All reviewscarriage housecookiescontinental breakfastrooftop deckthe main housebagelsfree parkingfirst floorcozy roomthe breakfast areanight's sleepnice breakfastlocated within walking distancefour poster bedlocation was perfectthames streetmansion tour
Reviewed October 24, 2017 via mobile

First of all let me say that my wife and I are not bed and breakfast people. The staff and management were very nice. Recommended restaurants and explained house “procedures” and amenities. The building is old and the rooms are dated. But the location and price made it a good choice for our one night stay. It is close to restaurants and wharf but a drive to the mansions. Free parking. Decent continental breakfast with home baked goods. The woman who bakes was present and could not have been nicer! The lady staffing the evening desk was a local who helped us with suggestions for dining and sightseeing. They will help with bags as it is a difficult climb up the steps. If you are ok with an old building that is not fancy this will be ok for you.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2017

We arrived in town about an hour before check-in and thought we might see if the room was ready early. I parked in the back lot and walked inside, and heard a voice in the back room say they would be out in a minute. A woman came out to the front desk and just stared at us. No smile, or hello, or how are you, or welcome. Nothing but awkward silence. So I explained who I was and that I knew I was early but thought I’d stop in to see if the room was ready yet. She flipped through her paperwork and just said “No.” Followed by more awkward silence. She asked if my car was in the lot and if I wanted to leave it there, and I said yes. She looked at me and said “Are you between the lines, over the lines, or on the lines?” I actually didn’t know how to respond to this, because so far she had been uncomfortably unwelcoming, and was now bordering on condescending. I replied “Uh, between the lines, I know how to park a car”. She said “I have to ask because a lot of people don’t.” If your initial reaction to your customers is to assume that they are all idiots and can’t drive or follow the rules, why on earth are you working in the service industry?

I had read previous reviews on here describing a woman that sounds just like this, and the inn’s manager replied saying that sometimes people have a bad day. In fact, I believe the woman we interacted with IS the manager. This doesn’t just sound like having a bad day and instead seems to be a deeper problem. As someone who works in the service and hospitality industry, I firmly believe that those in a customer-facing position should be polite and professional toward the people paying for a service, no matter the circumstances. I am quite certain that I did not deserve to be spoken to like that.

I used to live in Newport (just around the corner from the inn actually) and had thought we might patronize a local business rather than stay with friends or in an AirBnB. After the first few minutes at the desk, I was ready to cancel my reservation and walk out, even if it meant money lost. I was actually so appalled by the interaction that I wasn’t sure how to react, so we left to walk around for an hour until check-in while I considered my options.

I remained hopeful, however, and decided to stay. Luckily, the rest of the staff were a delight. The ladies working downstairs in the kitchen (Darlene & Felicia I believe?), the gentleman working the desk at night - everyone else was very friendly and welcoming, so this was a pleasant change.

As far as the inn itself is concerned: the room was sufficient, breakfast was fine (made even better by the happy and accommodating ladies there!), fast wifi, parking is an excellent benefit, and location is great of course. Loved the upstairs patio.

So all in all, it was a fine stay. I would like to thank the other staff at the inn for improving my experience.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2017

Possibly the worst B & B I have ever been to. We were greeted by a rude and condescending woman. The accommodations are dark, musty, noisy, and uncomfortable. Breakfast the first day had nice fresh croissants. Second day the same croissants, literally. But a day older. Absolutely dire.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank smeghead39
Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

Stayed for one night on the third floor which is difficult to lug suitcases up to! The carpet on the stairs is worn and overall the place could do with some upgrading. Room was clean and tidy. Breakfast was serve yourself with a selection of cereals, coffee and some breads. Parking was handy and the location was close to the harbour but not the mansions.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2017

Went with two friends and stayed at the Apartment/Suite. It was very clean and nice. With a short walk you can reach the pier and have a great time just strolling the area. The breakfast was also good and had all the variety the three of us needed. Definitely want to go back there again!

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends