“Perfect for me!”
Review of Jailhouse Inn

Jailhouse Inn
Ranked #20 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 4, 2007

If you are like me you are looking for a clean, centrally located hotel with some charm that doesn't break the bank. After all the hotel is not the destination. The Jailhouse hotel was a quant friendly inn one block from the harbor and the strip of restaurants and bars. It is also very close to the baseball field. I loved it! And the bonus was that it was reasonably priced.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank edz34

Reviewed June 30, 2007

I'll start with the positives: Staff was extremely friendly. Great parking and it was centrally located within walking distance of the main streets and restaurants. They had good wireless internet (although not included in the rate).

On the negatives: No elevator, had to carry my bag up three floors--no one offered to help. Once I got there, the room was stuffy and hot (about 90 degrees), no they didn't turn the air on prior to my arrival. There were two air conditioning units and only one seemed to work-- I didn't figure this out until the next day after sweating all night. The room had two queen beds, however the mattress (on each) was almost as hard as a wood plank--after several sleepless nights I came to believe that the beds must have been left over from the jail days. There were stains on the comforters and carpet. Overall, the room was dingy, the furniture was tired, and the whole effect was extremely depressing.

The breakfast was continental, but it was not what I would have expected from a B&B that was charging me $179 per night for the room. The coffee was good, but the other offerings were as depressing as the room. Instead I ate breakfast at the Corner Cafe located about a mile away.

I was traveling for business and when I checked out I felt as if I had served time there. I doubt that I would ever recommend this to anyone, nor would I stay there again.

Other recommendations: For an inexpensive but homey breakfast try the Corner Cafe on Broadway near the city hall and fire dept.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Coconuts
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We stayed at the Jailhouse Inn May 25-28, 2007. What we loved most was the LOCATION! It was right in between the fun, busy Thames Street and Wharfs and the more laid back, local joints on Broadway. We walked everywhere! The staff at the Inn were friendly and went out of their way to help us with everything we needed! The room was like a typical hotel room--bed, desk, bathroom, TV and a continental breakfast. Not a fancy place at all, but a nice place to sleep and shower. It was a bit thrilling to know that it used to be a jail!!! The price was right here too, we'd definitely go back!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meganc83
Reviewed December 29, 2006

Overall, this hotel was just okay. We stayed in the only king-sized bedroom, which was on the third floor (no elevator). There were two window air conditioning units, only one of which really seemed to work. The windows had chipping paint (we just opened them to get air rather than trying to decipher the A/C units). When we arrived in our room, it was very stuffy, which was a bit of a disappointment that they didn't turn on the air or open the windows beforehand.

The bed and linens were fine. The TV was old (but in Newport, why sit around and watch TV?). The breakfast wasn't that great (cold cereal, etc), but it worked.

The hotel staff was very nice though.

There are no vending machines in the hotel, but there's a village pantry fairly close by. Just keep that in mind to buy beverages and snacks while you're out.

Overall, it was allright, but not a very romantic setting for a honeymoon. The location wasn't too bad, but we ended up driving to various places, parking, and then walking.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IndyVic
Reviewed August 28, 2006

I recently took my son to the Navy Academy prep school. The room was clean overall. Only the blinds needed attention. We are not exactly the tourist types. The place was close to where I saw a lot of tourists/people walking in groups. The beds were very comfortable and the refrigerator was a nice added value. This is not a really fancy place but it had a nice decorum. The breakfast had better selection than most of the chain places. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank RancherDad
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I just returned from the Jailhouse Inn. It was nice. I would definitely return there.

Thumbs up for: Location, Cell #19, Cookies, Free water bottles, Bathroom toiletries, Staff, Free newspaper & dining guides, Ice machine, Free parking, Free coffee,tea & hot chocolate and Porch.

Thumbs down for: Holely towels, Stained sheets, and Hotel price.

I am definitely going to return, but from Sunday - Thursday. They raise the price up a hundred dollars or more [depending on the season] for Friday and Saturday.

The breakfast was decent. The menu for breakfast is: bagels, toast, eggs & bacon, danishes, cereals [hot & cold].

We had a refrigerator in our room and a small living room with a pull out bed.

I definitely recommend this inn for people who are not picky or fincky about their lodges. If you are looking for luxury, then go to the Marriot, Hyatt, or Hotel Viking. But if you are looking for a place to lay your head in and be mostly outside, then this Inn is the place for you. We were out and about during our stay, so this was perfect for us. We will be staying here each and every time we need a place to stay in Newport, Rhode Island.

Reviewed October 8, 2005

This is a great little hotel. My husband and I stayed here for two nights on our mini honeymoon in late August '05. It was just what we were looking for: a quiet, good value hotel with a quirky side. It's not deluxe, but more like a nice b&b.

The Jailhouse has gotten some not so stellar reviews since I stayed there. But I think this may have to do with its top rating on Tripadvisor. This isn't the Four Seasons; if you are looking for a super cushy hotel with bells and whistles, this isn't it.

Newport is an expensive town, but with the Jailhouse Inn you are getting one of the better deals in town.

• Stayed: August 2005