“Perfect Anniversary Dinner”

Tallulah on Thames
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: This is a new restaurant. Farm to Table movement. Chef owned.
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We chose Tallulah on Thames for our 5-year anniversary dinner and it was the perfect choice.

I was slightly annoyed when we were seated because I had called a month in advance and asked for a nice table for our anniversary and we were seated right next the kitchen but any annoyance I had faded immediately when our server came to the table. Sweet, funny and highly knowledgable, she only added to our experience. She was there when we needed her but never hovered.

I chose the 3-course tasting menu for $60 and my husband ordered a la carte. Each course that came out was beautifully presented, spaced out and seasoned to perfection. The tomato bisque with lobster grilled cheese was pure deliciousness and the mussels with chorizo were incredibly tender. For entrées we had the hangar steak and the carrot agnolotti and neither of us wanted to share because they were so perfectly done. I saved room for dessert and was not disappointed with the peach-tarragon tarte in puff pastry. Every bite was better than the next.

My ONLY complaint (besides the table situation) is the fact that there is a very limited selection of wine by the glass. The wine by the bottle list is extensive but as I was the only one having wine that evening I was just looking for a single glass. And this small thing still doesn't warrant a star off the rating.

You can tell that Tallulah is a labor of love as each little detail from the menu to the coffee creamer to the cigar boxes is exceptionally well thought out. Two days later we are still reminiscing about our meal and look forward to returning.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The food was outstanding but it took WAY too long to get it to the table (85 minutes for the entrees, 30 for the appetizers). The restaurant was not busy, about 60% full on a Friday night. I still recommend it but be aware you need to come prepared for table conversation!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Went here for our anniversary dinner this year, the food was spectacular and the service was great. I liked the mussels app and lobster entree, my wife liked the hangar steak. This is cuisine not food, it is delicious, special, smaller in portion, and fairly expensive. The fixed price $60 three course worked out well for each of us. We will definitely go back. Nits: We arrived 15 minutes early and were told they only seat "on time" so we killed 15 minutes window shopping. When we came back there were plenty of empty seats in the restaurant. This experience was seen by other reviewers. They seated us in line with the draft from the front door which blows steadily when it is open. Bring a jacket or ask to be moved.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We did the three course menu with wine pairing. Excellent service, presentation and amazing food. We really loved the locally sourced food. We left fat and happy.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Got off to a truly bad start - we were 10 mins early for our reservation and were asked to wait outside in a cold wind for those 10 minutes. We nearly gave up
We were finally allowed in and there were 7 empty tables, so heaven knows why they did this.
Fortunately the food was exceptional, both in flavour and presentation. BUT they should do something about the outside waiting- that is the only reason why I have not marked it as five stars