“Just Amazing!”

Hydrangea House Inn
Ranked #4 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 29, 2007

My husband took me on a 3 night stay to Newport for my birthday. I did a lot of research before we picked the Hydrangea House and we were NOT disappointed!

What a beautiful place. We stayed in the Chesterfield Suite, which was simply beautiful, elegant, updated, clean, and soooo loaded with amazing features. We had a kind size poster bed that was like sleeping on a cloud, a HUGE jacuzzi tub for two, a double steam shower, plasma TV....oh i could go on and on...

The breakfast I am told are wonderful, I don't eat in the mornings but they did look yummy. The owners and staff are warm, friendly, and helpful. I thought that the location was also perfect.

The only problem I had was that the room was extremely warm. I am always warm and like to sleep with windows open and need the room cool at night to sleep. The windows in the bedroom did not open and i was extremely uncomfortable the 1st night. Luckily it cooled off outside the next 2 days and made the room a little bit better for me.

I was a little sad to leave, I liked feeling like royalty. If you are going to Newport and looking for a superior B&B don't look any further.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sugarmag13

Reviewed March 9, 2007

My wife and I just returned from two wonderful nights at Hydrangea House. We live on the Cape and needed a quick bit of luxury. From the beautiful "Carrie in Paris" suite - to the decadent breakfasts and cookies. Twas grand. Great attention to the details, conversations about the area, good location! Not pretentious at all... Gentle, easy, warm... Our first visit to a B&B.
We were not quite sure- but we'll be back. ohhhh and the coffee!
tis bliss!

Stayed: March 2007
4  Thank aileuron
Reviewed December 6, 2006

So many reviews of this Inn are superlative and mine will be no different. I chose it because I was proposing to my then girlfriend that weekend, and I will simply say there is no more romantic, helpfulfully staffed, beautiful Inn in Newport. Oh by the way, she said yes! I cannot press the point more that no matter the price, this place is worth it!!!!! The breakfast was unbelievable (and being that I proposed that morning at sunrise on the ocean, to say I ate all my breakfaast with all that residual anxiety, that says a lot!).

ps I am no fan of the bed and breakfast, but the way it is done here? Have no reservations...it is impecable!!!

• Stayed: November 2004, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TrumpetofDestiny
Reviewed November 4, 2006

First time at this location and very pleased with the room, cleanliness and hospitality. The location is charming and a quick walk to just about everything in Newport. We stayed in the smallest room, but unless you are spending extended time in your room, it was perfect. My favorite feature was the unique gas fireplace built into the wall at about 4 feet up from the floor. Just set the room temp, and the fire comes on/off to meet your desired temp.

The host and hostess were excellent. Always ready to give you directions or make a reservation. The breakfast was extra special too.

We would highly recommend this place for a weekend in Newport.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank islandmap
Reviewed November 4, 2006

My husband and I chose the Hydrangea House after reviewing many B&B's online. We were not disappointed. My husband was a bit skeptical about a B&B experience as we had one that was not so good. He did this for me - as he promised he would try again - and for our ten year anniversary, it could not have been more perfect. We only stayed one night as we have 2 little ones and one on the way - but it was the best 24 hours we have had in a long time. Yes, a little pricey - but we like to splurge on special occasions. We stayed in the Hydrangea suite and LOVED it. Absolutely beautiful! Raspberry pancakes were amazing. Dinner recommendations were great. Grant and Dennis were very friendly and helpful - great innkeepers. Location was perfect. We don't often go to the same place twice, but we will definitely go back here. We have already picked which room we want next! Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank puggysmom
Reviewed September 23, 2006

I don't know where to start. Grant, Dennis and Jamie really do a magnificent job. The Hydrangea House is simply beautiful. It's elegantly decorated and so homey. You really feel right at home. The breakfasts are worth waking up for, and they are enough to keep you going all day. We were treated to mornings of green chili omelets, bread pudding (Oh my gosh, the BEST I've ever had!!) and an egg, grits and sausage casserole. Aside from the hot dish each morning, you are also given a selection of homemade granola, yogurts and fresh fruit. The coffee is great!!

They are so hospitable, and make you feel like family. They welcome you into their home like they've known you for years.
The only negative thing I can say is that we were in the Carrie in Paris Suite...beautiful, but it's at the front of the Inn, facing Bellevue Avenue. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but there was a rowdy group gathered in front of the hotel across the street and they felt it was fine to be screaming, laughing, and talking very loudly at midnight. Again, this has no bearing on the Hydrangea House, and if it wasn't for that, the stay would have been absolutely perfect...and that was only one of the nights.

The marble shower was HUGE...you could have fit 4 people in there easily!! The back verandah overlooking the gardens is such a serene place to sit and read or just relax while enjoying the a good cup of coffee. Everything is very clean and meticulous. They deserve all of the accolades they have received. We hope to get back there soon!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank boysmom2
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Just got back from a great 3 day weekend stay at the Hydrangea. It's in a wonderful central location, within 5-10 minutes walk to the shops and restaurants of Newport and the whole house is beautifully decorated. The rooms are as lovely as on the website (unlike other places I've been to).

My husband and I travel a lot and prefer to stay in boutique/luxury inns and B&Bs instead of large, anonymous hotels. Out of all the inns and B&Bs we've stayed in, the Hydrangea had the CLEANEST rooms - absolutely spotless! and the BEST gourmet breakfasts.

The only very minor negatives were
1) the lack of coffee/tea facilities - only available in the morning but it would be nice to allow guests the opportunity to make themselves a cup of tea or coffee in the afternoon or evening.
2) lack of a computer for guest use - I don't like to travel with my laptop while on holiday, so having a computer would have been helpful in getting local restaurant menus and area attraction info.

Overall, my husband and I had a wonderful time and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple