“Nice place to spend a weekend in Newport”
Review of The Mariner House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
The Mariner House
Ranked #80 of 96 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I went to Newport for a relaxing weekend and we got it. The Mariner house is a lovely B&B and Sharon the owner is a very nice and helpful woman. When we arrived Sharon directed us to an off street parking spot so we wouldn't be ticketed she then gave us a tour of the house. As many other reviews note, there are a LOT of teddy bears. I don't care one way or another for stuffed animals, but Sharon loves them and they are her 'thing' and I found it sweet how she had stories about where they came from. They are all over the common spaces, but it's fine since you will spend most of your time outside and not in the house.

We had a room with a private bath. Both the bedroom and bath were spotless. The room was pretty comfortable with room to spread out a bit. There was an AC which we didn't need to use, but I would have liked to open the windows to get a breeze in the afternoon, but I couldn't figure out how to keep them open (this may have been a problem with me and old windows, not the window itself). We slept pretty comfortably on the bed, but it did creak a bit so we just slept.

The house is within 5 min walk to the top of the wharfs and we walked everywhere. There was so much to do and Sharon really knows her attractions and will give you all sorts of information. If you take the time to chat with her for a bit you will learn so much about the area, the history of the house and all sorts of things you can do during your stay. Just a note, she can have long winded stories in the morning which do annoy some people. I didn't mind at all since my family is like that too and I'm used to it.

If you plan to visit Newport and want a mid- to low-priced place to stay that is close to everything where you will be out most of the time, I would recommend the Mariner. If you want a place that you can hang out in the B&B much of the time in quiet, find some place else. There is some outdoor space to hang out, but that's about it, and you will likely get caught up in a conversation with Sharon (which is not a bad thing I think).

Room Tip: Keep in mind 2 rooms have a shared bathroom and 2 rooms have private baths.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RinnaS86

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Cozy B&B conveniently located (walking distance) to the main harbor & all it's restaurants & shops. The owner, Sharon, has been warm & accommodating in all the years my friends & I have come here each summer for the music festivals. Home-cooked breakfasts with unique recipes (various lasagna-style omelets, pancakes or french toast, fresh-baked pastries). Various size rooms, including 2 with queen-size beds & private baths. Convenient parking for maybe 3 cars in drive behind home, or on the side street.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This B&B is very well situated on a quiet street, but within walking distance to the harbor. My wife and I stayed in the larger front bedroom with a queen-size bed and a private bath. The room was very comfortable, and the bathroom has a tub-shower with plenty of hot water. The bathroom sink was a little small, but that is not surprising in a restored historic house. The proprietor, Sharon, is very personable, and offered lots of hearty options at breakfast. She served fresh fruit, juice, a casserole egg dish, French toast, and fresh baked pastry. Parking is off the street, in a driveway behind the house, so there are none of the typical Newport parking problems. We found this B&B to be a very pleasant place to spend a weekend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The other reviews are too kind. I wish I had read them before we stayed at The Mariner House. It was the only place we could find at the last minute for a busy Newport weekend. The place is shockingly worn out and shabby and a little sad. The owner, Sharon, rules with an iron fist and is verbally intrusive and abusive. We were reprimanded 3 times during our overnight stay. The teddy bear tour (you can not sit in the house because these stuffed creatures cover ever surface and I'm positive you aren't allowed to touch them) is mandatory. So is breakfast, whether you want it or not. A bell was run and our names were called at 9 am sharp to appear at the table with the guests and Sharon sits next to you, chats and watches you eat. Sharon implied several times that we were to send her a teddy bear to add to her collection as a sign of appreciation. Nothing was appreciated here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cherropa
Reviewed September 17, 2009

The Mariner House is located in a residential area but within walking distance of downtown area. Hostess is pleasant and talkative. Breakfasts good. However, our room was extremely small and down a hall from its bathroom. The House was built in 1850, and has been improved pretty much only as needed to serve as a B&B. The price is very reasonable for the Newport area, but you pretty much get what you pay for.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2007

The website for The Mariner House is deceiving. What you see is NOT what you get. Although it has an affordable price range, I have stayed at far better B&B's for the money.

We selected this B&B as it had twin beds. However, the room was dismal, drab and untastefully decorated. The purple fireplace is an eyesore and we shared a common bathroom where you had to be superman to turn the shower on.

One window of the 3 section bay window opened and had a small accordian screen which afforded little or no air. The other windows were either warped or painted shut.

A small window airconditioner was in the only other window between the beds. When turned on, it sounded like a jet engine and rattled the entire window making it impossible to sleep.

Our first night 's sleep was almost non-existent. When asked by the innkeeper in the morning how we slept, we told her that we were unable to because of the lack of air and noisy airconditioner. Her response was: "Well there's nothing I can do about that."

I agree with everything the reviewer from Connecticut wrote.

The innkeeper runs a very "tight ship" with a lot of rules. You are definitely reminded of the rules if you break them. Even to the point of being threatened with a "surcharge on your bill."

The Mariner House website says it is a member of the Newport Bed & Breakfast Association, but when I checked that website I could not find The Mariner House listed.

There's a lot more I could say, but I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say that if you are looking for a B&B in Newport, pass this one by! I sure will!!

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Speakup_7
Reviewed August 19, 2007

The Mariner House is a very affordable B&B in a decent location in Newport. We paid $165 a night on a summer weekend, for a double room with a private bath. You’d be hard pressed to find something else that reasonable in the heart of Newport. That said, you get what you pay for. The Mariner House is a little worn and could use updating. Although our room was clean, it just had that “worn” appearance to it, and didn’t quite have the quaintness that you find in other, pricier Newport B&Bs. There was worn wall to wall carpeting in the room, and the linens and bed were just ok.

The sun shone right in our room so we were up before 7 am the first day, as the cheap blinds didn’t keep out the sun. (The 2nd day we hung a beach towel over the window, and that helped).

Sharon, the hostess, is very friendly and outgoing.. if you don’t want to deal with conversations with your B&B proprietor, this is not the place for you, as she will certainly take the time to tell you the history of the Mariner House and tell you in detail about her Teddy Bear collection (there are bears EVERYWHERE). There’s not really any common area to sit, as some B&Bs have.

Breakfast is included, and it was good. You eat with the other guests and Sharon will sit with you as well. Again, if you’re not looking to be social on your Newport getaway, don’t stay here.
The time for Breakfast is 9 am sharp, and she will ring a bell to ensure you come down on time.

I love Newport, and highly recommend the town. It should be part of any visit to New England. I’ve stayed in other B&Bs in Newport, and all in all, I think we’d spend a little more to get a little more next time. That said, if you’re really on a tight budget and want to experience Newport, the Mariner House isn’t terrible. It’s fine as a place to sleep. Just plan on spending your time in town – not in your room.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple