“Labor day weekend”

Ranked #59 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Labor day weekend”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

It was our 1st wedding anniversary , and we decided to stay in Newport RI. We went with the Cleveland House!!! Never stayed in a Bed and Breakfast before..it was absolutely wonderful. Joe checked us in; he was very personable, professional and knew everywhere to send us, parking was tough, but Joe took care of our car, moved it when needed, never had to worry about it!!! They have a few different houses on this street in Newport...and we will definately be back next year, clean rooms ; great staff....and a wonderful breakfast...ALL included!!!! Nice Job Cleveland house!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ANewporter, Owner at Cleveland House, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Congratulations on your first year anniversary! We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you make it a tradition.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Yes, I gave it a four*, obviously a B&B and old, but its in a great location! We had our choice of rooms, small but clean, the staff was helpful and courteous, and breakfast was wonderful. Parking was just next door. We could walk everywhere and enjoyed our time in Newport

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Claudia37209
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This place was awesome!!!! Right in the heart of Newport; you can not beat it!!! This Inn is one of a few on the same street!!! What I liked best was that you could go to any of the houses for breakfast in the morning!!!! Definately will be back in October!!! Joe was great too; it was his second day and he made great recommendations for dinner and some great ideas for mansion tours and a harbor tours; hope to see you in October Joe; thanks for the great stay!!!!!

1 Thank Jonathan T
NYC
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Rm 302..woman at check in not customer friendly..the B&B office was a mess with papers all over the walls..no parking in their lot and was told to go to municipal lot a block away..checked in..no help getting heavy suitcase up 2 flights after 2 recent major surgeries..returned for night at 11:45 pm.Had been given key which was for front door and my room as well...tried for 10 mins to lock front door after I came in..could not lock it.  Room old and dingy...yuk.  .no alarm clock
Bathroom sink backs up with water.  Breakfast was English muffin and watermelon.  It wasn't until after I had eaten that and some other people came in that a young lady said guests could go to the b&b next door for a hot breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gkealy
Albany, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Let me start out by saying I'm not a "hotel snob". I've stayed in all types of lodging over the years, from Motel 6 and Best Westerns, to the occasional 5-star resort and the occasional B & B. That being said, I've never experienced anything quite like the Cleveland House. A couple of positives.....because you can always find a silver lining if you look hard enough.....the location can't be beat; once we parked our car, there it stayed for the duration of our visit. We were able to walk everywhere from the inn. Also, our room ended up being nice (read further for caveat), and the orange juice was terrific. Now....on to the rest. I booked my room through Booking.com, and figured everything was set, as it is when I normally book lodging online. However, for some reason, this time it required two phone calls from the Cleveland House to me at home prior to my arrival. I was confused, and I couldn't imagine why it was so difficult to simply put us in the room we had reserved. According to Rick, the manager, he wanted to switch us to a room we'd find more appealing. Also, three times I had to answer the question of how many people were in my party. Upon arrival, we were given the choice of three different rooms. The building we did NOT choose to stay in had stained carpets and was quite rustic-looking, which actually is in keeping with the colonial area. We chose a room in the Cleveland House. He unseparated the beds for us, turning a king into two twins (they did this while we were out). When we came back to the room that day, whoever had been in our room to fix the beds had deposited a bunch of paper towels in our toilet and I had to use the plunger to get the towels out, or surely our toilet would have plugged up on us. Going back to the check in procedure, upon check in, we were given no information about the breakfast situation, so the next morning when we went downstairs all we saw was toast, cold cereal and coffee. We figured it was strange, but that's just the way it was. If it wasn't for the pleasant young employee who just happened to be standing there, we would never have known that there was a full breakfast included at either of two of the other inns right next door (also owned by this same owner). We found it odd that when we checked in we weren't given this basic breakfast info. We went next door and sat there for a good 15 minutes, waiting for someone to come over to us. When the young teen finally approached us to take our order, we had no idea what our choices were because there was no menu, no posted listing of options and no food out on display. I guess we were just supposed to conjure up some ideas for ourselves. We ordered foods that would be "quick" because we had already wasted so much time on this "breakfast fiasco". We didn't want to wait for sausage or bacon to be cooked, so just ordered french toast. After we ate we went on our way and enjoyed a beautiful day in Newport. We returned to our room at approx. 7 p.m. to find that apparently, the Cleveland House doesn't offer daily maid service. Garbage was full, beds unmade, towels right where we left them. We laughed, because it was so in keeping with the overall experience so far, and we didn't say anything because we started questioning ourselves, thinking maybe it's commonplace for B&Bs to NOT make up your room for you. Anyway, we went to bed and all was well with the world. The beds were quite comfy. The next morning, after a late night out, and we decided to skip the full breakfast because we didn't want to wait, so we went downstairs to our own continental breakfast in the Cleveland House. It was 9:30 a.m. The coffee urn was empty and there was enough OJ for only one person. There was no butter for my toast, and there was nobody there to refill anything. An elderly woman (a guest) started poking around in the little kitchen and started a new pot of coffee. Unbelievable! As we walked around Newport during our stay we couldn't help but notice the incredible number of inns and B&Bs, and we just kept wondering aloud how this inn (and consortium of inns) remains in business.

Room Tip: Read above....I've said it all.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan S
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Upon arrival, my girlfriend and I were upgraded immediately to a room that Rick thought we would enjoy more. We were booked for the Melville House and he moved us here. He even gave us the option to pick between two rooms.He knew we had been riding for a long time and immediately offered us water. The location is PERFECT for walking in Newport! We only had to take the the motorcycle out to Ocean Drive and Cliff Walk. Parking is tight but we were on a bike and Rick had a nice, safe cubby hole for us to park in. The breakfast was very tasty with several choices. Our room was beautiful and clean. My girlfriend wasn't feeling well one afternoon and the staff printed me a "do not disturb" sign to put on the door so she could rest. I would, without a doubt, recommend any of the Clarke Street properties to anyone staying in Newport! The price seems expensive until you view all the other area B&B's and even the hotels.

The only thing we were put off by was the one "waitress" at breakfast. She seemed to be a very unhappy lady and it showed through her service. She had a strong accent that was hard to understand when she was ripping off the choices for breakfast. She really needs to slow down, greet the guests in a happy manner and SMILE!!!! But to counter her, we had a WONDERFUL male server the next two days. I didn't catch his name but he was young and had tattoos. He was VERY friendly and took great care of everyone in the breakfast room! Rick was a little short with me on the phone when I called to ask some questions the week prior to my arrival, but once I arrived, I seen why. The guy runs around like a nut! He has to be one of the busiest, hardest working guys I've ever seen. So if you can't catch him on the phone, just wait until a few days before you arrive and he will call you and give you the attention you need.

1 Thank eyesforplum
San Jose, CA
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Place was quaint and the old was part of its charm. Stayed in August 2012. Room was small but bed was comfortable. Bathroom had been updated. It was very close within walking distance of shopping and restaurants. Breakfast was included but the cooks were overwhelmed both mornings by the amount of people staying in the B&B. We had room 302. It was at the top of the stairs in the main bldg. Rooms would probably be too small to have a family in.....

Staff was very nice and very accommodating any way they could be!

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms at the front of the hotel - there is alot of traffic in and out the front e...