“Very Disappointed!!!”

Ranked #17 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
northern ohio
“Very Disappointed!!!”
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Stayed here a few years ago and loved it. Very disppointed in how run down this place has become. Carpeting was so dirty that I kept my socks on. Windows had handprints along with general dirtiness. Bed and pillows were awful. Went looking for a piece of paper and pencil and the drawer handle fell apart in my hand! No paper or pencil either. Bathroom door wouldn't close. Not just stuck. Wouldn't close at all! Coffee pot empty at 8:30 in the morning. No one attending continental breakfast so no one to help! Would have told the indifferent clerk of my displeasure upon check out but wasn't asked. Just a few years ago I would have rated this place as the best to stay in Newport. A Super 8 has better amenities than The Harborside.. Stay away! Stay far, far away!

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank ohiomollycat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London
Reviewed May 21, 2007

We stayed at the Harborside Inn Hotel for a Saturday and Sunday night whilst in from London for a wedding. We paid a lot of money for our room and we were travelling with a 7 1/2 month old. They placed us in a room directly over the bar from the next door hotel which had a live band playing incredibly loud music until 12:30 in the morning. So loud, that our son's travel cot was moving across the floor. We complained several times and were told that they were going to lower the volume but the volume only continued to increase as each set went on. Apparently there were more than 11 complaints that night. When we spoke to the manager she said that everyone is told that they are a downtown hotel and that if we felt that way we shouldn't have booked there. My parents, who booked the hotel for us, were never told that, and we have stayed in "downtown" hotels all over Europe without a problem. I insisted that they needed to tell people as they booked about the live music but was told that they were happy with their description. When we asked for at least the Saturday night free we were laughed at and told well we can give you 15% off. We had 2 rooms booked for 2 nights which came to over $1000, the least they could have done was provide a ruined night for free.

• Liked — room was clean, location was good
  • Disliked — loud music next door
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
St. Louis
Reviewed May 10, 2007

We stayed one night on May 6th as we were heading back to the airport in Hartford the next day. The location is what sold me and after reading the other reviews of the hotel here on Trip Advisor, I was convinced to give this hotel a try.

We arrived early in the morning and was greeted by Erin at the desk who advised us to please return at 1:30pm and she would make sure that the staff prepared our room first. She also found out that we wanted to take the Ocean Drive scenic route and gave us the directions on how to get there.

We returned to the hotel and again, greeted by Erin and she gave us our room keys. The room was a split level 2 bedroom with great views of the water! My partner sure was surprised to find this out as I had kept it a secret. The room size was very large for both levels, the bathroom was very nice too.

We slept with the windows open and was nice to wake up to the sound of seagulls along the water. A very nice continental breakfast was just down the hall in an end room and nicely equipped with all the usuals and then some.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will be staying here next year again!

• Liked — The split level room with bedroom upstairs
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
massachusetts
Reviewed January 1, 2007

We had a wonderful time at the Harborside Inn. From the moment we got there to checkout we felt comfortable, welcome and at home. We have stayed at many places in Newport and this inn by far was the best! The room was large and clean, the staff was so nice, very friendly. The only draw back was the stairs, there is no elevator and we were on the 3rd floor. The breakfast room was a nice treat, it was opened all day and night for coffee, teas and snacks. Not to mention wine and cheese when we 1st arrived. The location is perfect, right within walking to EVERYTHING!

• Liked — the staff and location
  • Disliked — the stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — pack light
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrsdevo
Winnipeg
Reviewed December 23, 2006

My husband and I had booked a hotel online for our honeymoon and when we arrived we were not happy with the location since it was far from everything in Newport. That is when we found this hotel. They were awesome!! They accomodated us last minute and set us up at a GREAT rate. The staff was very nice, right in the middle of Newport, tons of restaurants and shops everywhere, right on the water, awesome view, good breakfast... we couldn't have been happier. They made our honeymoon a memorable one.

Stayed August 2005
1 Thank sp_ken82
ct, usa
Reviewed December 11, 2006

We booked this with great trepidation having read some of the reviews on here. However, we had a great 2 night stay. The welcome was good, our room was lovely - we had 3 children with us and had a room that had an upstairs built in, there was ample room for the 5 of us. It was spotless and the bathroom was lovely. There was some initial confusion regarding a travel crib we had booked but the staff worked hard to resolve that quickly for us. OK, the breakfast might not be the greatest but there is lots of choice. The staff told us to make ourselves at home and we helped ourselves to tea etc from the breakfast room whenever we needed it. A great location too.

• Liked — Characterful room
  • Disliked — getting 3 kids up all the stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — get a room with a view
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank babiesonboard
Boston
Reviewed December 5, 2006

My husband and I were hoping for a lovely evening away from Boston to celebrate our anniversary. When we arrived no one was in the reception area and we had to wait for at least 5 minutes for someone to arrive. I am typically not one to complain, but here goes.

When we entered the room, at first I was really pleased. The room looked very nice. Then I walked into the bathroom and noticed it had not been cleaned. There was no toilet paper, there was[--] on the toilet, there were towels on the floor, the glasses were dirty, and there was hair and dust all over the floor.

We had to leave quickly to go to evening plans, so since there was once again no one at the reception desk, I left a note saying that our bathroom had not been cleaned and we needed toilet paper.

When we returned I was hoping for a clean bathroom. Instead, the towels that were once on the floor were not just drapped over the towel rack, there was toilet paper, but the floor, the glasses and the toilet was still dirty.

Getting pretty frustrated at this point because we paid way too much to have a dirty room. So, we asked the receptionist to please come and clean the bathroom. (I knew this was not her job, and she made it clear it was not her job, but she came.) The bathroom was a little better, but definitely not CLEAN. The floor was dirty, there was still [--] on the toilet and she did not even give us clean towels.

As we headed to bed, I continued to be frustrated with the dirt, but tried to put it behind me. Then when I laid something on the nightstand, I couldn't believe the layer of dust that was there. It was crazy. There was dust all over all of the furniture in the room. It made me wonder if the sheets on the bed were even clean. We both have allergies and when we woke up we couldn't breathe because of all the dust. The room felt like it hadn't been cleaned in 100 years.

The continental breakfast provided by the Inn was completely lame! There were no clean plates or spoons and the food selection was quite modest. There are too many really fun places to eat in Newport to waste your time with THIS continental breakfast!

On Monday morning we called the manager to complain about the dirty room, and she said all she could take off is $20 because that's how much she pays for housekeeping. We were furious! We paid WAY TOO MUCH for the condition of the room.

We will never stay at the Harborside Inn again and if you want to spend your money wisely, you won't stay there either. I think the Econo Lodge down the street would have been a cleaner more friendly place to stay!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The room was dirty and gross.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple