“Oceancliff I - very nice stay in a rennovated suite!”
Review of OceanCliff Hotel

OceanCliff Hotel
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed February 19, 2008

We were extremely pleased by our President's weekend stay in Oceancliff I - the timeshare rentals of the Oceancliff resort. Our one bedroom suite had a nice pullout bed in the living room and was spacious enough for two couples. We had a beautiful view of the water and "Castle on the Hill" was directly in front of us.. Our newly refurbished room had tasteful furniture, a gas fireplace that really put out some heat (and we had cold weather the first night and fog) and a flat screen TV. It had a nice round dining table for four.. and a kitchen area with full refrigerator, cabinets with china and silverware for four... a two burner stove, coffee maker and plenty of cabinet space. There was a huge double closet in the Master bedroom another TV and two full baths (new) one with a nice sit down shower and the other with a jacuzzi tub (for one). It was a great unit. The kitchen was a little dark.. with a flourescent light under the counter and a microwave light, but we managed well enough. New carpeting and a coat closet in the living room just inside the door made the unit - just perfect. We hear it is really booked solid in the summer and we can see why! They are still rennovating other units but we were lucky enough to get a new one. And the view - of the Naragansett Bay (I think) was breathtaking from the large bay window with creamy striped roman shades and a door leading out to a small wooden balcony (with seats and a table for enjoying spring/summer evenings) Lovely decor, great amenities, clean as a whistle.. very nice stay! It is a 10 minute drive from town and very peaceful at this time of year.. there is a indoor pool as well and very nice grounds to walk around.. great place.

Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank SailorII

Reviewed July 30, 2007

I booked my wedding at OceanCliff in January of 2007 for October of 2008. Unfortunately, my fiance and I were forced to relocate due to his job and had to cancel our wedding there due to a four hour drive. OceanCliff REFUSED to refund our deposit of $2500 even with a 15 month notice. Best of all, I was told I could not have the owner's name to contact him/her to request a refund because it was "against company policy". This is a beautiful location for a wedding, but beware of their shoddy business practices!!!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank upsetbride59
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I can't say enough about the OcenCliff. It was a last minute reservation for myself, my wife and our 12 year old son, and we received an upgraded room, without asking, and also a foldout bed, without asking.....so a $275/night room for only $165..

It is basically a castle, and our room was fantastic. the location is only about 10min from downtown, and the same from the mansions. The only issue was they only have wireless in the library....no biggy... We will return here EVERY YEAR..

Do not confuse this with the OceanCliff timeshares....completely seperate....Also, the staff was an amazing asset to OceanCliff Thanks Jennifer!!

Stayed: June 2007
3  Thank Justafitchin
Reviewed March 19, 2007

My husband and I have been returning to the "Oceancliff" in Newport for nearly thirty years. We go as far back with this Inn to when it was called "Shamrock Cliffs." At that time, the main house and gate house were the only buildings on the property, and the pool was operational. We have seen owners and management teams come and go. We hated when they built the time share units; we were spoiled by the way it was without them, but our love for the place has kept us coming back. I have read mixed reviews about the Oceancliff, but I can honestly say that my husband and I have never experienced anything other than a wonderful stay. The rooms are spotless, the views and grounds are beautiful, and although the continental breakfast can be upgraded a bit, we have always enjoyed other meals we have had here, especially lunch outside on the patio. You can't beat the ambiance. (I must mention that we are in the restaurant business, and are very fussy.)
I would like to share with you what occurred on our last visit. This is what makes a great inn:
We last visited in September of 2006. My husband had to go home a day early and my daughter (8) and I stayed for an extra day, just the two of us. We were the only guests in the hotel. It was like the place was ours. Late that afternoon, while in my room, I became seriously ill. I felt I might be in need of an ambulance. My daughter was very scared. I told her to call the front desk for help. The staff arrived immediately. They could not do enough to take care of me and my daughter. Any request I had, they happily obliged. I ended up not needing the ambulance, but was sick for the next few hours. I could not tend to my daughter. I am the type of mom that never lets my daughter out of my sight, and felt I was at the mercy of the hotel staff. They went out of their way to help me and my daughter during that time. One of the female employees gained my trust and took my daughter to the kitchen, made a meal made for her, and kept her company the whole time. I was far away from home, without my husband, horribly ill, and in need of assistance. The staff made all the difference in how the experience turned out. We continue to love the Oceancliff and plan to return regularly for the next thirty years!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank MrsNJ
Reviewed October 25, 2006

We traded ino this resort through our timeshare program. Compared to other timeshare condominiums, this one is resting on it's location alone. Our one bedroom , 2 bath unit was spacious enough and faced the water, however was dingy and dreary in appearance. Carpeting was stained, appliances are old, doors stick. The aged mini blinds provide the only window covering. Paint peeling--overall shabby and depressing feel. We were here18 years ago when it was well kept. Very disappointing to see that it has not retained the previously high standard.

Stayed: October 2006
7  Thank NJHB
Reviewed August 14, 2006

For a family of 4, Oceancliff condo (the time share/rental, not to be confused with hotel/wedding property next door operated by different group) provided vast space (and 2 bathrooms!) for a last minute 4 day stay in Newport at a great price. Two bedroom condo with large balcony was less than the cost of a one bedroom hotel room at Hyatt.

Ground level of our tower unit had a living room with comfy furniture including a sleep sofa, 2 arm chairs, dining table and 4 chairs, kitchenette with mini-fridge, microwave and coffeemaker, so called second bedroom with queen bed (really walk-in closet size; don't know if adults would be happy in it given size, very little drawer space, no closet), bathroom with stall shower, and balcony furnished with table and chairs for 5 where we had breakfast each day while watching boats in the bay. Master bedroom upstairs was large, with plenty of drawer space, and a bathroom with jacuzzi tub. Units are basically clean but not new or lush. Housekeeping must access unit by 11 am each day. Location is right next door to Inn at Castle Hill, easily drivable to mansions, state parks, beach. You will have to drive to all restaurants and to downtown Newport (where parking is available but usually for a fee).

Be aware that you will climb 28 stairs to reach tower units and another long flight to second bedroom. Stairways could use a thorough cleaning, and outside property upkeep is not fabulous. There is a small indoor pool with outside deck seating, tennis courts, volleyball net. Central reservations gave us inaccurate information originally about what features the unit contained; suggest checking directly with property to confirm all information. But - if you know limitations of this property, you are getting a lot for the money in an otherwise pricey resort area!

7  Thank soresident
Reviewed June 10, 2006

We just got back from our two week honeymoon after our wedding at Oceancliff. I am pleased to say that our special day was absolutely perfect. The food was exceptional but we entirely expected that after eating at the Safari Room on multiple occasions.

It was the service, however, that exceeded our expectations. Everything was perfect and we could tell that an extraordinary amount of time and care went into planning our wedding. The weather was perfect and we had the service outdoors overlooking Naragansett Bay and Newport Harbor. I can't wait to get our pictures. We went with the hotel's reccommendations for all of our vendors--band (Synergy), florist (Goldengate Studios), photographer (Bristol Workshops) and cake (Sweet Sophistications) and each was excellent and exceeded expectations.

Most of our guests have told us repeatedly that it was the most beautiful and enjoyable wedding they've been to in some time. If you're looking for a perfect place to have an event, Ocean Cliff is it.

Stayed: May 2006