Hydrangea House Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
$212
The Attwater(Newport)(Great Value!)
$219
Hotels.com
$399
Hotel Viking(Newport)(Great Value!)
$204
  • Restaurant
Gurney's Newport Resort & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
$245
$450
$425
Wellington Resort(Newport)(Great Value!)
$225
All reviewschesterfield suitesteam showerwine and cheesewinter gardenhomemade yogurtmy husband and ifrittersb bveranda roomcookiesother guestseach morningbeautiful dining roomback porchwonderful hostsbed and breakfastwithin walking distance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in the Little Red Verandah Room. Yes, as the website says, it is small, but it is big enough for two and big by NYC standards. And the price is definitely right for the superb level of service and location of the inn - walking distance to everything. It is a quiet room, with its own private entrance off the back porch. The inn-keepers, Grant and Dennis, have run the place for 25 years and they have really learned their craft well. The rooms have been done with attention to detail and breakfast was perfection, including a delightfully thick home made yogurt, fresh fruit, as well as a different entree and breakfast meat. At check-in, the host asked about dietary restrictions and I even saw that they cooked a special gluten-free breakfast for one guest (though I thoroughly enjoyed my gluten-laden breakfasts!). There was a wine and cheese hour in the afternoon, which was a nice touch. The two-person steam shower was quite decadent and the towels, toiletries and linens top-shelf. Free internet, free parking added to the sweet stay. Negatives? The AC was a separate unit, and could get noisy, so I ended up keeping it in fan mode overnight so it would stay the same noise level all night. I just cranked up the AC before I went to sleep to get the room cool enough. Dennis and Grant are lovely, friendly - without being intrusive. I will be back there in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Each room has its own unique attributes. Some have a private entrance off the porch and others are accessible through the main hallway of the inn. Some have a luxurious soaking tub and others, just a great shower. Just depends what you are looking for! The innkeepers can help you choose if you call ahead.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank barbfam
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night in the Wintergarden Room. Very nice B&B about 10 minutes from the main road in Newport. Room was clean and well done. Nice jacuzzi in the room and nice terrace off the room. Breakfast was very well done. A little pricey but it was a great stay. Inn keeper is very nice and not obtrusive at all.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We cannot say enough about the very gracious hosts and staff at the Hydrangea House Inn in Newport. Our one night stay was in the "French Country Room" which was impeccably decorated in brilliant colors of bright golden yellow and aqua blue very traditional looking French beddings and curtains not to mention the luxurious bathroom. I would give it a 5 star rating for cleanliness, décor, breakfast (spectacular and bountiful) as well as the hospitality and location.
We will definitely recommend the Hydrangea to our friends and look forward to returning there again ourselves for a longer stay next summer.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gooley15
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My husband and I decided on a last minute weekend trip to Newport RI. We decided on the Hydrangea House after reading reviews on line and we were not disappointed. The place is beautiful and spotless with a great location and free parking. We stayed in the first floor garden suite which was gorgeous and while convenient to the parking area, was very private. Naturally the hydrangeas in the garden area were spectacular. The owners were very accomodating and knowledgeable about the town. We especially appreciated that when we decided to switch our plans for the day of touring the mansions and hit the beach due to the 90 degree weather, they provided beach chairs and towels. Their recommendations for dinner were terrific...Fluke Wine Bar and Scales and Shells. Plus I really looked forward to coming back at night and enjoying the chocolate chip cookies.
We love staying at a B&B because of the personal service and the uniqueness of the property. I would highly recommend the Hydrangea House

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patricia A
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Although HHI is a b&b rather than a hotel, they graciously accommodated our late-night check in. The location is great for accessing the marina, where there are some souvenir-type shops, restaurants and sailboats for hire. It was about two -three blocks downhill to the marina. We took a longer walk to the visitors center to get a trolley tour of Newport. The walk was doable, just slightly uncomfortable at 37 weeks pregnant. We found out when we got there that it has a parking lot. For a brief stay in Newport I would recommend the 2-hour trolley tour to get your bearings, walk to the marina, a visit to the beach for kite-flying and, of course a couple mansion tours. If weather permits, charter a sunset sailboat tour. We had never stayed at a B&B before and found the property quite lovely. We were a bit uncomfortable with the communal breakfast so we will likely stick to hotels. I highly recommend HHI, but it was a bit pricey for the very small room and the bed was soooo high off the ground and not so comfortable, which made sleeping a challenge at 37 weeks pregnant. Unfortunately, rest and relaxation was the goal of the trip, but comfort eluded me here- more likely due to my condition than anything else. Next time we will stay at the large hotel across the street.

• Stayed: October 2012