Yankee Peddler Inn
Hotel Viking(Newport)
Gilded(Newport)
The Attwater(Newport)
  • Restaurant
All reviewscarriage housecookiescontinental breakfastrooftop deckthe main househard boiled eggsnew englandwithin walking distancebagelson site parkingfree parkingthe breakfast areathames streetcozy roomfirst floornight's sleepnice breakfast
Reviewed October 22, 2008

We had a very ominous start after we pulled into the parking lot and got out of our car to head inside and check-in. We seemed to have walked into a loud "conversation" that two of the Inn employees/keepers were having; one from the roof and one from the ground - arguing in front of guests about what the other should be doing, ultimately ending with the guy yelling down to the lady to "Chill out" and her response "No" as she huffed and stomped back into the hotel in front of us. No apologies for the show, of course.

So I don't doubt that there are some very nice rooms in this little Inn -- they have a total of 20 rooms available for rent, and once or twice I peaked through some open doors while housekeeping was tidying up and some on the first floor seemed pretty decent. But if you ever get assigned lucky number 13 (Norman Bates' room), I'd strongly recommend that you ask for another room or a refund. Not sure if this room used to be a closet or a storage room that they finally decided they could make some money on by converting it, but my opinion is that they should just board it up and not offer it to any more unsuspecting guests. The size of the room, though small, was not an issue because it is somewhat expected for this area. However, what was off-putting was the fact that the Inn put absolutely no effort into making the space remotely inviting. The walls were bare and white, with visible smudges, cracks and faultlines. The bed was as white as the walls with no decorations anywhere in the room -- minus one old portrait above the bed that was chipped and falling apart; and another framed picture of a sculpture of Artemis perhaps (note: not a drawing or a painting, a photograph of a sculpture), that looked like it was torn out of a museum lovers magazine or something of that ilk. There was no closet but a narrow chest of drawers with a tiny "wardrobe" type cabinet attached for you to hang a jacket or two. The TV sitting on top of the chest looked like the old monitor off an ancient PC I used to have in college. And the wires were hanging out very visibly and snaked into a rat's nest onto a power strip on the floor in plain view in front of the chest of drawers. The bathroom was small but adequate. A tall person could shower without crouching; but that assumes anyone of any height can shower at all. 3 out of the 4 showers I took in that room ended with me shivering in the tub with soap in my hair. Not sure if it is when others shower or when the Inn decides to run a load of laundry, but more often than not the water pressure would completely drop or disappear. During these moments if there was any water coming out of the shower head at all, it resembled one of those weak urinary streams for which they advertise medication to old guys on TV.

The breakfast offering was not impressive but that didn't bother us too much. Cereal or a muffin was always plenty for me in the mornings. And we didn't get up early enough to encounter any crowding or seating issues others complained about on this site. But the seating area is very small so it wouldn't surprise me.

The rest of the place seems pretty clean, although in need of some updates. The rooftop garden is very quaint and well-manicured. And the Inn itself is in a great location. Probably why they were able to charge us $250 a night for an awesomely crappy room and mediocre service. I should note that one person, Mariana I think was her name, was extremely charming and nice -- but everyone else was either abrasive or a drip.

I hate to be so harsh, but I've stayed at a lot of bed and breakfasts, inns, and hotels all over the country in the past, and for the $$ this was sub-par. I think I've talked to others who have had fine experiences here, but I guess you just need to stay away from # 13 even if you're not superstitious.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rbw3
Reviewed October 6, 2008

My boyfriend and I were traveling to New England for 11 days, and the first night we were traveling we did not schedule a place to stay just to see where we ended up. I tried calling a few places in newport, RI before finding that this Inn had 2 rooms available that night. She told me she would hold the room for us until we got there. When we arrived Marina I believe her name was, was extremely nice, let us see both rooms before we decided on which one to stay in, and gave us the downlow on what to expect at the hotel, etc. She also gave us a discount on the room, which was extremely nice. It was situated on a street that seemed to be alittle busy at night, and we could hear people talking outside the building during the night, but that isn't the fault of the Inn. The only things that was weird was the parking situation. They didn't have enough spaces for every room they had, so people had to basically park others in who had spaces, and when someone in a space had to get out, the other cars had to be moved ie: their car keys had to be left at the front desk. We went walking the next morning downtown (it's about 5 block downhill from this Inn) until the people parking us in left, so it wasn't an issue for us. But if someone would have an issue leaving their car keys, then you probably shouldn't stay here. Both hosts were extremely helpful and nice.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Athena5681
Reviewed October 2, 2008

This comment is in reference to their non-existent customer service. I had a reservation to stay for one night on September 25, 2008. Unfortunately, due to a problem with my airline reservations, I was unable to make the trip and called the Inn on the evening of September 23, 2008 to let them know that I couldn't make my reservation. Because of their cancellation policy, I lost the entire amount that I had paid for the reservation. While I have issues with their policy, that is not the reason for this review.

When I called, the person that answered the phone (clerk?) was so rude. I explained that there was an issue with my flight and asked if there was anything that could be done. This was her comment..."No". That's it. Not "I'm sorry", "That's our policy", etc. Just "No" and then silence. I asked if I couldn't get a credit to use at a later time and she said "Oh yeah, you can switch the reservation to another day within a month." Although that didn't work out for me, I would have never have known about it unless I had kept questioning her. Finally, after her hostile answer to all of my questions, I just told her that I wouldn't be there on the 25th and hung up on her.

Again, I understand that it's the policy and I really didn't expect to get a refund. However, because of the attitude of this person, I won't be staying at this inn when I reschedule my trip. I can only imagine what the reaction would be if I were asking for some kind of service.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank GA_Travel_Lover2008
Reviewed September 8, 2008

This was our 3rd year in a row and 2nd stay with our 3 children. Again we were not dissapointed by this lovely and charming inn. We love the fact that they allow 5 in a room. Other hotels would require you to purchase a 2nd room. Not here they gave us a very large and comfortable air mattress to accomodate us.
The rooms are very quaint , clean, and comfortable, especially the beds. We stay in a 2 room suite which is great for our size family, but the bathroom is extremely small in those rooms. We don't mind at all but would ask when booking about that as some rooms have much larger bathrooms.
The staff is very friendly, especially Jane, she is our favorite and feels like a longtime friend.
The breakfast in continental, but there is a large variety to choose from. Fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, danishes, waffels, cereal ect. Also tea, and coffee available all day. On the weekends cheese and wine.
They have the most adorable rooftop garden that we met our friends in each night with a bottle of wine and met some new ones.
Location is fantastic and within walking distance to the harbor and Bellvue (mansions). We brought our bikes and biked all over town. Ocean drive is a short distance by bike and absolutley beautiful views. Not to mention the gorgeous ocean side homes.
Note there are no elevators.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank serenitygirlNewYork
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Not ready to return home from our New England vacation, we swung into Newport without a net and found ourselves comfortably ensconced at the Yankee Peddler Inn (we got the last room available, due to a last-minute cancellation). We thought the Inn was exceptionally nice and homey...Jane's a doll, and the breakfast and setting are wonderful. The place is impeccably clean; fresh white linens...and so many pillows!! One extra night away turned into two, thanks to the Yankee Peddler.

signed,