“Cozy, Quaint, and Friendly”
Review of The Clarkeston

The Clarkeston
Ranked #47 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2006

I recently stayed here having found the spot on the Internet. My room was lovely, it was a great place to stay for a woman traveling alone and a bargain if you stay during the week! The room was clean, the innkeepers very friendly, breakfast was made to order the next day, and the location was perfect. Rumor has it that it's haunted, but if so, even the resident ghost was friendly.

While there I met a couple who had been staying there over the past 10 years, knowing they have repeat customers is very reassuring. I very much enjoyed my stay and will definitely return. Newport is a lovely town and this was a lovely place to stay.

Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank MsBonVoyage

Palos Hills, IL
Reviewed May 14, 2006

Thanks to Rick and staff, our first B&B experience was outstanding. We stayed in the beautifully appointed Doris Duke Room and were lulled out of our comfortable bed by the lovely "to order" breakfasts. Rick and staff accommodated every request making our 5 days stay a wonderful new experience. Thanks to all.

Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
22175 Forest Hall Ave. Cassopolis, Mi.
Reviewed May 10, 2006

Cannot say enough about the wonderful room and accomodations at the Clarkston. We were in the Alva Vanderbilt room...none better. .Dining room spotless...Food wonderful. Help gracious. Couldn't do enough. We will be back along with friends who were in the Duke room. It was easy to pretend I was Alva..Thanks Rick and staff.

• Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed October 26, 2005

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Clarkeston and loved it! The staff really care that you enjoy your stay here and do not hesitate to fulfill any reqest. I was very comfortable during my stay at the Clarkeston, I had the Harry Belmont room which has a king bed and jacuzzi.
They serve a full breakfast downstairs in the dining room which was good and had a nice variety each day, the omelets were particularly good. The location is certainly convenient and they provide free parking.

• Stayed: October 2005
WAYNE, NJ
Reviewed September 11, 2005

I booked 2 rooms. They were rooms with a king bed and a Jucuzzi. The room was clean, updated and well furnished. WE enjoyed our stay. The "front desk" was helpful and well informed. The breakfast was even tasty. I would stay here or at one of their other properties at some future time. The location cannot be beat.

• Stayed: August 2005
Reviewed June 18, 2005

My mother and I recently stayed at The Clarkeston for 3 night/4 day getaway, and we found the accomodations to be quite lovely. The location is absolutely ideal, as it is central to all the shopping areas and very close to the trolley line that takes you to all the mansions. Our room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. We especially appreciated our bathroom, as it offered two sinks (very convenient when two women are getting ready in the morning!), as well as a fantastic jacuzzi tub. The full breakfasts were also excellent -- made-to-order eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit-filled pancakes, french toast, etc. At times the wait for breakfast could be rather long (one woman does all the cooking for the house with only a griddle in a small kitchen area), but we learned just to go a little earlier if we needed to get out by a certain time. The manager of the inns, Rick, was extremely helpful in giving us restaurant tips. He told us about several midweek dinner specials (e.g. 2 entrees for $20 w/ bottle of wine) at some fine restaurants, which we thoroughly appreciated and enjoyed. Overall, while I'm sure there are more luxurious accomodations in Newport, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someplace where you get nearly as much "bang for the buck" as you do here. I'm quite particular about lodging accomodations, and I'd recommend this inn to others without reservation.

• Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank WestCoastTraveler
Reviewed November 2, 2003

We got to Newport on the offseason for a nice romantic getaway and these people have never disappointed us! The gold fixtured jacuzzis and baths are gorgeous. We love the Wynstone the best; these people own the Clarkston, Wynstone, and Cleveland House. It appears they now own the Admiral Farragut next door with a wonderful homey breakfast room.

These people are not cheap but we love the service and the rooms so it is worth it!

4  Thank BostonYourMyHome