“Wedding at OceanCliff 6/27/09”
Review of OceanCliff Hotel

OceanCliff Hotel
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We had our wedding at OceanCliff in June and it was perfect. The staff went out of their way to make sure everything went smoothly and I have heard nothing but compliments from all of our guests. I even had my own server who was never in the way but always seemed to be right there the moment I need anything, even before I realized I needed it. The food was excellent and the view is incredibly beautiful. I highly recommend OceanCliff for anyone's wedding. All the vendorsthey recommended were just as amazing as well, with one exception. The only negative of the night was our band, Synergy. To say we were dissapointed is an understatement. They didn't play what they were supposed to play, tried to cut our choreographed first dance short (claiming to have forgotten it was choreographed) played Celebration (which was on our do not play list) TWICE. and they were uncomfortably loud, didn't tone it down even though they were asked to repeatedly and took numerous breaks just letting a cd play. And we were supposed to have a saxaphone player but there wasn't one. I would have given OceanCliff the highest rating but because the band was their recommendation it reflects a little on them as well.

• Stayed: June 2009

Reviewed December 19, 2008

I scheduled a tour at Oceancliff as a potential site for my wedding reception. The day before my appointment, I read some of the reviews on this page, including the one about the $9000 rental fee. I was very put-off and disappointed after reading these reviews. However, my fiance and I visited Oceancliff anyway, and discovered they are a very reasonable site and willing to accommodate a range of budgets. The $9000 fee is true, if you want a Saturday night wedding in peak season. There are many other options for much less money. There are also food/ beverage purchase minimums, as many other reception sites require as well. They also tell you up front about the non-refundable deposit and payment schedule, so there are no surprises about canceling your wedding and not getting your money back as one reviewer implied (of course sites need to cover themselves, this is not an uncommon practice). After I crunched some numbers, this site is within range of what you will pay at many other reception sites all over New England, and you're getting ocean views in lively Newport. If anything, this place is a tremendous deal for what you get, especially compared to other Newport venues. I just wanted to post a positive review and encourage any other bride-to-be who is considering this place that it is well worth a look.

Stayed: October 2008
5  Thank stoutbuddy
Reviewed October 22, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this resort for the first time last weekend. We were so glad we didn't stay somewhere in town because this hotel lies on a cliff overlooking the ocean and it was so peaceful and quiet there. Every room has a view of the ocean. We had a suite which had a separate bedroom, a full kitchen with all the amenities for stove-top cooking, fridge, utensils, plates, etc., two bathrooms, two TVs and a living room area with fireplace and only minutes from downtown Newport. I have to mention this... When we got back from Newport, the following day I realized I didn't have my diamond necklace and panicked. I immediately called the hotel and was told that they would look for it. Unbelievably, I got a call back within a half hour letting me know that they found my necklace in the room. They went out of their way to take it to the post office and mail it back to me overnight. I couldn't believe it, the honesty mainly, and the willingness to package it and send it off to me. I was truly grateful for all that the staff did, a rarity for sure!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Onmybreak
Reviewed July 16, 2008

My husband and I celebrated our wedding reception at Oceancliff in March 2008. WOW! What an amazing experience. We can't say enough positive things about Oceancliff and their wonderful staff. From start to finish they made us feel welcome and comfortable during the planning process. The staff is kind, curteous and so friendly. Our wedding party and out of town guests enjoyed the accomodations and all commented on what a beautiful setting the hotel is located on. They also did not disappoint with the food and service during our wedding. They really payed attention to details and treated us and our guests like royalty. We have friends that already want to duplicate our wedding day and book with Oceancliff. It is a special place.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 11, 2008

For the past several years our extended family of four generations have visited this hotel to see and enjoy the band JAVA JIVE !! We spend this entire Monday in the middle of July dancing, singing, eating and drinking while enjoying the ambiance of the Safari outdoor patio, bar and dance floor with the magnificent view of Newport harbor! This year I have tried to contact this hotel and restaurant several times. They have had many excuses for the manager who is never available to come to the phone. I am told that it is rumored that they will have jazz bands there this summer. I am wishing I could contact someone at the hotel to ask if JAVA JIVE will be there? What a dissapointment it will be if they are not ! Hopefully this hotel is not making changes that effect the hiring of this awesome entertainment! Unfortunatly they are not being straight forward and honest about their summer schedule and I question what will happen to their business because of this? We are not going to book here again until we get an answer. They are losing alot of business with our family!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2008

We just got married at Oceancliff, it is so beautiful there. the ceremony outside was breathtaking. the location is so stunning, the service and staff is excellent, and the lobster was amazing. I think that the guests were so impressed by the fabulous venue. Oceancliff keep up the good work.
YOu made our special day so wonderful , i can't thank you enough.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed February 19, 2008

We were extremely pleased by our President's weekend stay in Oceancliff I - the timeshare rentals of the Oceancliff resort. Our one bedroom suite had a nice pullout bed in the living room and was spacious enough for two couples. We had a beautiful view of the water and "Castle on the Hill" was directly in front of us.. Our newly refurbished room had tasteful furniture, a gas fireplace that really put out some heat (and we had cold weather the first night and fog) and a flat screen TV. It had a nice round dining table for four.. and a kitchen area with full refrigerator, cabinets with china and silverware for four... a two burner stove, coffee maker and plenty of cabinet space. There was a huge double closet in the Master bedroom another TV and two full baths (new) one with a nice sit down shower and the other with a jacuzzi tub (for one). It was a great unit. The kitchen was a little dark.. with a flourescent light under the counter and a microwave light, but we managed well enough. New carpeting and a coat closet in the living room just inside the door made the unit - just perfect. We hear it is really booked solid in the summer and we can see why! They are still rennovating other units but we were lucky enough to get a new one. And the view - of the Naragansett Bay (I think) was breathtaking from the large bay window with creamy striped roman shades and a door leading out to a small wooden balcony (with seats and a table for enjoying spring/summer evenings) Lovely decor, great amenities, clean as a whistle.. very nice stay! It is a 10 minute drive from town and very peaceful at this time of year.. there is a indoor pool as well and very nice grounds to walk around.. great place.

Stayed: February 2008