“You can probably find better”
Review of Yankee Peddler Inn

Yankee Peddler Inn
Ranked #25 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My wife, daughter and I recently stayed here (late June/early July 2012). The rates in Newport for lodging are high and my wife was looking to save a little money. We ended up here. Although the staff was mostly helpful/friendly and the on-site parking is a plus, the inn itself is nothing special.

We stayed in room 19 (in the carriage house). The windows of the room are directly on the street. And while not the busiest street in Newport it has enough traffic to make it noisy. Luckily we were there in the summer and with the A/C and dehumidifier running it masked a lot of the traffic noise. Also the shower faucet was leaking badly and the first night I was unable to shower as it only provided scalding hot water with no cold at all. We brought this to the attention of the staff and it was fixed the next day (both the leaking and the hot/cold water).

The breakfast is uninspired, as others have also mentioned. Juice/coffee, grocery store breads, cereal and packaged oatmeal that had sat so long that the contents had hardened.

This inn could be nicer with a little more care given by the owners. Maybe just a couple of fresh local items for breakfast, for example.

The rooftop deck is a nice spot and the inn itself is in a good location within an easy walk of Thames street and Bellevue Ave.

In retrospect we wish we had splurged just a bit more on our accommodations and stayed in a more memorable inn. We wouldn't go out of our way to stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 19 (in the carriage house) is directly on the road. Avoid if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank EricAndJen

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was a splurge (room rates are $300 +). Location is excellent - close but not too close to Thames Street and wharf activity (all within walking distance). Onsite parking is included and a real plus. Rooms are fine with antiques and colonial era history. Staff is extremely helpful in making suggestions and reservations for sightseeing and dining. Outdoor deck garden is lovely.

Room Tip: Room 14 (on the 3rd floor) overlooks the pretty deck garden. Exercise comes with the view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelinlight08
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed in the apparently infamous room 13... and, really, I quite liked it, in fact, so much so that I stayed in it a second time! Its a simple, plain room, but it lacks the clutter some bed and breakfast places have in their guest rooms, and I loved the combination bureau/desk that was in the room. The bed was comfortable, and there were plenty of fresh linens for the bathroom.

Speaking of the bathroom, it is a touch on the small side, although it was just fine for me. In general, I would recommend that taller people avoid room 13, as the ceiling slopes slightly on a couple of the sides; this is true in the bathroom as well.

Service was extremely friendly - one of the staff saw me looking through the cereal options, and offered to get me a larger selection (which she did). Breakfast options were pretty good, although the fruit looked a bit over-ripe some of the mornings. The options included yogurt, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, the aforementioned fruit, English muffins, and cereal. For drinks, there was orange juice, milk, coffee, and tea.

I also enjoyed the deck that is accessible from between the second and third floors; the flowering trees were in full bloom when I was there, and they were lovely to look at.

Room Tip: If you're a small person, don't listen to folks complaining about room thirteen - its clean...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Damariscotta
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed at this inn the last weekend in June during the America's Cup trials. We made our reservations three weeks in advance and were quoted a special rate. I had an uneasy feeling about the conversation I had with the young man when I made the initial reservation so, the day of travel, i decided to call and confirm - they had no reservation even though he took my credit card information! Fortunately, Laura the manager was very nice and remedied the situation by offering us a bottle of wine and having a room available. We were very disappointed in the breakfast (which is one of my favorite things about staying at an inn)...store bought mini muffins, bagels, and waffles. Oatmeal was packaged and boxed cereal was offered. Serve yourself and clean up yourself - we were surprised to see a tip jar on the counter as the guests do their own cleaning up. One last thing - air conditioner in room #1 was so loud i couldn't sleep and it barely cooled off the room.

Location is great - close to many shops and downtown seaport.

Room Tip: Room #1 was close to the street and noisy.
2  Thank TerryH924
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Dear Terry H,

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Yankee Peddler. We are thrilled you came to Newport to enjoy the America's Cup World Series, it was a very busy and exciting time for our town.

I apologize for the mix up with your reservation, Laura is a very hands-on manager and handles each guest's stay with care and regard and am very glad this worked out well.

Being in the Newport Historic District in a 17th century inn is surely a big part of our charm, but having a large kitchen for heavy cooking is sadly not an option for us. Our included breakfast offers a varied range of light menu options, but I am very sorry we disappointed you.

We hope you will come and stay with us another time, we appreciate your visit.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Courtney van Beuren

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Charming old home. Small pretty rooms and #14 has a small bath but all is clean, check-in people helpful will make reservatons for you and best part is parking on the side off Mary Street. You can walk to downtown area in under 10 minutes. Many restaurants are within walking distance. See my review of Bouchard.
There is a roof top garden for sitting or reading or bringing your own drinks.
Breakfast includes many choices - hard boiled eggs, waffles, cold cereal lots of coffee and tea anytime as well as a bowl of fruit left out for all day snacking with cookies. Try it.

Room Tip: # 13 if you don't mind walking to the third floor.
2  Thank snoopysister
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at the carriage house for two nights. Was our first time at a bed and breakfast, and I had hoped this would be more romantic than a hotel. Our room was nearly underground, which I hadn't expected upon reserving. Going down a small set of stairs sort of felt like descending into a basement, and although the weather was gray, I think the underground structure made the room darker.

Not a big deal, but fyi the TV was very teeny-tiny. Wi-fi was very low, hardly usable. Bed was comfortable. Quiet enough to get a good night's sleep.

Was most disappointed with the breakfast. To me, that's part of the appeal of staying at a bed and breakfast, and honestly it seemed no different from something at a budget hotel. Coffee was fine, but there was nothing fresh except a bowl of fruit and some hard-boiled eggs. Rest of the options were pastries, sugary cereal, and what tasted like frozen waffles.

On the bright side, it is very close to downtown, has a parking lot and the staff was friendly. We also got a package with our room, which included two passes for a mansion tour, a coupon that covered dinner at a very nice restaurant, and a bottle of chardonnay (though our room had no refrigerator).

Perhaps the inn would've been more tolerable in nicer weather - a fresh hot breakfast would've made a big difference!

Overall, the next time I'm in Newport I think I'll try another inn.

2  Thank Megan C
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Stayed at the inn last week having stayed there a few years ago. Place is shabbier, windows dirty in the carriage house, room was extremely noisy starting at 5:30 AM from traffic -- we turned on the air conditioner just to drown out the noise. We'd have been in trouble if we needed it for cooling, because it didn't cool the room. WiFi promised as part of accommodations, but found out it was only in the common area breakfast room. Continental breakfast mediocre.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the carriage house or any room that fronts onto Touro St.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family