“Was ok until they sold my info...”

Newport Bay Club & Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I enjoyed our stay in February of 2013. Room was acceptable (not the quietest but we survived), close to everything. But then I just got a call from a Time Share company trying to get me to go to their presentation on the guise of me "winning something great". I do NOT like having my info sold to outside companies!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa L

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We booked a last minute two-night stay here at a great price. I found the much-maligned manager absolutely lovely and friendly on the phone, and the same in person. On the grand scheme of things, I don't gauge my holiday breaks by the hotel staff so I can't understand why people give it so much weight, whether good or bad...
The location was amazing, right at the port. Our room was a very pleasant surprise - very spacious, well decorated and cool. The shower nearly blew me away it was so powerful. Good bathroom. We were really pleasantly surprised. Free parking too. It is NOT a traditional hotel so it shouldn't be expected to provide the same level of service as a full scale hotel.
The only one small thing was the breakfast - we hadn't realised that there would be nothing left if we didn't get there at 8am sharp. However, if breakfast hadn't been included, that wouldn't have stopped us booking.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rois
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We've stay at the Bay Club many times over the years. The hotel itself is very nice. The customer service is horrible along with there General Manager. I hope the owners take the time to read this. Its seems there's a lot of complaints regarding customer service. The staff appear like your bothering them. The General Manager in particular is rude and definitely not a proper fit for the Newport scene. She should be fired and her staff as well. I shall no longer be staying there after 20 yrs of being a loyal customer. Oh and don't get caught up in there time share scam. When I complained to the GM there about how we were treated she stated and I quote " I would of known better, not the hotels problem". Since it was the hotel that game them my name I think they are.

7  Thank Mike57862
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My son and his girlfriend came to visit New England for the first time so we stayed all over the area. We loved the hotel as it had everything we needed. The two room suite was perfect for us so we weren't right on top of each other. We found the last parking spot in the fenced in area and had 5:00pm dinner outside at the restaurant, loving the 5:00pm boat horns that go off to start the evening fun. The kitchen was so convenient and we stored our own alcohol in the large fridge and had food the next morning. We were able to walk down Thames to the shops and found exactly what we were looking for. We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: We were in the middle of the floor and since we went to the concert next door, we weren't bother...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013

You drive into Newport and see the front of this building with a lovely sign that makes it look great. But staying there with my friends, we found that they were super un-helpful at the front desk - like we were bothering them. Then, the cleaning service wasn't too swift, the room was noisy at night. No room service. Finally, it was Expensive!

There are lots of great hotels at this price range in Newport - check around and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Cynthia752
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The good: This hotel is in the center of Newport and walking distance (1/2 mile or less) to just about everything except the beach and Fort Adams. It was clean and had nice accommodations -- we had a 1 bedroom townhouse w/ microwave, coffee pot, sink, dishwasher and 1.5 baths. It came equipped with dishes and silverware. The staff not as friendly as some places, but certainly professional and responsive, so cheerfulness not much of an issue for fellow New Englanders.

The not-so-good: Had some items not working (bedroom balcony door, fan in lower bath), but the balcony off the living area worked, so upstairs issue not so bad. They were a little cheap with the paper products (had to ask for additional toilet paper) and ran low on kleenex; also no paper towels in kitchen. Had one of the WiFi passwords not work, so had to obtain 1 additional (we had 4 total) -- but again, not a crisis and by no means a reason to not stay there! Also the AC fan was a bit noisy, but at least the AC worked -- and it worked very well.

Overall: I would recommend

Reviewed August 3, 2013

First the good;The building is beautiful on the outside and the location is smack in the center of the happening section of Newport, very close to the water. So far so good. The parking is right behind the building, free, worked fine, and the suite we had was beautiful. Cable TV, flat screen, kitchen, beautiful painting son the walls,tons of historic character with beams and planks beautifully decorated. There aren't any grounds really.
The bad; Staff , (if you could call them that) are friendly enough but you should not expect hotel like customer service. I guess because this is a time share place and not a hotel where guests generally walk in or book over the phone. So there is this listless zombie hotel type effect as if the people working there aren't paid to to talk to you or help you. I don't think its really true but that's the impression you get. And on an expensive vacation- impressions matter. There is a small reception desk manned only during the day, by an unfriendly lady....and not much else --no proper lobby either, its small stores. There is a bar in the basement ( we didn't go) and a coffee shop on the ground floor. The continental breakfast was very sparse. The noise from the bar across the street was pretty noticeable all night. The hallways and elevator are dated ( who chose that brown floor tile?) but overall okay.
If you want a historic building in downtown Newport...this place is beautiful (except for the lobby and hallway) its in the right spot, the room was gorgeous and clean. The customer service really is not there. The feeling of welcoming and cheerful reception -- not there. If you know that ahead of time you should be okay. The room was really nice.

1  Thank hudsonvalleyboy