“Service and sustenance”

Tallulah on Thames
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: This is a new restaurant. Farm to Table movement. Chef owned.
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Had a wonderfully prepared, presented and delicious dinner here several weeks ago. Despite the dismal night outside, the warm and welcoming atmosphere of the staff lifted our spirits immediately.
The food that evening was a set menu so my dining companion and I ordered different items so we could try a variety. Everything was delicious, small portions, but I prefer that. Even the butter was elegantly presented!

There are newer reviews for Tallulah on Thames

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Booked this restaurant for a weekend getaway based solely on the good reviews. That was a mistake. Chose from the 'restaurant week' menu. To make a long story short, here are the lowlights: -Inedible appetizer consisting of burnt cauliflower; -main course of chicken that looked only half cooked and wouldn't have fed a cat; -1 hour's wait between appetizer and main course; -Not a single apology from the waitress or manager. We arrived at 6.45, at 8.15 we couldn't take waiting any longer so I asked for the check-the dessert arrived 1 minute later. I then asked for the manager. She listened to our complaint but it seemed like giving us the food 'on the house' made up for everything. No apologies. Bad attitudes all around, a sense of entitlement from the restaurant all wrapped up in very poor food with a premium price. Never going back.

4  Thank HollistonRes
Reviewed March 17, 2014

On our most recent trip to Newport, my boyfriend and I selected Tallulah on Thames from among the town's excellent dining options for a special dinner out and I am so glad we did! As we were traveling in March, we were able to get reservations for a Saturday night and could walk from our Inn, which was great. We arrived and were seated in the window which was lovely. The restaurant itself is romantic and beautiful and has a lovely open kitchen to view all of the culinary magic. Our server could not have been most fantastic--knowledgeable, attentive, and friendly. We were interested in doing the tasting menu paired with wine and she was gracious enough to go over each dish with us before we made our choice to do the 3 course with wine pairing. She also mentioned that the cheese plate, offered under desserts, could be prepared as an appetizer....she must have known us because it was the perfect start! The wine list was extensive, but we were hoping for a nice moscato to have with the cheese and upon mentioning it to our server, she asked us to wait while she went and looked--she returned with a fantastic bottle (not listed on the menu) which we loved from a winery in Oregon. We paired the moscato with the cheese plate which was perfect. The cheese plate offered 3 types of cheese, each with a sweet pairing like a jam, apples, etc. All were delicious. The bread was also wonderful and served with butter that had herbs which was a fantastic experience I had not previously experienced when dining. The menu is ever changing but we really enjoyed all of the courses, my boyfriend especially loved the pork belly appetizer. The coconut dessert was wonderful and came out with dry ice so that it was a visual experience as well as great on the palate. Having the chef pair the dishes with wine was exciting and interesting as the selections went outside my usual wine comfort zone but worked perfectly. It was a wonderful experience. I can't say enough how wonderful all of the service was as it enhanced the meal to have such a great server and staff. Tallulah is small--if you go in season you should plan ahead, but it was half empty the night we were there so it really added to the experience. It is also expensive, but it's worth it as this is not an everyday dinner and I thought worth every penny! Also, remember this is a dining experience--it took about 2 hours and we were sad to leave when the time came! As others have mentioned, the atmosphere is greatly enhanced by a fabulous soundtrack, we just loved every song that came on. Dinner completed with delicious truffles compliments of the chef which were divine. Overall, highly recommend this wonderful dining experience, you will not be disappointed and I hope to get back to Tallulah again in the future!

1  Thank ResortMeg
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The 7-course chef's tasting at Tallulah is an experience you must have if you consider yourself a serious fan of fine dining. Chef Jake Rojas has created a series of incredible dishes, perfectly matched with wines, that just blew us away. Noodles made from scallops...foie gras...monkfish...octopus...all beautifully presented. Service was knowledgeable and attentive without being annoying. Timing of courses gave you a chance to savor what you just enjoyed, without feeling like you're being rushed out of the restaurant.
Try to go off-sdeason, because this is not a huge restaurant and it will be full in summertime.
Easily the best dining experience we've had in Newport. And only Persimmon in Bristol, RI compares to it statewide.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

A beautiful, all white decor, crystal chandelier, open-kitchen, 11 table spot. I could stop there, but there's more. What a complete dining experience! There are 3 dining choices for the evening…we did the 3 course selection and ordered wine by the glass.
When the butter arrives on your table flanked in 3 different kinds of fresh herb sprigs, you know you're in for a treat! Each course thereafter is a mini event for the senses. Every single selection is complex in presentation and flavor, yet, surprisingly, the atmosphere, service and even the head chef himself, are the complete opposite of pretentious. I would get into detail about our plates, but the menu is ever-changing according to what is in season and local. All I can say is take time to look at everything, smell everything, and taste EVERYTHING because it is worth it. The timing between courses was spot-on, and the wait ensemble was friendly, helpful, and welcoming. A special treat was the open kitchen and being able to watch as masterpieces were created. The atmosphere was quaint and romantic with a (what I thought was) a killer soundtrack mix of the likes of Ella, Norah, Adele, Frank, Louis, etc…
The chef came out of the kitchen to speak with some patrons at length…I had the opportunity to thank him and he was very humble and soft-spoken…a genius!
It was our "special" night out. Perfect!
They offer a Sunday supper 3 course for $35, and I believe there are other specialty events seasonally available…
Try to take advantage of Tallulah!