shirt or jacket when you go in there, because it can get really hot. Other than that, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Diego's and we plan to go back there this summer.

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate at Diego's during a recent trip to Newport. We tried their "crack fries" appetizer and were not disappointed. Our meals were phenomenal as the blending of favors was unique and delicious. I did use the Ladie's Room and was a little surprised to find find that it is outside the restaurant. But really, the food was great so who cares?