“Best location in Newport!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Bannister's Wharf Guest Rooms
Ranked #64 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Best location in Newport!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The 5 star rating is for the location alone, amazing, right in the centre of everything Newport has to offer. As two couples we stayed in suite 3, half way down the wharf, with two very clean, double bedrooms and a small living space/kitchenette. Nothing too fancy but comfy beds and a good shower, all you need. Only warning - watch your head on the low, characterful stairs and ceilings. The rooms at the end of the wharf looked even better, right on the water, with fantastic views onto the ocean and a great little seating area and coffee shop, need to book early to get these! We walked out from our room onto the hustling wharf which is littered with brilliant busy restaurants, bars, outside patios, coffee shops, fresh fish bars and shopping areas. We thought we were very lucky to get a parking spot in this busy area included with our room for our entire stay, also right on the wharf. The owners were a little hard to find at check in or checkout, but by asking around people in the restaurants and dock office were very helpful and pointed us in the right direction. As young people, pretty relaxed and calm, we did not find this stressful or disorganised of them and appreciated the owners as busy working people and we thought it added to the chilled out nature of the place. If I returned I wouldn't stay anywhere else, fantastic weekend and very affordable compared to surrounding lodgings! Thank you Bannister's Wharf for a fantastic birthday weekend to remember.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mundesley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We stayed in a room overlooking the sea, luxury yachts less than 50 yards from our door, a sun deck where we could sit, read and people watch until the sun went down. Excellent cafes, bars and restaurants with character by the shed-load only a stones throw away, shopping within easy walking distance, car parking, comfy beds and a light airy room - what more can one ask for? I would really recommend a room overlooking the sea as some rooms overlook the wharf towards the town which don't have such a WOW! factor. I really hope to return to Newport and will definitely book a sea-facing room in this fabulous location. We went as a family of four and only stayed for one night (sadly) but would love to stay longer next time.

Room Tip: ALWAYS choose a sea-facing room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank juliejelliebean
Salem, MA
Reviewed November 18, 2010

We recently stayed at Bannister's and found it to be what we expected. The location is great-in the midst of Newport Harbor so it is an easy walk to shopping and dining. The room was spotlessly clean and the entire staff was friendly and accommodating. Pet friendly and a great cafe downstairs for coffee and goodies too. A few things to consider (which did not trouble us) is the parking is tight and on the wharf so don't plan on bringing the huge SUV, it won't fit (you won't need a car anyways), the room we stayed in was a little musty smelling but you are literally on the water so I doubt if there is anything to be done about that (didn't find it offensive and the sunset view from the room was spectacular). We stayed during the quiet time of year, but with all that goes on at the wharf, I would expect the high summer season to be noisy with the bars, shops and boats (this IS a working harbor). We would recommend and return to Bannisters.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DocnWitch
Reviewed October 14, 2010

This place has so much potential. A paint job, new windows, updated furniture and it really wouldn’t be that bad. Look, I loved Newport. It was my visit and I read the reviews about this place, so I knew what I was getting into. That being said, I stayed in Room S1. You have a view looking back along the wharf. Rooms 1- 4 were in the “front” of the hotel and they seem to be pretty awesome b/c they are at the end of the wharf and face the harbor. Outside our room was a small deck with Adirondack chairs, which was nice. Not so nice was the room next to ours that housekeeping uses which has “public” bathrooms. This housekeeping room is left open ALL DAY. And although there are no signs that point to “public bathrooms” that I could find anywhere along the wharf, somehow everyone seemed to know they were there. NOT AWESOME. Ok, now for the best part. This is funny. By definition, a “WHARF” is a landing place or pier where ships may tie up and load or unload. So, This hotel is on a dock. Which I think is very cool. What’s not so cool is that when you open the door to the S1 room and step in there’s about a 3” slope from one side to the other side of the room. This made us feel like we were drunk every time we walked around the room. So we had fun with that when we would get home from the bars.

The location really is ideal. You’re halfway between everything. One day we walked down Thames South, The next day North. And all the restaurants on Bowens and Bannisters Wharf are fabulous. Newport is a really great place. I love that there is so much seating everywhere. Lots of Adirondack chairs and benches. I love the cobblestone roads. And Newport really does a great job of marketing itself with all the events that take place there all year long. We were there for the Oktoberfest festival. And it was really well done. We were smart and bought our tickets early and went in around 1pm. We left around 4pm when it got overcrowded and then back again around 7pm. The performers were great. I would def go back next year. So, if management reads these comments- maybe it’s time to renovate? Hmmmm? It would’ve been nice to open the windows and be able to look out the north side of our room directly down on the Rum-runner and Adirondack sailboat. They went by our room at one point and the little 8” window was a bit tough to really get a nice look out of. The cross breeze would’ve been fantastic if the windows opened in the front of the room. Why don’t you move your housekeeping room elsewhere and utilize that giant waste of space for another guest room? In this economy….during the winter season…..i’m sure you’d get a contractor bargain. Please.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank wakerupper
Bannisters_Wharf, Manager at Bannister's Wharf Guest Rooms, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your feedback. Since May of 2015, we are under new management and have completely remodeled and redecorated our rooms. Take a peek at photographs of our newly done rooms on our website.
Hope you'll give Bannister's another chance - it's the quintessential Newport experience with an unbeatable view.
Very sincerely,
Bannister's Wharf Guestrooms

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Upon arrival we were expecting accomodations on the dock-we knew it would be basic accomodations

---however when we arrived we picked the keys up at the restaurant next door which was extremely busy--no one there knew where the room was--they had them in 2 different buildings on the block. We had no parking spot which we were told we would have one. It was completely chaotic. Finally after asking 3 people one of the shop owners (nothing to do with the guestrooms) told me where they were.

we were on the 3rd floor over a purse/leather store the building was about 200 years old. We went up 3 floors of a narrow winding stair way that had no lights. Very dangerous.

Once we were to the room there was a delapitated door very unsecure.
The room was clean except the air conditioners were filthy.
You had to run them because there were no other windows to open and they also drowned out the noise from the street below.

The room was expensive and a great disappointment.

would never recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Very sincerely,
Bannister's Wharf Guestrooms
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Not having been on the east coast for years, I wanted a memorable visit. I did research on the net and I kept going back to this little hotel. Not getting a response via email from the owner, I called him personally. I asked a few pertinent questions about his hotel and he informed me that it was "the center of the universe". Well, I thought this guy is so "full of it" or he has described a wonderful unique place to stay. I thought, what do I have to lose? Well, he was right. I could not have been more delighted, the location is FABULOUS. I ran down the stairs in the morning for my java at the Coffee Grinder, set on the deck watching the beautiful boats, fireworks, etc. I took a picture of my foot propped up on a baluster with nothing between me and the water. Shopping, restaurants, all sorts of activity was just below me. I cannot say enough about this wonderful gem in the rough. The room is very average but clean and bright, has all you need and the wharf makes up for the lack of extras in the room.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank harleymiss
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We stayed here a week and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We had one of the rooms facing the harbor. The room shared a nice sized deck with a few other rooms and this deck had a great view. The room was an average, smallish, and somewhat dated motel type room with two double beds, but was perfectly comfortable. The TV had satellite reception with many channels (no premium channels however). The wireless internet worked on the deck but not in our particular room. Further, it was a somewhat slow internet service. Parking is provided, but is very tight and a little congested getting to your space.
The really great thing about this place is the location. Besides the great harbor view, it is right in the center of the harbor area with many restaurants and shops just steps away. Bannister's Wharf itself has the famous Black Pearl Restaurant right there, and there are other good restaurants as well.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — smallish room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank fromdelmar