“We liked the place so much, we went back multiple times on our trip”
Review of Diego's

Diego's
Reserve with OpenTable
Diego's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Diegos is a casual Mexican Restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating. Open year round for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Family owned restaurant that sits on Bowens Wharf next to shopping and hotels. Reservations and walk ins always welcome!
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My friends and I visited this place right around New Years. While the rest of the area was pretty dead, we went to Diego's to have a drink before heading back to our hotel. The staff was amazing. Very friendly and it was obvious that they love what they do. The cocktails are also quite impressive. They make mostly craft cocktails, with a myriad of fresh ingredients making the taste of the drinks so much better than the norm. I can't comment on the food because we didn't eat there, but 2 of our friends had lunch there the next day and said it was pretty good. I could see why some people would not care for the "ambiance" so to speak, but I really liked the down home feel. However, if you do go there in the winter, make sure you have a lighter shirt or jacket when you go in there, because it can get really hot. Other than that, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Diego's and we plan to go back there this summer.

There are newer reviews for Diego's

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate at Diego's during a recent trip to Newport. We tried their "crack fries" appetizer and were not disappointed. Our meals were phenomenal as the blending of favors was unique and delicious. I did use the Ladie's Room and was a little surprised to find find that it is outside the restaurant. But really, the food was great so who cares?

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Loved our meal here. Brought 3 kids & everyone was happy! The food was fresh & we loved the menu. Our service was excellent. Can't wait to go back this summer!

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Diego's was a convenient choice to our hotel while in town to see the Mansions during the holidays. While the atmosphere is intimate (heaters and blankets are provided to keep you warm as the dining is surrounded by plexi-plastic - too cool for outside seating)...the service was friendly and not chaotic. We did enjoy being at Deigo's for the Margaritas and lively environment, but the food was fair - and we could see it had great promise. The blood orange margarita was unique for flavor. The loaded chicken nachos - while really tasty were not very loaded with chicken or much else. The loaded burrito was good and tasty - but a bit bland for Mexican...and the Mahi Mahi fish taco tasted like the fish arrived two weeks prior - it was very fishy - but the ingredients that accompanied it (the tangy salsa and vegetables inside) were well spiced. We asked for a warm table...and wound up being seated by a main door - that was constantly in use - so the heater was helpful, but we kept catching a draft because the restaurant is tiny. I think the person who wrote "What's All the Hype" was correct...the restaurant has the potential to be great - but really missed the mark the night we dined there. I would recommend this place for drinks only - and we are not big drinkers...so we wished the food would have lived up as well. Food was not fresh and was lacking.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We visited Diego's on the recommendation of the tourist information stand. We were looking for something quick and easy, nothing formal. As others have mentioned, this restaurant does have the feeling of a taco stand with an enclosed patio. I'd expect it would be more at home on the beach. The patio area is tight seating and uneven stone floors. The table water had a bad taste so we ordered bottled water - six dollars! The meals were made with fresh ingredients and a great deal on the taco specials. Although $12 for nachos was overpriced for the amount we received. I guess it's Newport and we should expect the higher prices, but if we're going to pay that amount at least have a bathroom available where you don't need a key and have to walk outside to get to it.

Been to Diego's? Share your experiences!