“Loved the Admiral Weaver Inn”
Review of Admiral Weaver Inn

Admiral Weaver Inn
Ranked #76 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Loved the Admiral Weaver Inn”
Reviewed July 11, 2005

We had a wonderful time at the Admiral Weaver Inn. The room was nice, the staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast home-cooked and tasty. The rooms clean.

Stayed April 2005
5 Thank Chaya2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 19, 2004

Where do I begin? One of my best friends got married in Newport this past weekend, which also happened to be the same weekend as the International Boat Show. I couldn’t find ANYTHING in Newport at any level of quality for under $150/night and so I was happy when I stumbled over the Admiral Weaver website online –which makes the place seem pretty nice--and then called and found out that they still had rooms available. The website makes no mention whatsoever about the owner’s religious preferences, which frankly surprises me, because I’m sure that there are some people out there who would appreciate finding a Kosher B&B in Newport. There’s a lot of religious Kosher and Jewish stuff in the kitchen, sitting room, and hallways, including mezzuzahs on almost every doorway in the house. I just wish that I’d been warned about this, because once you get there, it’s enough to be uncomfortable if you don’t happen to be Jewish (and maybe even if you are).

First of all, the website is blatantly misleading and describes the Inn as a “sunny, authentic estate residence” which certainly makes it sound grand, when in reality it is a rundown house in a crappy residential neighborhood. (The house is actually located on a squalid alley off the back of the ball park.) The alley is barely wide enough for one car to get through. I get the feeling that the owner simply painted the entire inside of the house with white paint and had the back yard covered with asphalt to make a parking lot and then called it a bed & breakfast. Incidentally, the back wall of the cramped parking lot is the wall of the ball park, so this place has the potential to be noisy, though it wasn’t when we were there.

It’s described as having two decks to relax on, but each deck was very small (maybe 10x10) and covered with junk that you had to wade through on your way to the kitchen door, which is just off the parking lot, so it’s the one that everyone ends up using. It’s kind of odd to enter a B&B by going up tiny, steep, stairs, onto a tiny deck piled with junk, through a cramped, unpleasant kitchen, into a narrow, cramped hallway. Feels more like the junky, unwelcome house of an unpleasant relative. Uncomfortable beds with outdated mattresses and polyester bedding do not spell comfort to me. The website also described a small garden and fish pond, which sounds nice, right? Well, there are a few unruly, weedy-looking shrubs poking out between the asphalt of the parking lot and the foundation of the house, but I wouldn’t personally feel comfortable calling them a garden. Also, just for the fun of it, my husband and I walked around the entire building in search of the fish pond, but it was nowhere to be found. Hmmmm…..by that point, it didn’t surprise us.

The website states “In the morning, guests choose a full breakfast cooked to order”—wow, that sounds great, right? Well, even thought the owner went on-and-on about the bountiful breakfast including homemade omelettes and muffins at the time I booked the room online, when we arrived, we found out that she only cooks a full breakfast on Sundays, and then only “if there are enough people to bother with”. The rest of the week (including Saturdays), she puts out some fruit, corn flakes, pitchers of OJ and milk, and a few blueberry muffins in a ziplock bag that looked like they were a couple of days old. We were also lucky enough to have a bowl of hardboiled eggs on the particular Saturday morning that we were there, a fact she seemed inordinately proud of. Furthermore, since this is a Kosher B&B, breakfast is dairy only (i.e. eggs and cheese) and no bacon, sausage, etc. Again, I think it’s great that there’s a Kosher B&B in Newport, but for someone who doesn’t eat Kosher, it feels misleading.

But there’s more…”snuggle into a private room with your own fire”—again, that sounds great, huh? Well, only the first floor bedroom apparently has a fireplace. We were on the THIRD floor, up a very steep set of stairs, in a small, cramped room, that apparently had all the leftover furniture in it. Did I mention that it took forever for hot water to find it’s way up to that level? Old, uncomfortable mattress, furniture in many different styles from old to junk fiberboard. Surprisingly, there was a mini-fridge and a VCR, which I must say was the most positive part of our entire stay. Unfortunately, the fridge was propped up on broken pieces of styrofoam, which I only discovered when I looked for a place to plug in my cell phone charger and had to move the fridge a little to get to it. The TV was old and small, with a vintage remote that didn’t work with the VCR. The bathroom was small and there was nowhere to put anything. The mirror above the sink was one of those small, rectangular mirrors with the brown plastic frame that you can buy at WalMart for $3—the frame had been roughly painted white, though the paint missed many spots, and there was still a big chunk of blue painter’s tape stuck to the mirror that they didn’t bother to remove.

An anecdote: Saturday night, my husband and I went out to eat. We returned to the Inn around 9pm, planning to watch a video we’d rented earlier that day. When we drove into the parking lot, however, every single space was taken (I counted 10 cars and 8 parking spaces, so there were cars squeezed into every possible corner already, including a Volvo station wagon or two and some large SUVs = too many big cars in too few small spaces). Since the street in front of the Inn was barely wide enough to drive a single car through, I didn’t feel safe parking my car on the street. So, I ran inside to ask the Innkeeper what to do (I thought that maybe the extra cars were due to some friends of hers or the neighbors, or something like that since the Inn only has 6 rooms and there were 10 cars and she appeared to be living alone in the house). I went to the Office, but the door was closed and there was a note that said “I’m in Room 4—come right up and knock on the door if you need anything.” As I walked up the stairs, I thought to myself, “My, what a friendly note. Maybe this isn’t all as bad as we’ve imagined.” Since it was barely 9pm on a Saturday night, I figured that she was probably just reading or watching TV or something, so I went up and knocked on the door. Turns out she was already asleep and very cranky when she came to the door and I felt awful for having woken her up, but also surprised that she would leave a note like that if she didn’t mean it. I stammered that all of the spaces in the lot were taken and she told me to squeeze my car in. Then I told her there were already 10 cars in the lot and no space anywhere unless I wanted to block others in. She glared at me and told me to park on the street and I started to walk away and said that I would figure something out and that I was terribly sorry and embarrassed that I’d woken her up. Then she came out into the hallway and told me to park in her neighbor’s driveway between the two houses. I thanked her and took off, feeling terrible for having woken her up, and even more irked at this most recent stupid example of disorganization. We parked our car in the neighbor’s driveway, with visions of being towed in the middle of the night. The next morning, we had to leave very early at 7am, and we went quietly down the stairs and took our stuff out the front door to the car. As I was opening the front door, I caught sight of her in the kitchen and I waved and smiled a little and said quietly, “We have to leave early---good-bye!” She came tearing down the hallway screeching, “Where is the key? Where is the key?” Meanwhile, I’m imagining that the entire house must be up after that! I whispered to her that it was upstairs in the room and thanked her, then turned to leave and she screeched, “Be quiet, you’ll wake everyone up!” and motioned to the door of the first floor room, which was 2 feet away from us. I kind of nodded at her and just wanted to get the hell out of there……

These were my experiences; draw your own conclusions from them.

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels