“I feel bad writing a bad review, but I must be honest”
Review of The Clarkeston

and 1 more site!
The Clarkeston
Ranked #40 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“I feel bad writing a bad review, but I must be honest”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Like I said I feel like I have to be honest with those out there looking for a B&B to stay at in beautiful Newport, RI. I choose the Clarkeston based on its affordability and historic charm, only I did not actually get to stay at the Clarkeston....I was put in the house across the street that they use as an "overflow" facility called the Cleveland House. No, I am not kidding. This was after I paid my non-refundable fee before arrival. Now we are pretty easy going people so I accepted it since the staff is so nice and we just went with the flow.........Well, I should have known. The room was a normal size (not big, but not too small) and the bathroom was a nice size but it was not clean and not updated at all. There was hair in the shower, stains on the carpet in the bedroom and the tiles in the bathroom. There were no windows to look out of. All the windows were covered in plastic Dexter style and there are cracks all over the walls. The TV was an old medium sized box TV. There were magazines in the room from years before and a few hangers in the closet. There were no bathroom amenities besides gel and bar soap. The morning breakfast is where it really gets crazy.....the first morning our breakfast was in the "overflow" facility right outside our door where I am sure everyone could hear our conversations and television since the room was literally on top of the dining area. The breakfast was as everyone said cereal, bread and coffee which you can help yourself to and either eggs, pancakes or French toast with a side or bacon or sausage like everyone else has stated. There are no healthy options to choose from so go elsewhere if you care. Ok, so that was morning # 1..........Oh, the maid also forgot to come that day. She came at night while we were out to dinner and already took our second showers of the day before we went out. Morning #2.......breakfast was held across the street at the Clarkeston and was the same story. Morning #3 hold your hats...........we had to take a 5-10 min walk to another facility to get breakfast. Now what on earth would have happened if we were elderly or disabled? I am sure we would have had to decline the breakfast altogether that we already paid for with our hotel stay. This was not acceptable and should have been disclosed before booking. To make matters worse there were people waiting to sit down because the tables were not being bused and one other couple actually had to bus the table themselves. I know we were most likely crazy for not making a complaint, but the staff are so nice that you almost feel bad saying anything, but honestly they should know better. I will take this one for the team ,but would never stay with "The Inns of Newport Group" again.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank amvm99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Great location. Stylish rooms, great breakfast and a most helpful host. A wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Pleasantville, New York
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We happened upon the Inn by searching on-line for a quaint place to stay in Newport. The street is very historic as are all the inns. Rick the innkeeper was very helpful from showing us the best route to the beach to showing us various rooms that we could choose to stay in. Breakfasts were delicious - same menu each day but cooked to your liking. Location was excellent -walking distance to town and the beds were very comfortable. It was a great get-away for me and my husband for a few days.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hoosick, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2010

we recently took a "spurr of the moment" get away with my wife and two children. We were so lucky that we found the clarkston inn. It was such a beautiful inn on a historic street. The rooms were spacious and inviting and the breackfast was great. The nicest part of our experience there was the staff. They were great. The innkeeper "rick" , the housekeeping staff and the breackfast cooks were all so polite and helpful. We cant wait too come back again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This Inn is in a great location - walkable to everything in town and the off street parking is amazingly convenient. There are really comfortable beds and great breakfasts. The office staff is incredibly friendly and VERY helpful with everything. It was perfect with a Mom and two teenagers to use as a home base in Newport. Some of the cleaning staff was a bit abrupt but everything else was terrific.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Mason City, Iowa
Reviewed July 26, 2010

This was my first experience with a B&B. I was looking for a relaxing, laid back, quiet, with old-fashioned New England charm house. A blue room with white accents and a four poster bed was what I had in mind for my much needed R&R. I found the exact room I dreamed of for this at the Clarston, circa1705, on-line. When I arrived, late in the afternoon, a young man guided me into a private parking lot behind the house, VERY RARE in Newport. That was my first pleasant surprise as it was not mentioned in the description. I would recommend parking late in the afternoon for the best spot. This young man waited for me to park, opened my door, stood aside and asked if I would like help with my luggage. He lead me to my room, unlocked the door, said I could freshen up, get a feel for the room and when I was ready I could check-in across the street with Deane. My 4 night stay here was more than pleasant, it was absolutely divine. Sasha served me breakfast 3 of the mornings and I fell in love with her Portuguese French Toast with fresh blueberries. Fresh fruit, fresh juice, great coffee, clean, clean, clean linens. As there is only 1 staff member for this particular house to serve and cook breakfast, if you are in a hurry, you should be one of the first to dine. I was on an R&R so I was not on a time-table for anything. I never once heard one of those annoying things called a cell phone. The host of this house, Rick, was awesome, his building manager, Miss Deane, was most gracious and willing to accomodate your every need or at least give it her best shot. I would hire anyone of his staff to work for me, and I'm very, very picky, bordering on OCD when it comes to the services my company provides. You can and will enjoy your stay in Newport if you choose to stay with Rick at the Clarkston, or perhaps one of his other establishments he has on quiet, little Clark Street. My best regards to the staff. I look forward to having you serve me again!:) At the end of the street (3 houses down) is a converted mansion called the Vanderbilt Hall. Now this is luxury, not my style for room accomadations, but the some of the amenities are. Sasha suggested I go speak with the manager, Derick, to see if I could possibly arrange a spa day without notice or prior reservations. The hotels spa director, Allison Schuman, whom I would HIGHLY recommend, customised a therapeutic massage and special optimizer facial for me and use of all the amenities this suites hotel had to offer for the rest of my stay in Newport. Wonderful gesture that I did not find time to use, but will in the future if I'm every offered that courtesy again. The staff and owner of this magnificent hotel were also more than accomadating. I am just your average, hard-working middle-class Iowan, (I own and operate a janitorial service). I found the price to be quite right for Newport, RI in the middle of tourist season. It was comparable to the hotels and B&B's we have here in the midwest. May the sun ALWAYS be shining on your shoulders and may you have a lovely time in this city by the sea no matter where you stay. Georgia Harlan, Mason City, Iowa 50401

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
NC
Reviewed June 15, 2010

The owner Rick was a very gracious host. Breakfasts though the same variety of offerings each day (we stayed for 3 nights) were cooked to our specification & delicious. The staff was very friendly. Our accomodation were very comfortable. Would look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends