“Good rates and convenient”
Review of Pineapple Inn

Pineapple Inn
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Boston, ma
“Good rates and convenient”
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Seems like everyone who is giving bad reviews is looking for a hi-end hotel for bargain basement prices.
I come back every year because the staff is friendly, prices are BETTER than any place around with same quality rooms.
It is convenient taking the trolley from there so I can leave my car at the motel.
Sure it's not the fanciest place but in this economy I need to save as much $$ as I can without compromise.
I met the new guy running the place too, seems very eager to make sure we are satisfied.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Supramann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Vermont
Reviewed August 21, 2009

It stank, in every way. The room was not cleaned on the second day of our visit. The sheets stunk, the blankets stunk. I was afraid to put my head down on the pillow. The price was the same as other quality hotels ~300 for 2 nights. awful, awful, awful. MIcrowave didn't work. Can't say enough bad things about this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank originalplatypus

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

New Ulm, Minnesota
Reviewed August 15, 2009

This is a sick property in need of life support. As a budget traveler by nature and experience, I have low expectations and simply expect to get what I pay for, but the Pineapple Inn doesn't make the grade. Worn carpet, a broken wall light fixture, a partially-clogged drain in the shower/tub, stopper missing from the sink, battered walls, and an all-around dingy and dank look and feel. Worst of all, the bed was hard as concrete and the pillows were ready for the dumpster. We had made reservations for two nights through Orbitz, but we called Orbitz and canceled the second night and went down the road less than a mile to a Motel 6; it's on the same road as the Pineapple Inn, but the name changes from Coddington Hwy to Connell Hwy. No microwave and fridge there, but a bright, clean, comfortable room for a few dollars less and closer to downtown Newport. I'm surprised that there are any positive reviews posted on this site; you DON"T get what you paid for if you stay here. My advice: if you're looking for a cheap room, check into the Motel 6 ... they're leaving the lights on for you

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheolgoyProfessor
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 12, 2009

The hotel room was located in a secluded part of the property and was scary. The door to the room barely closed and left a gap between the door and the door jam. It was dark and dungy and very old! The room was dirty and dusty, there were cobwebs in the windows and the lamp shades. The bathroom was dirty and the outlet in near the sink was burnt. The windows were filthy and the seals were broken. It was so bad that we didn't even sleep in the room!!! The price was good but you get what you pay for...in this case NOTHING!

We should have known what we were in for...when we were checking in there was a housekeeper cleaning a room while sick/vomiting. A real nice welcome!

WORST HOTEL EVER!!!! My advice...spend the extra money and stay in a real hotel!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Norrelle
upstate NY
Reviewed August 6, 2009

If low budget and a place to lay your head are your main priorities, then great, that is what you will get here. The location of the Pineapple Inn is convenient, as it is a pleasant drive into the parts of Newport that most people are there to see. It is an even shorter ride to Middletown, like 50'. Check-in was uneventful. Our room had a coffee maker, refrigerator and air conditioning. I can't remember if it had a microwave oven. Those were all the positives. Oh wait, there was free internet access. If this is all that you need, then you might be quite content here. Now for the not so good news. If you have any problems with musty odors, then this may not be the place for you. I am not super-sensitive to mustiness, but even I woke up in the middle of the night choking a bit on the smell. I'm not sure what it needs - dehumidifiers? The back of the door to the room was in need of a good cleaning. Maybe it's not the sort of thing that management or the cleaning staff tend to notice - when they enter a room they tend to leave the door wide open. But let me tell you, it is one of the first things that customers see. We customers walk in, close the door and BAM! there it is, a filthy door. Not a good sign. Despite the bubbling paint on the toilet lid and elsewhere, and missing shower head, the bathroom was in working order. No blow dryer or ironing board in the room. Decor was uncoordinated but not atrocious. Unfortunately, the clean-sheeted bed was very hard on the joints. Cheaply made or older mattresses tend to be that way.

As we were packing up to leave we met another couple who were also leaving. They had a less than stellar experience, complete with a wet bathroom floor caused by a leaking toilet, and nonfunctional microwave. As I understand it, the management offered to fix those things right away, once they were brought to their attention. The clincher was when it became apparant that "interesting characters" who seemed to always be hanging out outside of their rooms actually live in those rooms. As in, they call it home. Add it all up and although it was not the worst place that I've ever seen, it was an experience that I am not anxious to repeat.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank morgan1
Long Island, NY
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We went to visit my family for Valentine's Day Weekend. We were trying to save money. And money we saved. We had the king size room. The price was excellent $40 a night. We stood for 4 nights. We had a mini refrigerator & microwave in the room. That was great! The bed was not too great. The sheets kept falling off the bed. The lighting was not bright. The smoke alarm was hanging from the ceiling. Not connected to the ceiling. The towels were scratchy [Just like the Verizon Commercial - Well you will find the towels scratchy]. The toilet kept on clogging up. So needless to say the plumbing wasn't working quite well. The area was close to everything. We were next to Walmart, Stop & Shop, 99 restaurant, etc..... The Grand Slot Casino is close to you, as well. Highway conveniently close too. If you just need a place to rest your head and are not picky about comfort & conveniences, then this is the place for you. I would definitely say this is a no-frills inn. I would only stay here again, if I couldn't afford anything else.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mari S
Cape Cod
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Once or twice a year I visit Newport on business. This is the second time I've stayed at the Pineapple Inn. I have found the staff helpful, the rooms clean and the price far less expensive than anything one can find in the area at this time of year. The room I stayed in this year had a microwave, small refrigerator, coffee pot and a new air conditioner. The bed was comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was perfect. (always a plus in my eyes) If you want Tennis courts, a pool and room service, perhaps you should look elsewhere. But if your looking for clean sheets, a friendly staff and a room that won't break the bank, the Pineapple Inn is the place for you!

• Liked — Price, helpful staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank saltairnut