“A terrific place for foodies in Newport.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tallulah on Thames

Tallulah on Thames
Ranked #43 of 232 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Description: This is a new restaurant. Farm to Table movement. Chef owned.
Jamestown, Rhode Island
“A terrific place for foodies in Newport.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

Tallulah on Thames has become our favorite Newport restaurant. Jake Rojas (chef) and Kelly Ann (co-owner and manager) have developed a fabulous tradition of inventive food pairings and preparation, courteous, pleaasant and helpful staff, and a reliance on local farmers and growers to provide the finest quality and freshest ingredients. The menu changes frequently in accordance with the availability of seafood, local meats and local vegetables. The ambience is home-like. The selections are not inexpensive, but well worth the price. You'll need to make reservations in advance, but you won't be disappointed.

• Visited April 2014

Latham, NY
“Make it a date night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

My husband and I went here to celebrate my birthday. Plan on spending about 3 hours on 4 courses. Each dish was amazing and unique and the presentations were sensational food for eyes, and stomach. You will be offered a palate cleanser during the course of your meal as well. its is $68 pp for a 4 course dinner, the portions are reasonable, they may look small but I promise you will not walk away hungry. For 2-4 course meals, and Voss sparking water. (Trust me get the sparkling water the tap taste metallic, most likely due to the metal pitchers they keep the water in, they should switch to glass it would go better with the atmosphere as well.) our total bill before tip with one glass of wine came to $169 and well worth it!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank wormer82
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Service and sustenance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Had a wonderfully prepared, presented and delicious dinner here several weeks ago. Despite the dismal night outside, the warm and welcoming atmosphere of the staff lifted our spirits immediately.
The food that evening was a set menu so my dining companion and I ordered different items so we could try a variety. Everything was delicious, small portions, but I prefer that. Even the butter was elegantly presented!

• Visited March 2014
“NOT a good dining experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Booked this restaurant for a weekend getaway based solely on the good reviews. That was a mistake. Chose from the 'restaurant week' menu. To make a long story short, here are the lowlights: -Inedible appetizer consisting of burnt cauliflower; -main course of chicken that looked only half cooked and wouldn't have fed a cat; -1 hour's wait between appetizer and main course; -Not a single apology from the waitress or manager. We arrived at 6.45, at 8.15 we couldn't take waiting any longer so I asked for the check-the dessert arrived 1 minute later. I then asked for the manager. She listened to our complaint but it seemed like giving us the food 'on the house' made up for everything. No apologies. Bad attitudes all around, a sense of entitlement from the restaurant all wrapped up in very poor food with a premium price. Never going back.

4 Thank HollistonRes
NJ
“Fantastic dining experience in Newport”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

On our most recent trip to Newport, my boyfriend and I selected Tallulah on Thames from among the town's excellent dining options for a special dinner out and I am so glad we did! As we were traveling in March, we were able to get reservations for a Saturday night and could walk from our Inn, which was great. We arrived and were seated in the window which was lovely. The restaurant itself is romantic and beautiful and has a lovely open kitchen to view all of the culinary magic. Our server could not have been most fantastic--knowledgeable, attentive, and friendly. We were interested in doing the tasting menu paired with wine and she was gracious enough to go over each dish with us before we made our choice to do the 3 course with wine pairing. She also mentioned that the cheese plate, offered under desserts, could be prepared as an appetizer....she must have known us because it was the perfect start! The wine list was extensive, but we were hoping for a nice moscato to have with the cheese and upon mentioning it to our server, she asked us to wait while she went and looked--she returned with a fantastic bottle (not listed on the menu) which we loved from a winery in Oregon. We paired the moscato with the cheese plate which was perfect. The cheese plate offered 3 types of cheese, each with a sweet pairing like a jam, apples, etc. All were delicious. The bread was also wonderful and served with butter that had herbs which was a fantastic experience I had not previously experienced when dining. The menu is ever changing but we really enjoyed all of the courses, my boyfriend especially loved the pork belly appetizer. The coconut dessert was wonderful and came out with dry ice so that it was a visual experience as well as great on the palate. Having the chef pair the dishes with wine was exciting and interesting as the selections went outside my usual wine comfort zone but worked perfectly. It was a wonderful experience. I can't say enough how wonderful all of the service was as it enhanced the meal to have such a great server and staff. Tallulah is small--if you go in season you should plan ahead, but it was half empty the night we were there so it really added to the experience. It is also expensive, but it's worth it as this is not an everyday dinner and I thought worth every penny! Also, remember this is a dining experience--it took about 2 hours and we were sad to leave when the time came! As others have mentioned, the atmosphere is greatly enhanced by a fabulous soundtrack, we just loved every song that came on. Dinner completed with delicious truffles compliments of the chef which were divine. Overall, highly recommend this wonderful dining experience, you will not be disappointed and I hope to get back to Tallulah again in the future!

• Visited March 2014