All reviewsocean cliffsafari roomoverlooking narragansett bayporch overlooking the waterbeautiful wedding venuebed mattressdaughter's weddingevent staffcontinental breakfastbeautiful sunsethotel is beautifulmy husband and ioff seasontimeshareguestslawntoaster
Reviewed June 2, 2016

I stayed at Ocean Cliff Hotel (not the condos nearby) last week (May) for several days. My son's wedding and reception were held at the property. I have to say that the entire experience was so amazing that any minor issues due to the age of the hotel were completely overlooked or forgiven. Many of the wedding party and guests stayed on site and I believe we filled most of the rooms. I was able to walk through all the rooms ahead of time. Each room is unique. Reading some of the negative posts below, I would have to disagree. Yes, some rooms have advantages over others. However, all are beautiful. You just have to choose the style of room that you want based on your needs I.E. workspace, view etc. The third floor does have some smaller rooms that have a separate private bath (historic rooms). However, there is an amazing suite up there with the most beautiful view. I stayed in the carriage house at the entrance of the property. It has four bedrooms and three baths. The staff was very attentive and I heard from many of the guests that the bell hops are very helpful assisting with bags. So, again, I have to disagree with the complaint that there is no elevator and you have to lug your bags up flights of stairs. I have stayed at other historic boutique hotels in Newport and it is the same. I cannot describe how lovely this hotel is and do it justice. Unfortunately, there are no online pictures that truly show how magnificent the property is. I did not see a pool and a Jacuzzi but there were guests who talked about them??? Unless they were staying in the condos next door or had too much champagne, I believe them. If you are the type of person who looks at the glass as half full, you will feel so rewarded to have had the opportunity to stay at OceanCliff. The drive from town is down a lovely back road that passes Fort Adams, an old revolutionary fort and park. If you pass the hotel and merge onto Ocean Road, you will be treated with the most beautiful scenery. If you are considering OceanCliff as a venue for your own wedding, I highly recommend it. Most of our guests were from out of state. I was concerned as to what their opinions of the venue would be. Many were from Florida, the Jersey coast, and California. Four of the bridesmaids were wedding/event planners themselves working in tropical resorts. Everyone was amazed at how gorgeous the wedding was. A big thank you to the OceanCliff staff for a dream come true! I don't want to attach pictures with guests in them but I am adding some pics of the property.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank lmr0630
Kristen W, Public Relations Manager at OceanCliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2016

Dear lmr0630, thank you for choosing to stay with us at OceanCliff and for taking the time to leave us such a wonderful review. We are so happy to hear that your son's wedding was a success. It sounds like you had a lovely visit and it is great to hear that you really enjoyed the uniqueness and historic charm of each of our guest rooms. And yes, the pool is located at the condos next door. It is a little confusing since we share the same name. Overall, it sounds like you had an amazing time which we always love to hear. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed March 29, 2016

A perfect weekend, with family. Swimming, dinner conversation. A perfect way to start the week! Weather was perfect! Busy with Saint Patrick's celebration, wonderful restaurants. Would recommend Brick Alley as well as Malt in Portsmouth

Stayed: March 2016
1  Thank Chris K
Reviewed March 26, 2016

Stayed here recently for one night while attending a conference being held nearby. I was either the only one there or perhaps there was one other guest. It is basically a wedding/banquet setting with perhaps ten rooms alongside another, newer building with condos. The room was quiet, clean and comfortable, but there was no place to work (no table or desk) and I was told that if I was warm or cold to call down to the front desk and they would adjust the heat. (I just opened the window and it was fine.) I would not stay here again unless perhaps I was attending a function downstairs.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled on business
1  Thank DK1960
Reviewed November 11, 2015

I stayed here with my husband and daughter as we were attending a wedding on site this fall. Overall the hotel was very nice and I thought everyone working there was great. The wedding was also a great time. The rooms were a little outdated and my biggest complaint is that beds are extremely loud. This was difficult for us having our one year old in the room sleeping as every time one of us shifted, it was very loud. They have a really nice patio and outside area that I think would be nice during the warmer months. We went outside a bit but not for long given the weather. The hotel was very convenient for our stay at the wedding, but if I was not attending a wedding there, I wouldn't stay again given the price.

Stayed: October 2015, traveled with family
Kristen W, Public Relations Manager at OceanCliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2015

394ericab, thank you for choosing to stay with us at OceanCliff and taking the time to leave us a review. We’d first like to thank you for your kind word s about our team- we’re very lucky to have the individuals that we do! With that being said, we’re sorry to hear that you weren’t thrilled with the rest of your experience. We never enjoy hearing when our guests are less than satisfied and have shared your comments regarding the bed with our management team. Thank you again for providing us with feedback. We do hope that despite this initial visit, you will come back and give us another try.

Reviewed October 17, 2015

Old, tired and lacking in the amenities that a resort charging this much should provide.
The best thing I can say about this place is the setting. But, to get there, one has to drive over many winding country roads. I was there on a foggy Tuesday evening and think I may have been the only guest. I was tired and hungry, but was told there was no restaurant service on Tuesdays.I was not even offered a cup of coffee or tea. I had to call an Italian restaurant in town; the only one I was understood that would deliver. Because of the fog, I was reluctant to retrace all the way back into town in order to eat. My room on the second floor was large enough with a fairly comfortable king size bed but no comfortable chair, just one straight chair at a desk. I had a very partial view of the bay...most of the view was of the wet roof just below the window sill. There was no paper nor pen on the desk nor anywhere in the room; I had to call for ice as there was no ice machine. There was a bottle of drinking water but would have to pay $8 to drink it. There was no tub and just a small shelf in the shower; not enough space to place shampoo and soap. Shelving in the bathroom was totally inadequate to place my personal toiletries and curling iron. When I went to use the coffee maker, it would not brew ( incidentially, there was a charge of $2 per kuerig coffee pod if one wished to have more than the 2 provided.) Breakfast was just continental..no eggs, bacon, sausage etc. which I would have expected paying this rate. Some bagels were provided, but I had to go to the desk and request butter. There were no other amenities evident that even a 2 star motel might provide such as exercise equipment, pool or spa. It was difficult to come down from the 2nd floor with my suitcase; no elevator or bellhop service was offered on my way out. A complete disappointment!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: October 2015, traveled solo
3  Thank Jan K
Kristen W, Guest Relations Manager at OceanCliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2015

Dear Jan K, thank you for choosing to stay at OceanCliff and we are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. As OceanCliff is a historic property, you are correct in noting that we do not have an elevator. However, we do have a bellhop available to assist with luggage and our staff is more than happy to assist with any other needs you may have during your stay. Also, all of our guests are informed that we offer a continental breakfast at the time of booking, but we are sorry that it did not live up to your expectations.
We always want to provide a great value and experience for our customers and are sorry we did not live up to that standard in your case. Our records show that we did upgrade you from a Deluxe Queen to a Deluxe King, free of charge, in hopes that you would have a more pleasant view during your stay.
Again, we truly apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We hope that despite this, you’ll come back and give us another try. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback.