All reviews elms mansion breakfast room third floor biscotti the cliff my husband and i victoria room late arrival delicious breakfast within walking distance great weekend great cook made to order breakfast front porch off street parking a wonderful stay night stay
Selected filters
Reviewed July 10, 2016

First thing you'll notice about the Artful Lodger is LOCATION, LOCATION! You are literally in the backyard to the Elm's. Amazing location to visit Bellevue Avenue to tour the mansions. The Inn is located in a residential area, houses are very close to each other in proximity. The Inn has its own parking which is a bonus. They have a small yard also with nice gardens and a water fountain. When we first parked our car and went to check in, no one was there. So, we called the phone number that is located above the doorbell. It was 2pm and our check-in time on our reservation said 2pm, but when my husband spoke to the inn keeper he seemed a bit surprised we were there. The co-Inn keeper was planning on being there for 3pm. Hmm, a bit of confusion but we finally cleared up this issue later in our visit. We found out that check-In is at 3pm. Our paper said 2pm. This wasn't the first time that this has happened. They were happy to hear that was why this was happening to them and they would be updating their website. No big issue, we were instructed to our room with a key and we were soon all unpacked and ready to venture out again. The Inn itself is very quaint. Lots of stairs, small and twisting. Our room was "The Haversham" suite. It has a King Size Bed, Gas Fireplace, Corner Jacuzzi (in living room), bathroom w/shower. Really nice, well lit room. One thing I noticed was the following: No extra towels (2 sets would be nice) and no robes. There was no book or paper telling you what the house offers, etc. There was a TV Channel guide with the time for breakfast and the wireless password. Great. After we settled our stuff, we headed off again. We didn't return until about 6pm. Guess what? Still no one here! Now is this a big issue, not really. You have a key and a room, so what's the issue? They have a table in their living room with various books/coupons etc. for the area. Had music playing. I've been to many Inns/BNBs and what this lacks is this; You do not feel like they are going the extra mile for you. Like those little niceties such as coffee, tea and cookies. The Kitchen is there, but not anything to be had. The Inn Keepers don't have to be present, but I do feel that most want you to be there but non-intrusive. If the Inn keepers were present, the guests would feel a sense of security. We used the Jacuzzi, excellent tub and they provided soaps, etc. Shower was great also. Bed - That bed was awesome! Felt like a cloud hugging you all night. Sheets were so soft & luxurious. Loved that our room could be dark for sleeping. My husband and I like it pitch black and that is hard to accomplish sometimes. Breakfast...hmm, where was the room located? We had seen photos when we booked, so we finally figured out it must be the top floor (see a "how-to" book in the room would alleviate that issue). My husband likes his coffee 1st thing and they had nothing set up where we originally thought it would be, but he went upstairs and he met up with the housekeeper who was moonlighting as the cook. Don't let the term "moonlighting" fool you...she was an awesome cook! He brought the coffee back to our rooms. Funny, no cream....just skim. Mistake. All options should be offered. Now, the coffee, for a person who drinks it LIGHT was really surprisingly good. We headed up after getting dressed for our breakfast. We both expect a great full breakfast when it is stated so. We were NOT disappointed! The girl, normally the housekeeper was doing all the cooking. The cook was recuperating at home with an illness. We had a really great breakfast! Two eggs with a cheese sauce set on top of English muffins, sausage, banana & blueberries covered with yogurt. It was great! The room you eat in has a gorgeous view of the harbor. We finally met the co-innkeeper and she was very friendly. The parking lot was packed with cars...we were shocked at how quiet the entire house was and we had no idea all those people were staying there. Another couple was finishing up their breakfast as we entered the room and then later on another couple appeared. Friendly staff and easy to chat with. Our stay was really nice, a few issues but nothing that would stop us from staying here again.

Date of stay: July 2016
Reviewed July 7, 2016

Upon arrival we had to wait for almost half an hour for the inn keeper to actually let us in, which bearing in mind check in was after two p.m. and we were there around four after a 200 mile drive and so well within the set time, not impressed. Whilst waiting on the front porch we could not fail to notice how dirty it was, obviously had not been cleaned for some time. The inn keeper, when we finally tracked her down, did not seem to know what was gong on and was flustered, she showed us to our room and also where we could make coffee etc., told us her brother was really the inn keeper but had been ill so she was doing the job along two other jobs of her own. I would rather have been notified of this before I arrived so that I could have made the decision, if necessary, to book elsewhere, however as I had already paid one night 247 dollars inc tax for one of the smaller rooms, we got on with it. The room was clean and tidy, as was the bathroom, so all good we thought. Breakfast next day was ok, out all day and back exhausted, went to make coffee, no coffee or milk, went to find keeper who did make us a pot of coffee but that is only ok if she is around? She did not replenish the coffee or milk for the remainder of our stay so at no point could we make ourselves a drink. As for a good nights sleep? No chance, next door were partying on their deck from 1 a.m. to after 4 a.m., unbelievably noisy, enquired about this and was told that next door rent their house to college students, as do lots of the other houses around the area, which accounted for the slightly unkempt look of the gardens etc. Upon looking at some other reviews it would appear that this noise is not uncommon. Went to pay the bill for the second night, the amount on the inn keepers screen was different to what we had agreed upon, the stand in keeper did not know what was going on and told me that her brother would just take the money off my credit card but she did not know what it would be, trust him, it will be fine. This is a person I have never had dealings with, I booked with Lisa and Randy who I expected to be staying with and this guys name was Phil and he wasn't even there, it was his sister who was very pleasant but had no idea. All in all we were VERY disappointed, we had looked forward to staying at this place, it was far more expensive than anywhere else we stayed, from Boston to Vermont, in all 6 different places all of which were fantastic, from hotels to b and b's to motels, and this, other than the location being handy, was a big let down!!

Room tip: Difficult breakfast for anyone who cannot climb up four flights of very narrow, steep stairs, not a problem for us but may be for others.
1  Thank Freyamay
motorhads, General Manager at Artful Lodger Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2018

I was in the hospital with a surgery that kept me out for 6 weeks. Sorry I missed you. Please come back sometime and I would love to show you what I have done with this wonderful Inn!

Phil

Reviewed July 6, 2016

The bed was comfy, the breakfasts were delicious, the staff friendly and accommodating. It was walking distance to both town and Mansions. It met all my criteria for a great BNB. I couldn't have been happier.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank LJB906
Reviewed July 1, 2016

Our room on the 2nd floor had a kingsize bed with a private porch and bathroom. The sink is in the bedroom against the window and floor air conditioner, and can only be used by squeezing into the chair next to the blowing AC. They don't provide any cups to brush your teeth, so you can go back downstairs and take some plastic ones used for coffee. There were no hangers. They provide only 2 pillows. The linens were dark red and the room is very dark. I did not sleep well as I question the cleanliness. Be aware that you will find 3 different owners depending upon what site you research. The "owner" Phil was not there due to illness and it's being run by his sister and another person who does the cooking which he did. They did not have any maps. They were surprised when we asked for a cup. They seem very disorganized and inexperienced. There was no one there during the day.

Phil

Reviewed June 24, 2016

Pros: Great location to the Elms. We arrived at night and being new to the area, did not realize how close the Elms Mansion is to the inn (directly across the street). We had reserved Servants Tour tickets at the Elms and asked the person who greeted us (she never said her name and we do not know if she was the innkeeper or an employee) for directions. She did not know how to get to the Elms and seemed somewhat confused. We figured it out on our own and the innkeeper had previously emailed us that we could leave our vehicle in the inn's parking lot (but the Elms does have a parking lot if you need to park there).
The room we were in (room B as was described on our reservation, but again, the person who greeted us was confused and realized we were in the room with the attached porch and deck). On the website's photos, the room looks very bright and there is a floor lamp. However, the floor lamp was not there and the room was very difficult to see well in. Ladies: I almost gave up trying to put make up on.
With this room, you do need to go up one flight of stairs and then down the stairs, across the inn to another two flights of stairs to reach the room for breakfast. Please be aware if stairs, and these are narrow stairs, are an issue for you, you may not be able to eat here, even if you are on the first floor. When we arrived at breakfast, we needed to enter through the kitchen to get to the table. We were not greeted by the two staff people there and we seated ourselves. The two workers, or possibly innkeepers, seemed engrossed in conversation and my husband and I were not addressed until we asked for cream for the coffee on the table. We were surprised to learn that there was no cream for coffee, just milk. There was cereal available and we did not realize we would be served a hot breakfast until two plates were put in front of us. French toast may have tasted good, but it was partially burnt and soaked in syrup. The fruit was a nice addition, but it was covered in yogurt, which I would have preferred on the side, as I don't like yogurt. The bacon served was very fatty. The view in the room was nice, but I don't think worth the flights up for what was served.
The garden area outside was nice, but we did not use it. Outside can be noisy at times with sirens and vehicles, but not often. It is a 6 minute walk to a cafe where we had a wonderful lunch.

Room tip: Difficult to find outlets in this old building. Very dark room with streaks across the mirror, so difficult to put make up on.
2  Thank Bob and Patti C