“A bed and breakfast like no other - beautiful, warm, clean, privacey”

La Farge Perry House
Ranked #10 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2010

What a fabulous bed & breakfast. We stayed for Christmas week. Breakfast is no small token... beautiful scones, yummy eggs and fixings! Midge is a fastidious hostess along with Jaxi the shelty! Rooms are spacious, and beautifully appointed. ALL amenities- no trouble getting on line. A home away from home. beds, sheets and quilts are luxurious. We can't wait to go there again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 30, 2009

My three night stay at the La Farge Perry House, was great. We stayed in the Margaret La Farge room, very cozy room on the third floor of the house with a huge bathroom and 2 person Jacuzzi tub. The breakfasts were outstanding. Midge is a former NYC chef and worked as a chef in Newport for many years, so we were in for a real treat with breakfast! And the treats in the afternoon were equally as delicious, she makes excellent coconut chocolate chip macroons. She is such a warm, hospitable innkeeper. Her recommendations for dining out were right on point. There are some great restuarants in Newport. The house was very nice, very clean and welcoming. The house dog Jaxi was a pleasure, so friendly. Everything about this place was great and I look forward to booking another stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We spent a long weekend in Newport (first 2 days we stayed at the Chanler which is the sister hotel to this inn - same owners.), and spent two nights at the La Farge.

We selected the Master Suite, and it certainly is spacious - both the room and bathroom. My husband and I went out for the evening, and when we returned exhausted and ready to climb into bed, we found our sheets were completely filthy. Dried grass, makeup smudges on the pillow and bloodstains. Needless to say, we were horrified. It was late (almost 11 p.m.) and rather than wake up Midge we decided to sleep in the smaller back bedroom. However, we found the sheets on this bed to be dirty as well. ????? How could this be???? We had no choice but to get Midge, and after showing her the sheets she agreed that they were dirty. She said her cleaning crew must have thought the same guests were staying in the room from the previous evening. So at 11:30 p.m. I am helping Midge change sheets. She apologized and kept saying she was having trouble finding good cleaning help. The next morning, we find dead bugs on the windowsill, cobwebs all over a plant and a hairball the size of a mouse!!! When I discreetly showed these to Midge she did not seem to overly concerned, and said, "I thought you were going to tell me something serious." Disappointing to say the least. For the cost of the room, I expect more. My husband I both agreed that we would rather have stayed at the Chanler for entire stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Avidgolfers
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We wrote this letter to the owners after our visit:

My husband and I were so impressed by our stay at the La Farge Perry House that I asked Midge for your address so I could write to compliment you and to suggest a way you might market it to a particular group of guests.

You have a lovely property, and you have a superb innkeeper. You probably know that already, but I can’t help pointing it out. When guests arrive and see plants appropriate to the period and spirit of the house, they are impressed; I know those flourishing plants made a difference to me. When guests are greeted at the door by Midge and Jaxi (obviously the perfect innkeeper’s dog), they relax right away. We did. And then you eat the food, and realize that it isn’t just good, it’s spectacular. I am a serious and particular cook myself, and I am not easy to impress. Two breakfasts with Midge (including perfect Eggs Benedict) really blew me away.

My suggestion is that you advertise the La Farge Perry House as a destination for foodies, for people who pride themselves on being truly discriminating about food. You have a proven top chef as an innkeeper, a person who provides both period surroundings and fabulous breakfasts. Lots of places say they offer a beautiful period home and outstanding food, and one learns to take those claims with a grain of salt. But the La Farge Perry House really delivers. It may be that you could meet a real top-end demand.

Thank you for establishing that lovely inn and for hiring Midge to run it. The whole thing is first-rate all the way. We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HopeVT
Reviewed November 15, 2009

My husband and I have just returned to New York following a week travelling around the islands and key sights of southern New England. We are having two weeks in the states and I really wanted to share our thoughts on this lovely Inn.
We arrived in the afternoon after a drive through Conneticut, and after what seemed a bit Stepford wives, we were delighted to have arrived in Newport and at La Farge Perry which felt homely immediately. Midge and her lovely dog met us and welcomed us in with a big smile and a wagging tail. Midge showed us the house, which is a beautiful turn of the century home. While the front room was really beautiful and the dining room inviting, we both fell in love with the kitchen, the parlour and the little snug with fireplace that was downstairs. We wanted to move in and hadn't even seen our room yet. The room I had booked was being spring cleaned, as we arrived in a quiet period after Halloween and the hieght of fall, but before Thanks Giving. Midge had kindly asked if we would be happy to have the big suite. It was truely stunning. A huge bed, with beautiful soft furnishings, a separate HUGE bathroom, with double ended jacuzzi bath and doulbe shower. There was a fireplace in both the bedroom and the bathroom, but the weather very warm so we didn't use these. We original only planned to stay one night, but having seen and been given a quick guide to Newport by Midge, we quickly decided we should stay two nights. Midge was a celebrated chef in New York, and her delicious coconut cookies are the most delicious morsels ever. We ate far too many. Midge would have a pile of cookies and hot drinks always ready and we could help ourselves to cold drinks from the fridge. Midge's breakfasts were gorgeous. Just looking at the table in the morning was amazing, she made homemade james and jellies, which we enjoyed with her special delicious french toast. But it seemed that you could have pretty much what you liked for breakfast. The breakfast room overlooks the garden and there is an adjoining conservatory. It was getting late when we arrived so it wasn't until the next morning that we saw just how beautiful the house was from the outside too. The perfect New England porch was on the front of the house, which is a magnificent Victorian built in the traditional New England style. We were walking distance from everywhere. And we did a lot of walking, so it was great to have such a comfy and friendly place to come back too. After our first day's trip we tucked ourselves up on the sofa in the snug and enjoyed a hot drink in front of the fireplace and TV. Considering we have both in our room, this gives you a good idea how welcoming Midge is. We loved Newport, and this was our best accomodation and best town in our big tour of Conneticut, Rhode Island and Cape Code/Massecheusetts.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PopsterLondon
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I spent along time before I decided which bed and breakfast I wanted to stay and was very overwhelmed and couldn't decide until I spoke to this wonderful pleasant, kind, and very sweek innkeeper, Midge, very sincere and caring and after a few moments, I knew in my heart this was going to be the place! I surely felt such warmth and welcomed by Midge. The place was so perfect, with wonderful decor/plants, atmosphere, feeling at home and fell in love with her dog too!. Besides the delicious breakfast and wonderful cookies/teas, atmosphere, etc. we felt at home. I will always remember it there and intend to go back again on my next trip back there. I called all my friends from there and told them that they have to come there too.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Want a spectacular room? Try the Master Suite; it's immense and has every detailed amenity imaginable....fresh flowers, plants, silk bed coverings, flat screen TV, two fire places, dressing room, walk-in closet, marble double shower, jacuzzi tub, etc. The flowered grounds of this antique house are equally impressive.

Midge, the super-accommodating inn keeper, will cook an exceptional breakfast for you complete with fresh pastries and juices. The French toast, prepared by this former NY chef, are perfectly scrumptious. As for service, Midge recommends and makes reservations at only the very best local eateries; she should know---she's a restaurant reviewer for the local newspaper.

We thank our friends here in California who recommended the La Farge Perry House. They were right: "You won't find a better place."

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple